Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16y8 Swap....suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y8 Swap....suggestions...

Well, first of all, i have a 98 honda civic ex, it has a d16y8. I know some basics about engine swaps but not enough. My civic has a bad transmission and a blown gasket.

Im thinking of just swapping the whole engine. My local honda recycler has it for sale for 900, and 450 for the tranny. 1350 total.

Questions

1. Should i change the whole engine since i been driving around with a blown head gasket for about 3 months? Or can I just change the tranny and the headgasket?

2. What else can a put in my civic (engine wise) that wont cost me any extras like mounts etc...what else is compatible?

Also any suggestions about my engine swap?

I know 1350 is kinda high, im still checking up graiglists and other websites for a used one. If you know of one, please let me know.

Thank for reading.....
Old 12-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16y8 Swap....suggestions... (gabepunk1)

look around some more man...iv come around full d series swaps for 400 at the most....i, myself sold my d16z6 for 150 bucks...with good tranny, clutch and harness....jus to give u an idea.....if ur gonna blow 1400 bucks, swap in an ls or something :-)
Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well first, u wont find any honda motors on graigslist because its his brother craigs website... "craigslist.com"

second, you could get a D15B from HMotors and a tranny locally im sure for no more than 200 and have urself a motor and tranny for well under 1000... use ur obd2 distributor, obd2 injectors, ect....

and third, any extras are gonna cost you money...
Old 12-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: D16y8 Swap....suggestions... (JDM_SOHC)

haha..

i noticed i typed graiglists right after i already posted, funny....anyways...

a D15b, motor would go into my civic. its 499 plus shipping on hmotors.....

btw, a few things i forgot to add.....mycivic is an automatic, seems a lil hard to come by a used one, i dunno why, im still looking though.

i wish i could put an ls motor in it. but i think im gonna go the cheap way and try to find a used engine......

this forum is awesome, fast replies, thanks guys..
Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM

bumb...
Old 12-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: D16y8 Swap....suggestions... (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well first, u wont find any honda motors on graigslist because its his brother craigs website... "craigslist.com"

second, you could get a D15B from HMotors and a tranny locally im sure for no more than 200 and have urself a motor and tranny for well under 1000... use ur obd2 distributor, obd2 injectors, ect....

and third, any extras are gonna cost you money... </TD></TR></TABLE>

damn. you stole my cragslist comment.

The D15B will go into the 96-00 chassis. However, there's the issue about the crank position sensor/misfire sensor on the oil pump housing. You'd have to change the oil pump to a Y8 pump. I've heard there's a wiring fix for this to fool the ECU...but not sure.

That's purely an emissions test issue. The car will run fine without the misfire sensor. The CEL will be on, though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabepunk1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bumb...</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump?

If you want to keep your civic automatic, really the only thing you need is the LONG BLOCK and trans (since you said there's something wrong with your trans.) You dont need an ECU, accesories, manifolds, etc.

**if you switch to an OBD1 engine, getting an OBD1 distributor with the motor is recommended.

I'm sure you can find something on ebay. Even if you bought a manual longblock, and then mated it to an automatic trans...it'd work. There's tons of people swapping auto to manual...so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Just make sure it comes with some sort of warranty. An automatic trans is a complicated thing. It might be worth it to either get one with either an extended warranty...or to rebuild or buy a new one. You never know how it was used before...and they're usually not as durable through abuse as manual transmissions.

My friend bought a Y8 longblock for $250 locally. So, they're out there. It's hard to find a Y8 since it wasn't a JDM engine. There's also an OBD2 D15 VTEC available from the JDM market. See if any motor retailers have those.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabepunk1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bumb...</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol u mean bump... a bumb i believe is the *** on an european female...

but yeah D15B would go right into ur civic, and if you dont feel like spending the time to convert your car to manual and just getting the manual tranny you could look around for an automatic tranny.. since ur not gonna be racing, any auto tranny should work as long as its from 92-00 single cams...