Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Z6 Cranks, Won't Start unless I pump gas pedal..??

Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D16Z6 Cranks, Won't Start unless I pump gas pedal..??

So about a week ago this started, it cranks but doesn't turn over unless I pump the gas and if it sputter starts I'll pump the pedal even more and it will fire up but I have to keep on the pedal or it will die... The car's a stock D16Z6 with a P28 in an EG Hatch... It did this the other day as well and threw a CEL 20 (electronic load detector) but it went away after like 10 minutes because I got the car started by pumping the gas pedal and just driving off without stopping for like 15 minutes, than when I came to a red light my car stayed on instead of turning off like it had been doing... My oil light was flickering for a few weeks recently, but only when braking for some reason and it never came on solid, only just barely flickered... But I just changed the oil the other day and it hasn't flickered like it usually does (when I'm braking) but sometimes when I turn on the a/c the oil light will come on if my RPM's drop when I'm slowing down or stopping... Does it sound like it could be a cap/rotor issue..?? Anyways, I don't know if any of those things are related or just ironically happening at the same time, but I'm just tryna get some feedback and see what you guys think since I'm to tired to go downstairs right now after working 12 hours in the lovely Florida heat, thanks...
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: D16Z6 Cranks, Won't Start unless I pump gas pedal..??

The gas pedal actually opens the throttle plate to increase air intake. I would try cleaning and adjusting the FITV. May as well do the same for the IACV while you're at it.

Any CEL codes?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The gas pedal actually opens the throttle plate to increase air intake. I would try cleaning and adjusting the FITV. May as well do the same for the IACV while you're at it.

Any CEL codes?
I bypassed the FITV when I swapped it in (2 years ago) and the IACV isn't that bad of an idea... Can I use MAP sensor cleaner to squirt around in the IACV..?? It dries relatively fast so I don't see it doing any harm..

And nope, only CEL that came on was CEL 20 that I mentioned but it was only when my car wouldn't start, once I got it fired up and kept throttle open the CEL never came back on...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

The FITV is needed to maintain the proper idle speed when the engine is cold. Seriously consider returning the FITV to stock.

Yes, brake or carburetor cleaner is fine to use on the IACV.

Click the FITV and IACV links in my signature.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The FITV is needed to maintain the proper idle speed when the engine is cold. Seriously consider returning the FITV to stock.

Yes, brake or carburetor cleaner is fine to use on the IACV.

Click the FITV and IACV links in my signature.
Really...?? I live in South Florida and have never had an issue with it bypassed... After doing plenty of research it seemed that all the northern states were the ones who needed to retain the FITV... Thanks for feedback though...