Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y8 OIL PAN Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D16Y8 OIL PAN Help.

I replaced my oil pan since the thread on the oil pan drain hole was stripped. I ended up buying another OEM oil pan, in which i read the helms manual as to how to go about putting it on. I got under the car did my thing, took the old on off put the new on one. I cleaned the bottom surface of the block where I'd be putting the sealant on the pan. everything seemed to have worked out fine for the time being until the next morning i checked under the car and saw my fresh new oil leaking a small puddle. This would go on daily until my maintenance required light turned from green to yellow to red. Of course i used a brand new gasket and a brand new Honda oil filter.

What i really wanna know is could one of these be the reason that may have happened?

1. I tightened the oil filter back on too tight.
2. I turned the motor on too soon and the sealant burned out.
3. I bought some kind of Sealant that was recommended on this forum..some kragen SVT OR CVT something like that.

Those are the only two things i think it could have possibly been.

Anyways, I'm going back under the car next weekend and i'd like to know if anyone's encountered this problem and maybe has some advice as to what to be weary about when doing this, this time around. Just to reassure me i won't be losing anymore oil.

Going to a mechanic isn't an option. I choose not to rely on paying them to do it. so that's out the question.

Maybe someone has a picture (not a helms diagram) as to where exactly to put the sealant (Honda bond) on the oil pan. The diagram in the helms just points an arrow to where but it doesn't really show how much to apply.

I wanna do this right. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D16Y8 OIL PAN Help.

you could have possibly gotten a faulty gasket... or it just didnt seal properly
Old 04-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thing is, the first gasket i bought was kinda out of shape it didn't sit flat...te second one i bought fit perfectly, which is the one that's currently on it. when i take the oil pan off would i be able to identify if it's a faulty gasket?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really wanna be very cautious about this, limiting the amount of time i have to go under and remove these screws...pain in the hands..
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea you should be able to... i had a d series that went through three op gaskets the fourth finally working and used honda bond on them...... did you cross tighteen the bolts evenly
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo EK i want to thank you on the speedy response yesterday but my net wasn't doing it's job. So thank you.

I'm going under the car today to try and fix this, my oil light came on last night i put 2 qts in there. so im gonna have to get down there and drain it and fix the issue.

while im here, anyone know how much that honda bond cost?