Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16z6 N/A build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16z6 N/A build

ok ive been looking around multiple sites and looking for what would be a good setup for a high comp build.

the thing is though is that im on a tight budget. and the only reason why i am doin a build in my z6 is b/c i happen to have an extra z6 block.

so what would u suggest that would be good but not to expensive. i also had realzed that its costs more than a boost setup but it more reliable. and that exactly what i want. now the z6 i have now im runnning 15.4-15.6 stock.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16z6 N/A build (fryguy190)

i dont know but prepare to get flamed by the b-lovers. everyone is going to say do a dohc build. not worth it to do a sohc build blah blah blah. i say go for it and make it your own. also people are gonna yell turbo cause thats all they know.

giving the heads up. hopefully you get some good USEFUL responses.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 AM

no I've got your back. You gotta realize that with a NA build you are gonna have to greatly spend alot more than a turbo build. i was going the NA route but after doing much needed research. I'm going the Turbo path. i was thinking of motor swap to a DOHC ... but d series all the way!
On turbo with stock internals, you shouldn't push your D over 220hp. Yes, its been done to well over 350 before, but I wouldn't try it. If you're thinking well, 220 hp isnt a lot then think again! Remember that you're driving a little FWD Civic that barely breaks 1-ton. At 220hp, it will MOVE!
Off of NA it will be decient to break 160. After that is serious money!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the.benson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.benson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no I've got your back. You gotta realize that with a NA build you are gonna have to greatly spend alot more than a turbo build. i was going the NA route but after doing much needed research. I'm going the Turbo path. i was thinking of motor swap to a DOHC ... but d series all the way!
On turbo with stock internals, you shouldn't push your D over 220hp. Yes, its been done to well over 350 before, but I wouldn't try it. If you're thinking well, 220 hp isnt a lot then think again! Remember that you're driving a little FWD Civic that barely breaks 1-ton. At 220hp, it will MOVE!
Off of NA it will be decient to break 160. After that is serious money!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea ive noticed it costs some crazy money compared to a turbo setup. i have a small turbo but trying to sell it so i will have some extra cash to build the motor. i currently have about $500 and im trying to sell my turbo kit for $400. so that i will have some extra money to play with.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davefromPA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know but prepare to get flamed by the b-lovers. everyone is going to say do a dohc build. not worth it to do a sohc build blah blah blah. i say go for it and make it your own. also people are gonna yell turbo cause thats all they know.

giving the heads up. hopefully you get some good USEFUL responses.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know im already expecting that. but i beat my friends who have GSR's and LS's. my car wheighs 2325lbs at the track. and i could probly loose another 150 lbs if i really wanted to. withch would shave 1 to 2 tenths of a second.

and for any smart asses yes my friends know how to drive too.

but im thinking about getting the eagle pistons with standard bore with 10.5:1 comp. and i also need to get new berrinngs. the thing is though is that my motor will have a bit higher compressiton ratio b/c i am redecking the block and re-surfacing the head.

EDIT: i also have taken off the following...

full a/c system. it suck not having it when u live in texas.
powersteering.
front bumper suport and rear seats.

i plan on taking out the passenger seat when i go next time.
the rear bumper support.

i also just got two enki rims that weigh about 11lbs with rubber. and going to get some drag radials for them. they will only be used for the track. there allot better then the stock special edition integra snowflakes that i have.

Modified by fryguy190 at 11:56 AM 10/7/2008
Old 10-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fryguy190)

agree
Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone els have any ideas of what i could do?

i was thinkin about getting the OBX cam that is tuned already for my chiped ECU.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Skunk2 makes cams for the D16z6 and is of higher quality. I say go with a nice valve train upgrade for a higher performance S2 cam, (or don't, and go with the lower performance S2 cam that doesn't require, but recommends a valve train upgrade), and get a good tune. Make sure you are tuned for your cam, or you won't be putting it to work the way it should be to get good power.

