Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING

hey guys, i have a 2004 honda civic EX, (D17A), i have a AEM V2 intake and a greddy cat back EVO 2 exhaust, and i just installed my VAFC, i checked, and rechecked all the solder points and stuff, and i ran through intial setup, and its an unstable idle, and it stalled once when i was revving a bit, and it sounds really boggy and ****, so i just want someone who knows what they're doing to give me FACTORY setting....preferably if not, then some settings that wouldmake all that stuff go away....im gonna call someone up on monday, but i need to be able to drive the car tomorrow so if u guys could please help me out, id appreciate it!!
-Tan
P.S. thanks a LOT dudes... :-D
Old 11-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (BiG DaDDy O)

Did you try and tune with it at all? If you messed with your settings, there should be a reset to default option someplace on there.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (green00EX)

i did the initial setup which "supposedly" does stock settings, but im not sure, so if you could give me a list of numbers for each type of thingy...i just wanna be able to drive it, im gonna take it to a dyno shop (AMS) to have it professionally tuned...thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 09:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BiG DaDDy O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> thingy </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya you should call for a ride and i think you should take it to a shop
Old 11-20-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (civictildeath)

lol, shut up!!!...jk jk, anyways i was just ****** around with it, and i adjsuted the air/fuel ration to +1% at like 1000 - 2600 rpms, and anyway, the car started MUCH faster, AND, it idled a little more stable, and the first couple times i revved it it was fine, and after that it almost stalled a couple times.....so i think i figured it out, my buddy's gonna swing by soon and we're gonna try to fix it, or maybe tomorrow thanks for the help guys, i truly appreciate it....
-tan
Old 11-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shouldn't it just run like stock if you ZERO everything out? there's no point in running a VAFC with tuning either. with your mods, you should be lucky to see a few hp (if any) even with dyno tuning.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:51 AM

it should....hypothetically, but my theory is that its not getting not getting enough air, or maybe its too much, so i still have to mess with that, and i know i wont see too much power, but im gettin headers, and cams soon so the power gains should fly up with beefier cams :-D any more suggestions...cuz this thing needs to be fixed ASAP!!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: (BiG DaDDy O)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BiG DaDDy O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it should....hypothetically, but my theory is that its not getting not getting enough air, or maybe its too much, so i still have to mess with that, and i know i wont see too much power, but im gettin headers, and cams soon so the power gains should fly up with beefier cams :-D any more suggestions...cuz this thing needs to be fixed ASAP!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

COOL!!!!!!! A VAFC can adjust how much air your getting into your motor??!?! Then who the hell needs a stinkin' turbo?!?!

As for something useful....
a VAFC is able to adjust the amount of fuel to accomidate for the new amount of air (it changes with certain mods) your getting in at a certain rpm. I think you can adjust (8 or 12) points and it interpolates the amount of fuel at all the other RPMs between the (8 or 12) points.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:46 PM

OH ****...thanks dude, i thought it was the other way around, you control AIR...ok, NVM, im a big dum - dum....ok so now all i have to do is mess around with it right??.....damn im stupid...lol thanks man
Old 11-21-2004, 06:01 PM

because I have no need for another blown d17 why don't you stop what your doing and simply remove it. It's pretty much useless for you currently and if your cat fails or you ruin your 02 sensor it's just 1 more thing that's going to tax on you
Old 11-21-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: (sans)

im not takin it of...thats for sure, im gonna get it tuned properly....my bud and i are gonna call a garage tomorrow and tune it...thanks dudes...
Old 11-21-2004, 10:35 PM

hundreds of dollars for relatively nothing

maybe it's just me but it seems like your in this situation because you took your own advice and now you want to do it again
Old 11-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i juss got mine...
Old 11-22-2004, 08:41 AM

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (riceburnerryan)

no i didnt take my own advice, if u want to know where i got my advice from i got from a buddy who runs an 11.7 talon tsi, granted he has turbo, but he still knows what hes talking about, and he has an AFC himself...granted again, he has more parts than me but he still knows what hes talkin about, and btw it was 250 bucks not HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS, so please dont insult me and belittle me just because i took the advice of someone who probably knows more than you, i asked for your help in a specific way and if u can only give non constructive information please do not respond to my posts..thank you and have a nice day
Old 11-22-2004, 08:57 AM

just for giggle did you plug the vafc in?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (2lua)

