Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:34 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please...

Okay I know this is kind of a general question, but here goes anyways.
I just bought a '93 Civic EG with a 1.6 SOHC VTEC. This is my first Honda and it's bone stock. My first mods are going to go as follows:
Password Power Chamber intake (should be arriving anyday now)
Short trow shifter (also should be arriving soon)
Header with a 2.5" collecter
2.5" full exhaust no cat, with a MagnaFlow muffler (found it on Kteller for$185.00)
Chipped ECU, my friend is going to tune it. I hear he's good.

Does that sound like a decent start? If so, where should I go from there? I am on
a slightly tight budget so I have to make my modifications with time. Remember I am new to the Honda scene and I'm just looking to take on a few Mustang V6's or Firebird V6's and a guy with a Celica GT for now... can this be done easily on an all motor D16? Thanks for the advice and suggestions. The new guy

Modified by yeah_its_slow at 6:19 PM 11/10/2005
Old 10-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (D16_vtec93)

To be quite honest dude, I hate these type of answers, but you might want to save your money for a turbo if you plan on running with mustang and firebird v6's. I understand that you are on a tight budget, but it really shouldn't take that long to save up enough $$ for a turbo. This past summer I was able to save up a little more than 3 grand by just not allowing myself to buy stupid crap that I didnt really want. If I can do it, I know you can. With just a bolt on turbo kit, you wont be able to run boost much higher than 8psi but that will be good enough to put you on the same level as a b16 with mild mods. Hope this helps.

-Red
Old 10-24-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (nitrared)

this can not be done easily or cheap for an all motor d, it can b done, just more expensive then say going turbo, and what do u need tuning for? intake and exhaust don't really require much tuning? before you rush into trying to beat cameros and celica's try reading up on honda's and searching around this site, it will do u a world of good,
Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

are the mustang v6's really that hard to keep up with? my friend has a 2000 mustang v6 and he rode with me in my car the other day. He says that my car feels faster than his, but it may just be my cars higher rev tendencies that are misleading. But really, a 195hp mustang weighs quite a bit more than a civic, would it really take that much to keep up? I'm talking about a stock mustang V6 vs. modded D16. thanks for the suggestions, they are much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:13 PM
* B A N N E D *

and the celica is rated at 140hp, so will it take a turbo to keep up with that? I was almost postive I could get 140 out of the d16, please correct me if I am mistaken
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

dude not there not that hard to keep up with hell do a little head work and like cam, and springs, cam gear is your choice, and ull be able to get at the gts now the firebirds the v8s r a diff. story. id go for the turbo if u want to mess with them. but you can keep up with a gt with all the stuff that you got on it now, and you should deffinately be able to walk all over a v6 mustang. hell a celica isnt that fast either. i got a d16z6 and i got intake, full exhaust and i stock clutch and still out run gts. but with a chip you might want to go for a stage 2 or 3 clutch. hope that helps you.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:57 PM

if you need ANY parts for your d16 i have evrything
Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (fuckingfast)

I dont see why you would need a stage 2 or 3 clutch after chipping the engine its not like its gonna be putting out big horses, why do you think so?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

One more thing I forgot to mention. Don't get out on the street and race. You will look like an ***. Go to the strip or the track and get your speed in. Just my $.02.

-Red
Old 10-25-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/QUOTE]<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16_vtec93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the celica is rated at 140hp, so will it take a turbo to keep up with that? I was almost postive I could get 140 out of the d16, please correct me if I am mistaken</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe that's a base model celica... the gt-s are about 180 right? if you're trying to hang wit 140hp cars, that's pretty much like hanging with lower model integras...

IMO... i'd save for a custom turbo.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all you guys make v6 mustangs and the crap version of the celica sound fast... that is crap... i have a 92 cx d16z6 2 1/4 pipeing no cat stock muffler cold air intake and a crappy tuned computer and i am smoking my friends wrx and hanging right next to my friends srt4...now dont make a **** *** mustang or celica sound fast because they are not.. and i am in the process of building all motor single cam for road racing.. going straight has no talent.. plus half the people i know are scared to drive their cares through the twisties.. pussies
Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitrared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One more thing I forgot to mention. Don't get out on the street and race. You will look like an ***. Go to the strip or the track and get your speed in. Just my $.02.

-Red</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well your gonna think this sounds weird, but they're are actually places here in Alabama where its "okay" to street race. Every so often the word gets out about a race night at the industrial park. Its a two lane strip about 3/4 mile thats the size of a four lane. No one drives there day or night and the cops never care about the races. It may not be quite as safe as the track, but its better than racing on roads with traffic and ****... still, the track IS smarter...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:03 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (fms1day)

yeah I was talking about a celica gt not gts, theres a guy I know that keeps asking me to race his Celica VTEC, lol, he thinks that sounds really cool. dumbass. He's the kind of guy that its hard to decide wether to embarass him or not to fool with it at all........ get this, his license plate says "2FASTYO".....

