Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16z6 ???

Old 08-27-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16z6 ???

i have a 93 ex with the d16z6 i have an aem cai ebay header and apc mufler icant really feel a difference from stock what would be some low budget mods to pick up 15 20 hp like a cam, pulleys flywheel im not trying to build a gsr smoker because i plan on doing a b series swapp this winter but i just want a few ponys to play with in the mean time thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 09:35 AM

and also i know weight reduction is like adding hp how could ishave some weight ill do about anything as long as its still streetable
Old 08-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90b20b4)

if you're planning on swapping a b, save your money for now, and buy cams or pulleys or whatever for that. it'd make no sense to buy stuff for a motor you're only gonna have for another couple months.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCejcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCejcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're planning on swapping a b, save your money for now, and buy cams or pulleys or whatever for that. it'd make no sense to buy stuff for a motor you're only gonna have for another couple months.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly
Old 08-27-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: d16z6 ??? (90b20b4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90b20b4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 93 ex with the d16z6 i have an aem cai ebay header and apc mufler icant really feel a difference from stock what would be some low budget mods to pick up 15 20 hp like a cam, pulleys flywheel im not trying to build a gsr smoker because i plan on doing a b series swapp this winter but i just want a few ponys to play with in the mean time thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE> im ding the swap this winter but iwant to see what the d series is capable of in the mean time so lets just pretend im not swapping at all now how coul i get a few more ponys without going into the bottom end thank you
Old 08-27-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCejcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're planning on swapping a b, save your money for now, and buy cams or pulleys or whatever for that. it'd make no sense to buy stuff for a motor you're only gonna have for another couple months.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugen112 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my thoughts exactly</TD></TR></TABLE>
mine too, i only have a cai and well not a pepboys muffler, i got a greddy catback but still it doesnt make that much of a difference although it did pull hard for a d16. ive beat a gsr, si and the sols with b16s. i dont care how slow ive "raced" a porsche and a corvetter before just to see them get on it.....i swear i was hangin with the porsche in 1st gear
Old 08-27-2005, 11:43 AM

IVE GOT A D16Z6 TOO IN THE SAME 93 EX BASICALLY THE SAME SETUP AS YOURS. AND I HAVE A CATBACK MUFFLER APEXI GOT A DC SPORTS HEADER AND AEM SHORT RAM AIR. THE CAR RUNS NICE WAS ABLE TO GET A FEW PONIES FROM THE BOLT ONS WITHYOU KILLING THE PURSE.

I DI HAVE A PROBLEM THO FOR YOU OTHERS TO DIGEST IF YOU CAN HELP. MINE IS RUNNING RICH. IVE CHANGED THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR WITH A STOCK ONE BUT IT MADE THE PROBLEM WORSE. BASICALLY THE CAR IS BLOWING A LOT FO BALCK SMOKE AND IT SEEMS TO DRINK FUEL. WHAT SHOULD THE STOVK FUEL PRESSURE BE AND DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO GO WITH AN ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR LIKE THE AEM ADJUSTABLE?

PLEASE HELP THANKS
Old 08-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: d16z6 ??? (integra dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IVE GOT A D16Z6 TOO IN THE SAME 93 EX BASICALLY THE SAME SETUP AS YOURS. AND I HAVE A CATBACK MUFFLER APEXI GOT A DC SPORTS HEADER AND AEM SHORT RAM AIR. THE CAR RUNS NICE WAS ABLE TO GET A FEW PONIES FROM THE BOLT ONS WITHYOU KILLING THE PURSE.

I DI HAVE A PROBLEM THO FOR YOU OTHERS TO DIGEST IF YOU CAN HELP. MINE IS RUNNING RICH. IVE CHANGED THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR WITH A STOCK ONE BUT IT MADE THE PROBLEM WORSE. BASICALLY THE CAR IS BLOWING A LOT FO BALCK SMOKE AND IT SEEMS TO DRINK FUEL. WHAT SHOULD THE STOVK FUEL PRESSURE BE AND DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO GO WITH AN ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR LIKE THE AEM ADJUSTABLE?

PLEASE HELP THANKS</TD></TR></TABLE>

My eyes!! Anyway's, it should be around 40psi. It would make sense to get an adjustable fpr becasue you can tune it to the exact psi you want.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: d16z6 ??? (Bond)

opps sorry bout the caps. does the black smoke correlate with a bad fpr tho?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16z6 ??? (integra dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">opps sorry bout the caps. does the black smoke correlate with a bad fpr tho?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. If your getting to much or to little of fuel you will cause excessive carbon build up which I am sure you are experiencing right now. How are your maintenance items? You know like fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, cap rotor. Try some injector cleaner too. What condition is your intake manny in? Use some cleaner for that and check your air cleaner to see if it needs replacing. After checking and replacing what's listed above, you should be back to normal.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: d16z6 ??? (Bond)

if you want a little more horsepower throw a turbo on it at about 8 psi with a good tune and you will have about 170hp and 160 tq...Cheaper than a b-series....and faster (than some) Otherwise i highly recommend ZEX/compcams 59300 cam, it says you should replace springs and retainers but i didnt and mine runs fine(with the greddy turbo kit and intercooler).
Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: d16z6 ??? (95civicturboex)

