Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y8 valve cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:19 AM
i HAS questions ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 valve cover Question

While my car is apart, I decided to repaint my valve cover. While stripping it/sanding, I heard something clanking around inside the valve cover. After shaking the valve cover a bit these two shark tooth shaped ceramic pieces fell near one of the holes from the baffle, and from there I pulled them out. Are they supposed to be in there/has anyone else ever seen this before? I don't think theres any way they could fall into the head normally, but it seemed pretty weird to me anyways.

Here's a picture of what they look like out of the valvecover.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:39 AM
esp

Default Re: D16Y8 valve cover Question (1 cam)

ive taken mine off a few times and nothing has ever rattled, nor have i seen anything like that under my valve cover, run over any sharks lately?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:48 AM

Thats kinda odd
Old 04-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 valve cover Question (esp)

weird.

ttt
Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 valve cover Question (james p.)

up for an answer....weird
Old 04-30-2005, 12:30 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: D16Y8 valve cover Question (civicboisi)

I'm tempted to rip the baffling off just to see what the hell is under there, but the rivets look like a bitch to remove.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:30 PM

maybe someone put something in your oil cap to mess up your car ? Aint nothing like that in my Y8s I got laying around here
Old 04-30-2005, 12:35 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (PK SPEED)

Unless someone went into my garage and went into my trunk and put them in there I highly doubt it. Being the same size and shape and smooth leads me to believe that they belong there (for what I don't know) and somehow got loose. There is no evidence of fracture or any break anywhere on them.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:17 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (1 cam)

Bump for shark teeth.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:02 PM

that **** is crazy...never seen anything like that...dino teeth?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RenzoDaPlayboi)

dont start ur car....double check again!
BUMP for his answer!!!

Looks like an ARROWHEAD!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (DJ_CARY)

Take a picture of them next to a quarter or something so we can get an idea of how big they are.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

They're about the size of a quarter. I can't take any more pictures for now because I'm at school.

Don't worry about me starting the car, the head isn't even on the car right now.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:28 AM
NASIOC.com

lol was the valve cover in your trunk?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a picture of what they look like out of the valvecover.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Has your valve cover ever been taken off before? By you or any previous owner?

Those pieces look exactly like these bits we have here at work for deburring parts. Basically, we have a big round tub looking thing that looks a little like a big bird bath. Inside of the round tub part is a bunch of those little bits. You put the part into the tub, turn it on and it starts vibrating like a b*tch, you can really feel it in the floor. The vibration moves the part around with all those bits and it deburs the sharp edges. We have a big one and a small one, haven't been used in probably 5 years or more but the bits inside the tub look exactly like what you have in that picture. I'll see if my boss will let me use the camera and take a picture for you to see the resemblance.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: D16Y8 valve cover Question (TouringAccord)

ok, here is a couple pictures to show the size and shape of what I was talking about.

Also, here is a picture of the small machine I was talking about. This one looks different from the bird-bath looking large machine which is covered by some stuff at the moment. The blue bin has a bunch of extra bits inside of it. The bits and the parts that get deburred go in the bin located at the top of the machine. Then you turn it on at the right and let it work.

Sorry for the sorta fuzzy pictures, I'm not used to the camera at work. But you can see that these look a lot like the bits that came from your valve cover.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:23 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: D16Y8 valve cover Question (TouringAccord)

The whole engine was at a machine shop about a year ago. I don't know why the valve cover would've need to have been deburred.

Those look almost exactly like the parts that came out of my valve cover. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The whole engine was at a machine shop about a year ago. I don't know why the valve cover would've need to have been deburred.

Those look almost exactly like the parts that came out of my valve cover. Thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What work did the machine shop do to your engine? Call them up and ask them why you found those pieces in your valve cover...

They probably somehow got stuck up in the baffle and didn't come loose until you took the valve cover off... I would check the head to see if there are any more of those things or any damage that looks like it may have been caused by them. If the head is damaged, the machine shop is probably responsible for not cleaning those things out of there...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:38 PM

I think TouringAccord is the winner!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:52 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1 cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The whole engine was at a machine shop about a year ago. I don't know why the valve cover would've need to have been deburred.

Those look almost exactly like the parts that came out of my valve cover. Thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, np.

They may have used those bits for some other purpose. I just know that they used to use those machines and bits at our shop for the purpose of dubbering parts. I would deffinately talk to that machine shop though. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:20 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: D16Y8 valve cover Question (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What work did the machine shop do to your engine? Call them up and ask them why you found those pieces in your valve cover...

They probably somehow got stuck up in the baffle and didn't come loose until you took the valve cover off... I would check the head to see if there are any more of those things or any damage that looks like it may have been caused by them. If the head is damaged, the machine shop is probably responsible for not cleaning those things out of there...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The shop did all the machine work on the engine and head including the assembly. They also had the head back around January because the camshaft sheared off at the cam gear. If there had been any damage from something like this, they would've already had a chance to cover their *** and fix it without me knowing while the head was out before.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep, np.

They may have used those bits for some other purpose. I just know that they used to use those machines and bits at our shop for the purpose of dubbering parts. I would deffinately talk to that machine shop though. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks again. I'm definitely going to give them a call and find out what went on.