Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Z6 Oil Pump Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 Oil Pump Question...

So after a lot of searching on google and on here, I have yet to find the answer to my question...

I am building a D16Z6(block)/D16Y8(head) for boost and in doing so, I had to replace the oil pump. After some reading, I have found that Melling makes a good OEM pump so I went with that. The problem however is that the opening on the bottom of the pump that the oil pickup tube/screen connects to is kind of diamond shaped, the same with the gasket that comes with it. The hold on the oil pickup however, is perfectly round. Now what did I miss? Is the factory oil pump diamond shaped as well or just this Melling? Yes it is the right part number in a sealed box for the pump and yes the pickup tube is supposedly from a D16Z6 as it fits right against the pump. I am just concerned about it leaking and not being able to pick up all of the oil I need it too.

Second, quicker question...oil pump porting...worth it or dangerous for the seals?

My build-

D16Y8 Head with:
-Supertech Springs
-Supertech Titanium Retainers
-Bisimoto Street/Strip Cam

D16Z6 Block with:
-Ceramic Coated JE SRP Forged 9:1 Pistons
-Eagle H-Beam Forged Connecting Rods
-JE Tapered Wristpins for high boost applications
-ACL Race Bearings
-Gates Racing Timing Belt
-New Melling Oil Pump
-OEM Headgasket
-Complete Gasket set
-OEM Timing Belt Tensioner

Thanks a lot for any help guys!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: D16Z6 Oil Pump Question...

The OEM pump has a round entry. Also why did you get a Y8 head for boost? they flow significantly worse than their Z6 counterparts, and they are prone to detonation on boost because of their square combustion chambers. If i were you I would get rid of that Y8 head ASAP as it will limit you. Also ACL race bearings are not the best for street use. They are typically very stiff and made for high revving, but not for continuous use. I had them in built turbo D and at the first sight of an oil issue, they all spun.
I'm not saying that you are guarenteed to have problems, but from someone who has had a couple D series turbo builds (and is now doing a rebuild into another one) these are just problems that can be avoided. For bearings I recommend Klevite or OEM Honda.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
The OEM pump has a round entry. Also why did you get a Y8 head for boost? they flow significantly worse than their Z6 counterparts, and they are prone to detonation on boost because of their square combustion chambers. If i were you I would get rid of that Y8 head ASAP as it will limit you. Also ACL race bearings are not the best for street use. They are typically very stiff and made for high revving, but not for continuous use. I had them in built turbo D and at the first sight of an oil issue, they all spun.
I'm not saying that you are guarenteed to have problems, but from someone who has had a couple D series turbo builds (and is now doing a rebuild into another one) these are just problems that can be avoided. For bearings I recommend Klevite or OEM Honda.
Interesting, not sure what the deal with the Melling pump is. I guess I will order the Melling oil screen and see if it matches their pump.

I used a Y8 head because it is what I had, the Z6 head was not rebuildable. I figured I would start off with that and try it out. If I like the build then I will source a spare Z6 head and port it out for use.

I used ACL because...well, everyone has a different opinion on different parts and the horror/success stories aren't 100% across the board for any one choice so I stuck with that my machinist liked. We shall see what happens I guess. If they don't hold up then I guess I will be in the market for some OEM or Klevites to try next.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by likuidphreon
Interesting, not sure what the deal with the Melling pump is. I guess I will order the Melling oil screen and see if it matches their pump.

I used a Y8 head because it is what I had, the Z6 head was not rebuildable. I figured I would start off with that and try it out. If I like the build then I will source a spare Z6 head and port it out for use.

I used ACL because...well, everyone has a different opinion on different parts and the horror/success stories aren't 100% across the board for any one choice so I stuck with that my machinist liked. We shall see what happens I guess. If they don't hold up then I guess I will be in the market for some OEM or Klevites to try next.
yea man hope it works out for you. keep me posted!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd recommend always using OEM Honda for oil pumps.

Good luck with everything, atleast you're not using a Y-series block, yuck!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by likuidphreon
Second, quicker question...oil pump porting...worth it or dangerous for the seals?
I had read a thread probably a year or so ago about deciding to port an oil pump or not. I think there's another option that they call shimming or something like that.. I believe it's what Grumblemarc did on his Honda, IIRC. You could probably find the thread I read. I wanna say I read it somewhere on D-series.org

And about ACL bearings vs. OEM bearings I've read it both ways. Most people tend to recommend OEM bearings a little over ACL however.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like acl and have run them a few times also king is ok. But yes you can shim the pump on the relief spring. I think you wanted to have a thickness of .05 .. Porting is more for volume and shimming the relief spring is more for pressure.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
I like acl and have run them a few times also king is ok. But yes you can shim the pump on the relief spring. I think you wanted to have a thickness of .05 .. Porting is more for volume and shimming the relief spring is more for pressure.
I have heard porting the pump can be risky.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
I'd recommend always using OEM Honda for oil pumps.

Good luck with everything, atleast you're not using a Y-series block, yuck!
had 2 of those already, piece of ****.