here are some weight reduction threads, just for some ideas.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1134820
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=875063
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=585333
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=523514
Old 08-28-2005, 06:27 AM

thanks so much for the tips guys. i really appreciate it. i have a fuel pressure gauge on order to check the pressure and mre than likely ill get the fpr. i know the pressure should be around 40psi but is it safe for me to assume that if there is more than 40psi that it is running rich or would it be on the other end of the scale? how do i read the gauge? thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCejcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're planning on swapping a b, save your money for now, and buy cams or pulleys or whatever for that. it'd make no sense to buy stuff for a motor you're only gonna have for another couple months.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I concur.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks so much for the tips guys. i really appreciate it. i have a fuel pressure gauge on order to check the pressure and mre than likely ill get the fpr. i know the pressure should be around 40psi but is it safe for me to assume that if there is more than 40psi that it is running rich or would it be on the other end of the scale? how do i read the gauge? thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

With all hoses connected from 31psi-38psi. The gauge doesn't have much to do with A/F ratio if your psi is within spec. The O2 and ecu do all the A/F ratio adjusting.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:37 PM

thanks so much for the tips guys. i really appreciate it. i have a fuel pressure gauge on order to check the pressure and mre than likely ill get the fpr. i know the pressure should be around 40psi but is it safe for me to assume that if there is more than 40psi that it is running rich or would it be on the other end of the scale? how do i read the gauge? thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks so much for the tips guys. i really appreciate it. i have a fuel pressure gauge on order to check the pressure and mre than likely ill get the fpr. i know the pressure should be around 40psi but is it safe for me to assume that if there is more than 40psi that it is running rich or would it be on the other end of the scale? how do i read the gauge? thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>

More then 40 psi you are running rich. rich is too much fuel and lean is to much air. but if your running 41 psi it would not change A/F ratio at all.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: (Bond)

finally gauged the fuel - as of now at idle it is pushing 32 psi revving say to 6500 rpms it goes up to 40 or so. it seems to me its running ok by the looks of your posts......but what would explain the black smoke then???? a technican told me that its the fpr but does this mean he was ******* with me? the car does burn oil too. initially i assumed the black smoke was that but now im confused. any more info would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">finally gauged the fuel - as of now at idle it is pushing 32 psi revving say to 6500 rpms it goes up to 40 or so. it seems to me its running ok by the looks of your posts......but what would explain the black smoke then???? a technican told me that its the fpr but does this mean he was ******* with me? the car does burn oil too. initially i assumed the black smoke was that but now im confused. any more info would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the smoke black or blue? The pressure could be bumped to 38 to be on the safer side of things. Also un plug the fpr breather hose from the throttle body. The pressure should go up. If it doesn't then the fpr is not working like it should. Also check to make sure your O2 sensor is still working. The O2 does most of the A/F and the fpr does a little bit.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:34 AM

the smoke is black. the o2 sensor is working. i know this because when i did the header the check engine light came on since the sensor was disconnected but then after i reset the ecu the light went off. i can only assume though that the sensor is ok since no code were thrown since then. i should have the aem fpr this afternoon. any other info on the smoke though would be helpful thanks!!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the smoke is black. the o2 sensor is working. i know this because when i did the header the check engine light came on since the sensor was disconnected but then after i reset the ecu the light went off. i can only assume though that the sensor is ok since no code were thrown since then. i should have the aem fpr this afternoon. any other info on the smoke though would be helpful thanks!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ECU just looks for a signal voltage from the O2. If the O2 is completely dead the ECU may still not catch it. I have seen this a few times and the ECU didn't do anything. The best way is to hook up your trusty Voltmeter. The volts should raise and fall quickly when warming up and then become constant when at normal operating temp. I don't know the exact voltage of the top of my head, but I'll post later with the specs.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 AM

as for the black smoke would a bad o2 sensor be the csause? i thought the o2 only monitored the exhaust..... as for the fpr i installed it and the car runs smoother. i dialed it up to 40 psi. as suggested. would lower or higher psi cause the car to consume less fuel? ideally i would like to regulate the fuel consumption assuming i can do that with this new fpr.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90b20b4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> im ding the swap this winter but iwant to see what the d series is capable of in the mean time so lets just pretend im not swapping at all now how coul i get a few more ponys without going into the bottom end thank you
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you boost the D you can get a lot of power out of, a new cam gear/shaft and pullies would be a nice small addition to it though.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civicturboex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you want a little more horsepower throw a turbo on it at about 8 psi with a good tune and you will have about 170hp and 160 tq...Cheaper than a b-series....and faster (than some) Otherwise i highly recommend ZEX/compcams 59300 cam, it says you should replace springs and retainers but i didnt and mine runs fine(with the greddy turbo kit and intercooler). </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry but, wtf are you suggesting these mods for...?
He wanted a few more ponies, "like a cam, pulleys or flywheel" nothing serious.
And here you are suggesting he go boost?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

I love HT.

TO: "I'm swapping my motor in the fall. What are some cheap things to make my car go a little faster?"
Reply: "GO TURBO!!!"

Honestly you shouldn't dump any more money into the D since you're going to swap. I'd save that money for the B series. But since you're content on upping the D I would go with a cam like Skunk 2 Stage 1 or something of the likes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: d16z6 ???