As for OBX:
OBX is to Skunk2 as coal is to diamonds; Not nearly as refined, and worth nothing in comparison.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

so should i just go with the cam and valve train for now and wait on the bottom end?

ive seen the skunk2 cam and vlvetrain prices. there deffinetly not cheap. but of course its skunk 2
Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can always get the head ported and polished. im sure you know this but when doing n/a the power is trapped in the head. open up the ports, bronze valve guides, deck the head, high comp pistons, maybe a re-bore, skunk 2 cam, skunk 2 intake manifold, decent header and 2.5 inch all the way back. lose as much weight as you can off the car and yourself. smaller diameter tires for acceleration but not for top speed. less unsprung weight (rims, tires, brake rotors). it all helps a little.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (davefromPA)

and the MOST important thing is the tune. i cant stress that enough.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (davefromPA)

thanks...

yea my buddy has a shop and is also a tuner. he is finally buyin his own dyno insted of havin to go to other places and using there dynos. he already told me he will tune it for free b/c he ows me a couple of favors.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

davefromPA makes a good point, your car is worthless without the right tune. i was building a z6 with srp low comp pistons, eagle rods, had the head, block, and crank all re done at the machine shop. i think i had 1300 into it after that! parts to support 300whp. i say hell ya
Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16z6 N/A build (fryguy190)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryguy190 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok ive been looking around multiple sites and looking for what would be a good setup for a high comp build.

the thing is though is that im on a tight budget. and the only reason why i am doin a build in my z6 is b/c i happen to have an extra z6 block.

so what would u suggest that would be good but not to expensive. i also had realzed that its costs more than a boost setup but it more reliable. and that exactly what i want. now the z6 i have now im runnning 15.4-15.6 stock.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

just do high comp pistons and bore the block and sleeve it. do all the internal work. bolt ons wont do ****. so it will have to be built from the inside. and like you said...get a good cam. good luck and btw...im on your team. lol i have 2 single cam cars. keep me updated.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM

i respect anyone who takes time to buliding a good d-series setup...parts are cheap and highly obtainable..ive built plenty of b-series high horsepower setups and one K. now im building a d15b using the knowledge an princepals and applying it to my single slammer..its not easy, to some people not worth it. [freak] UM&gt;&gt;&gt; i put together d15b block, d16y8 head, 11:5.1 pistons, h-beam rods, block guard, arp studs, full skunk2 valvetrain, 3 angle valve job, Jackson Racing Supercharger, and hondata s300..still got more to go..and i havent tuned it yet...but trust me the bitch moves..and i got it in a fullbody ek hatch...look into the the high-comp wit supercharge..and look up the d-series boost setup wit top-turbo kits..you'll be happy wit your choice
Old 10-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know you said you were on a small budget, but remember bisimoto made a 450 F22 non VTEC SOHC so... it can happen, but needs a little paper...

but please dont cut corners and half *** it, cuz i dont wanna see you on here in a few months with a blown motor
Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburnerryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know you said you were on a small budget, but remember bisimoto made a 450 F22 non VTEC SOHC so... it can happen, but needs a little paper...

but please dont cut corners and half *** it, cuz i dont wanna see you on here in a few months with a blown motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol well thats exactly what happened to my motor in my car right now. i blew a coolant hose and ran my buddy who just got his y7 with a z6 head out of the shop. and i spanked him. but then i looked at the temp gage and it was spiked... so i pulled into the wallmart and smoke was everywhere.... i was soo embaraced b/c i pulled into the car meet. lol. but i put a good hose on it that same night got it started and drove it a mile and a half to my buddys shop. where it is sitting today. untill i get the other block out of the machine shop. witch is this monday.

i warped the head. separated the sleeves from the block. and of course blew the head gasket... and now its knocking like hell. lol.

here is a vid of my motor

but yes im deffinetly not gona cut corners... im just gona build the head i have now and tune it. then when i get the other block machined i am gona start to build that one up.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16z6 N/A build

Which 11:5.1 comp pistons did you use and where did you get them?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomEJ1
Which 11:5.1 comp pistons did you use and where did you get them?
Try not to bump 3 year old threads. Make your own.

You can find high compression pistons anywhere. Ebay, craigslist, summitracing.

Our sponsor marketplace typically has very good deals.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i could find them i wouldn't be on here asking him.