Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y8 worthy of a turbo? Got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 worthy of a turbo? Got some questions.

If all this has already been answered wich im sure it mostlikely has but i could not find it searching please give me the link as im still new to this site and cant find everything as there is so much.

Well I have a 98 Civic Ex with the D16Y8 engine. The engine has about 141,000 miles on it and runs perfect. I possibly want to put a greddy bolt on turbo kit. its the TD04H-19T cast manif w/ e-manage & 310cc injectors. First of all is this kit worth the $2,300 that it would cost? 2nd how much PSI could I run on my Engine completly stock and what HP would I be looking at with running the max PSI? 3rd How much faster would a turbo wear out my engine? and last of all i believe is if I get this turbo, Would i be able to use most of it if i ever did a engine swap say to a B18C1? like would MOST but im sure not all be able to work with that engine? THANKS!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 worthy of a turbo? Got some questions. (j-rome)

if it's possible for u (smog reasons), it's cheaper to go with a 92-95 15G kit (doesnt come with injectors). I'm running one on my 96 D16Y8 coupe right now.

u MAY have to buy ARP head studs (~$100) and a new HG because of head lift (my friend did, i would install them at the same time as the turbo to save yourself the trouble)

my friend put it on at 148k miles i believe? i bought it from him and have been pushing it HARD. it's at 172k miles right now with no problems (well, no engine problems at least, haha).

the 92-95 is only $1400, it ran like 6psi, but it has boost creep with the stock cat (catback helped, but still decreases slowly at high rpms)
the turbo manifold wont fit a B series, and the emanage probably wont unless u reprogram it, it's not worth it.

i would consider some type of BOV/bypass mandatory, my friend said it surged like crazy without a BOV
Old 06-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 worthy of a turbo? Got some questions. (D16Y8-JDMYO)

i dont got smog tests here so its all good.Also im not sure if this is true but I heard once if you drive you car less then 3000 miles a year your car can put out as much crap as it want. if that is true i only drive mine 3,000 miles a year. Also i dont mind the price as long as its worth it for the kit. Also would the 15G kit give me just as much power as the other? Also again You said I MAY need to buy ARP head Studs how wouold those help?(is this something i add or just somethig i need new?) i am sorta a noob when it comes to this stuff so i need some explanitaion. But im trying to resurch and learn as much as possible.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The head studs are used to bolt your cylinder head to your engine block... Running a turbo will add increased pressure to your head studs because you are forcing more air into the compression area between the head and the pistons... this pressure can cause the old studs to basically stretch (this is what D16Y8-JDMYO was refering to when he mentioned head lift) and as you can probably guess this is not a good condition for your engine... Replacing the head studs and head gasket at the time of adding the turbo could be thought of as preventative maintenance... saving you from problems in the future
Old 06-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 worthy of a turbo? Got some questions. (beanbandit)

wat hp would he be lookin at while runnig the maximun boost to still be safe?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:19 AM

It does not matter if your car runs perfect u might wanna get new bearing for your engine. My friend had a sohc turbo stock boosting 8 pounds. He sold the engine with the turbo to some guy who blew the engine 20 min after it was intalled. Bearings were tore up, the turbo didn't get enough oil so that bearing got messed up too. To spend that much money on a turbo I rather do a ls/vtec .
Old 06-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres more information here

http://www.turbod16.com
Old 06-11-2006, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beanbandit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The head studs are used to bolt your cylinder head to your engine block... Running a turbo will add increased pressure to your head studs because you are forcing more air into the compression area between the head and the pistons... this pressure can cause the old studs to basically stretch (this is what D16Y8-JDMYO was refering to when he mentioned head lift) and as you can probably guess this is not a good condition for your engine... Replacing the head studs and head gasket at the time of adding the turbo could be thought of as preventative maintenance... saving you from problems in the future</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you
Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey no problem... I know how it is when you are just starting to learn about this stuff... before you dive head first into turbocharging your motor I would advise you to research for awhile... Learn more about combustion engines and the principles of how they operate... if you build a strong foundation of knowledge you will save yourself alot of time, money, and headaches in the future!!! Also study up on turbochargers and how they operate, then you will be able to make educated choices about what you want to do with your motor and be able to establish real goals of what you want to accomplish!!! Good Luck!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beanbandit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey no problem... I know how it is when you are just starting to learn about this stuff... before you dive head first into turbocharging your motor I would advise you to research for awhile... Learn more about combustion engines and the principles of how they operate... if you build a strong foundation of knowledge you will save yourself alot of time, money, and headaches in the future!!! Also study up on turbochargers and how they operate, then you will be able to make educated choices about what you want to do with your motor and be able to establish real goals of what you want to accomplish!!! Good Luck!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
yep thats why im here im trying to research as much as possible but there is so much to go through on this site. which is good and bad. but ya thanks for the clarification.

Modified by j-rome at 3:10 PM 6/11/2006
Old 06-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so do you guys think the greddy kit is worth it? its about $2,000 on ebay or $2,300-$2,500 on websited