Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y8 upgrade or No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 upgrade or No?

I have a D16Y8 with the stupid auto trans and a I/H/E underdrive pulleys and jet chip and a gutted cat. And i am thinking about starting to upgrade some more of the internals. I was thinking about getting another D16Y8 head and port and polish maybe a cam and springs, maybe a + 1mm valve job but i don't know about the valves. I have only been able to get the car to run a 10.978 in the 1/8th mile cause that stupid auto trans. Should i go with a trans swap first or what do you'll think. I am just wanting some other peoples opinions on this. I like the SOHC cause i don't see a lot of people fixing them up. Thanx for your help
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16Y8 upgrade or No? (HCivExoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivExoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I like the SOHC cause i don't see a lot of people fixing them up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha that was funny.

id go with a manual tranny swap asap!!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SOHC is all the rage these days! At least for us broke people. Get on the bandwagon!

Yeah, 5-speed conversion is the biggest performance mod you can do for yourself right now. It's a bit involved, but not terribly hard. Worth it, unless you're car is stock then I'd just sell it and get a manual.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

well i listed what all i have done in the original post, i have some money into it already maybe 1000 all together. It is still under warranty but i know i couldn't do either the head or the trans and keep the warrenty, i still have a 25,000 to go till it runs out. I also want to nkow if you'll think that is a decent time for what it is, i know it is slow but i think it is decent for a SOHC auto, just wondering. Thanks for the advice on the trans.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Big valve headwork gets pretty costly, and I'm not sure but you might have to do an overbore on the cylinders, either to make them fit right or just to unshroud them so they can actually flow. Need to check clearance with piston valve reliefs too if you're going to put a high lift cam in.

You can always move the IHE over to the new Civic, it's not like custom bodywork or anything that has to stay on the old one...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (HCivExoo)

Use all factory parts for the trans swap....it should still be covered under warranty, unless you want to warranty you installation mistakes. Haha...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use all factory parts for the trans swap....it should still be covered under warranty, unless you want to warranty you installation mistakes. Haha...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No way, they look for any reason to void your warranty. Tearing out the pedals, swapping ecu, changing trannies (for a used one, no less)...for it to be anywhere near affordable you have to buy used parts from somewhere other than a dealer, and put it in yourself. For sure they won't warranty that. At the least they will void warranty on anything you touched. Maybe they'll honor it on other parts of the car you haven't modded.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the bigger valves was just an idea i thought about bigger valves being a problem but i haven't researched it yet so i thought i would ask. If i have to change pistons and get the cylinders bored i won't og with the bigger valves. I still have to drive the thing during the week. Thats why i was going to get another head and do it to that one so i could drive while i was getting all this done. so pretty much the trans is the biggest thing i could do right now. I have searched the srchives and saw that some people have had soem trouble with it. would this be something if i worked olike hell on it could get done in say a weekend as long as i had good research and had all the parts ready ? would i have to change the IM too i thought i saw something about this in the archives? thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you changed to a manual EX ecu you could get a 2-wire IACV and a spare round plug, and just tap your manifold for it. There is one mount hole already tapped, you just line it up, drill/tap the second mount hole, then drill one hole right into the plenum. Step 3, drill a shallow hole in the other pad and a smaller one on the t/b mounting face til they connect. Pretty much set then. I did this with my Y8 auto manifold I have on my Y7 engine, in preparation to use with a P28 ecu and VTEC head.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, what kind of alterations are going to have to be done to get the peddals in and for the linkage do you know?