So what do you guys suggest as a decent turbo kit for my engine? I looked at those homemade turbo kits but turned my back on the idea when I saw some of the problems people had with those.....
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM

homemadeturbo is very reliable if done right and puts out horses to

just cause the celica has 140 hp doen mean anyhting....my friend had a 01 celica gt w/ intake/exhaust and i beat him twice in my 270k hatch with intake/exhaust also....skill of the driver is a big factor cause he was putting out whatever HP celicas put out and im only puttin out maybe 100 to the wheels
Old 10-25-2005, 10:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16_vtec93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well your gonna think this sounds weird, but they're are actually places here in Alabama where its "okay" to street race. Every so often the word gets out about a race night at the industrial park. Its a two lane strip about 3/4 mile thats the size of a four lane. No one drives there day or night and the cops never care about the races. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats bullshit dude, i used to go to the races around bham all the time and most erytime we would get ran off by the cops and jus keep switching locations for the night, from industrial to derby to lakeshore etc...and its never "okay" to street race cause <FONT SIZE="5">most</FONT> those ******* out there are reckless and idiot ricers and v8 rednecks
Old 10-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best N/A D16y8/z6 thread ever!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1409008

Much thanks to builthatch for writing that.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (sockvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sockvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats bullshit dude, i used to go to the races around bham all the time and most erytime we would get ran off by the cops</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what you get for trying to race around birmingham...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (Slow EJ8)

thanks for the link
Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16_vtec93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the link </TD></TR></TABLE>

no prob bro... some good info there
Old 10-27-2005, 12:50 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (Slow EJ8)

hey anybody know of a good place to buy a 50 or so shot of nitrous? Jcwhitney is hiiiiiiigh. Do you guys think that would be a good power adder after I put a cam and valvesprings and the higher compression pistons (and the bolt ons)?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:59 PM

305 cameroooooos are sloooow. race those and yoiu should win. or buy my turbo'd honda and make your moms friends wanna date you.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (sockvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sockvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its never "okay" to street race cause <FONT SIZE="5">most</FONT> those ******* out there are reckless and idiot ricers and v8 rednecks</TD></TR></TABLE>
Like I said, take yourself to the track or strip, pay the entry fee, and enjoy. Street racing is too dangerous and the "rewards" of it are never going to be able to outweigh the consequences. One of my friends that I went to high school with, about a month ago, rear ended 2 girls in a CRV at 140 mph, killed the passenger and the driver is still in critical condition at the Vanderbilt Burn Center in Nashville for 3rd degree burns. She is terribly disfigured and has had to have one of her arms amputated. He and the passenger of his vehicle were both released from the hospital just hours after the accident. He is facing 1 charge of 2nd degree murder and assault and 2 charges of assault with intent to commit 2nd degree murder. If the driver of the CRV dies, he will be facing 2 charges of 2nd degree murder and assault and 1 charge of assault with intent to commit 2nd degree murder. Now you go enjoy your rice, or jdm, or what have you, but be smart. It is instances like the case of my friend, that makes any person behind the wheel of a modified Honda look bad. You may not care what you make yourself look like, but remember that there are some of us who are dedicated to Hondas that would appreciate it if you didn't make us look like ***. I'm done preaching now. Peace.
-Red

Old 10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
* B A N N E D *

yeah, I guy that I am aquainted with was coming home from the track last week and decided to race someone on his way home. His canaro blew a tire a 140
and two 15 year old kids who were in his backseat were killed in the accident. Some people are just stupid.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (yeah_its_slow)

Hey bro, if you want some power from your D16, you need to do the mini-me conversion! Its a DX block with a Vtec head! Your compression is gonna shoot up real high! Build your internals on the block, with those lil bolt on mods you've done and the mini-me conversion, you'll be seeing the mustang in your rear view mirror right from the start!! So go to a junkyard and buy a DX block (bottom end) and build the internals. You might wanna buy a lightweight flywheel and a F1 racing clutch, i could help you out, i get hooked up with a lightweight 7.5 pound flywheel and a F1 racing cluth for about $300-$350.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please... (SiNgLe-SlaM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiNgLe-SlaM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey bro, if you want some power from your D16, you need to do the mini-me conversion! Its a DX block with a Vtec head! Your compression is gonna shoot up real high! Build your internals on the block, with those lil bolt on mods you've done and the mini-me conversion, you'll be seeing the mustang in your rear view mirror right from the start!! So go to a junkyard and buy a DX block (bottom end) and build the internals. You might wanna buy a lightweight flywheel and a F1 racing clutch, i could help you out, i get hooked up with a lightweight 7.5 pound flywheel and a F1 racing cluth for about $300-$350.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ROFL! Dude shut up if you dont know what your talking about.

First, he already has a Vetc engine, so why put a DX block under it? How in the world does that make sence?!

Second, im too lazy to point out everything else that is wrong with your post

Third, please end yourself.

That is all.

Quick Reply: D16Z6... need suggestions for build up please...