LOL, yes....yes i did
Old 11-22-2004, 09:01 AM

did you get any reading on the map sensor pressure display? cause it sounded like you car is starving for air.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (2lua)

whats that?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BiG DaDDy O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i didnt take my own advice, if u want to know where i got my advice from i got from a buddy who runs an 11.7 talon tsi, granted he has turbo, but he still knows what hes talking about, and he has an AFC himself...granted again, he has more parts than me but he still knows what hes talkin about, and btw it was 250 bucks not HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS, so please dont insult me and belittle me just because i took the advice of someone who probably knows more than you, i asked for your help in a specific way and if u can only give non constructive information please do not respond to my posts..thank you and have a nice day</TD></TR></TABLE>

+ tuning makes it 400 bux = hundreds and hundreds. Maybe it's just me but a 1.7L SOHC engine is a bit different than a 2.0L DOHC with a turbo. And 11.7 is not really bragging rights here in so cal so yawn

Old 11-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BiG DaDDy O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats that?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW
Old 11-23-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (specv5150)

yeah, ur right a 2.0 liter blown dohc is much better than a 1.7 SOHC NO DOUBT at all but the point is its the motor that i WANT to work on, so instead of questioning everything i want to do.....and btw AMS will tune my car for free (DYNO TUNE) cuz i kno a lot ppl over there and so does my bud with the talon, and as for the "WOW" comment, isnt the point of this forum to learn? if not please direct me to any other forum where no one laughs at your knowledge or lack thereof, alright mr. know it all?....thanks anyways we called garage one six and the ecu wiring schematics were diff from 03's and 04's thanks for the help guys, but i think i got it from here and if u have any more IDEAS about what i should do to my car apart from a goddamn engine swap please lemme kno, id love to take some ideas, one of my buddies built a site for my car, i will post the link when i get home, u guys can take a look at it, it has all the stuff that i have planned and if u wanna post some replies w/ some ideas about what i can do that would be great.....im tryin to stay N/A and the goal is to hit 13 secs thanks..peace out...
-Tan
Old 11-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you make sure the sensors are 06 in and 06 out?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BiG DaDDy O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, ur right a 2.0 liter blown dohc is much better than a 1.7 SOHC NO DOUBT at all but the point is its the motor that i WANT to work on, so instead of questioning everything i want to do.....and btw AMS will tune my car for free (DYNO TUNE) cuz i kno a lot ppl over there and so does my bud with the talon, and as for the "WOW" comment, isnt the point of this forum to learn? if not please direct me to any other forum where no one laughs at your knowledge or lack thereof, alright mr. know it all?....thanks anyways we called garage one six and the ecu wiring schematics were diff from 03's and 04's thanks for the help guys, but i think i got it from here and if u have any more IDEAS about what i should do to my car apart from a goddamn engine swap please lemme kno, id love to take some ideas, one of my buddies built a site for my car, i will post the link when i get home, u guys can take a look at it, it has all the stuff that i have planned and if u wanna post some replies w/ some ideas about what i can do that would be great.....im tryin to stay N/A and the goal is to hit 13 secs thanks..peace out...
-Tan</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't knocking you. I was just surprised that you bought an electronic product that can blow up your engine and you dont even know what it does.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you make sure the sensors are 06 in and 06 out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also did you do the throttle auto adjustment? (not sure what its called but where you hold it at WOT for 10 seconds then let off for 10 seconds)?

Also is it set to 4 cyl.?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Re: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING (Luserkid)

yo dudes, it works perfect we had all the settings right, just rob had put the In sensor wire into the Out sensor wire slot and vice versa, anyways it works fine, thanks for the help, sorry i snapped at you, ive been really stressed about this, and i do know what it does, just not the full extent, thanks to all of you who have been extremely patient with me i really apprecuate it

Quick Reply: D17 ENGINE w/ VAFC 2 UNSTABLE IDLE AND STALLING