Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y8 IM on D15B7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 IM on D15B7?

What will I have to do to put the D16Y8 IM on a D15B7 motor? Do I need to plug anything, and what gasket do I use? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 IM on D15B7? (madcrossover)

why waste your time? the d16y8 is a shitty motor. It is slow as hell. what you need is a dohc motor. anyhow, to answer your question, you will need a whole new ecu for the vtec head that you want to put on. you might have to bore your block out bigger because the valves on the y8 head may not clear the cylinder walls. as far as the head gasket goes, just pick up the 96-00 civic ex head gasket. It should work. I guess the only good thing about this idea is that you can keep the same transmission.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 IM on D15B7? (Zoner in DGO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zoner in DGO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why waste your time? the d16y8 is a shitty motor. It is slow as hell. what you need is a dohc motor. anyhow, to answer your question, you will need a whole new ecu for the vtec head that you want to put on. you might have to bore your block out bigger because the valves on the y8 head may not clear the cylinder walls. as far as the head gasket goes, just pick up the 96-00 civic ex head gasket. It should work. I guess the only good thing about this idea is that you can keep the same transmission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he's just refering to the intake manifold, and not the entire head.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:24 AM
most hood white kid

Default Re: D16Y8 IM on D15B7? (autozonerncivicowner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by autozonerncivicowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why waste your time? the d16y8 is a shitty motor. It is slow as hell. what you need is a dohc motor. anyhow, to answer your question, you will need a whole new ecu for the vtec head that you want to put on. you might have to bore your block out bigger because the valves on the y8 head may not clear the cylinder walls. as far as the head gasket goes, just pick up the 96-00 civic ex head gasket. It should work. I guess the only good thing about this idea is that you can keep the same transmission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what in the hell are you talking about?? since when did someone have to bore to do a mini-me?? he wasnt even talking about swapping the hell, you make no sense kid. anyways, to answer the OP's question, you have to have a COMPLETE y8 IM, along with fuel rail I believe...here is a link of a write up someone did on another forum, it goes pretty in depth...

http://www.thezcr.com/forums/s...55391

in my opinon, it really isnt necessary, swapping a z6 IM is easier, and you could even have it ported for cheap...

oh and to the asshat who thinks SOHC's are ****, I know plenty of SOHC's that can walk b16's and ls motors all day long...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 IM on D15B7? (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what in the hell are you talking about?? since when did someone have to bore to do a mini-me?? he wasnt even talking about swapping the hell, you make no sense kid. anyways, to answer the OP's question, you have to have a COMPLETE y8 IM, along with fuel rail I believe...here is a link of a write up someone did on another forum, it goes pretty in depth...

http://www.thezcr.com/forums/s...55391

in my opinon, it really isnt necessary, swapping a z6 IM is easier, and you could even have it ported for cheap...

oh and to the asshat who thinks SOHC's are ****, I know plenty of SOHC's that can walk b16's and ls motors all day long...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good answer. The swap really is easy and will help the motor breathe better. I was under the impression that the Y8 manifold was the "Type R" manifold for d-series SOHC engines? I guess the Z6 might work better since it's OBD-I like the D15B7.

Look at the guy's username, autozonercivicowner. I mean seriously, c'mon.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 IM on D15B7? (autozonerncivicowner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by autozonerncivicowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why waste your time? the d16y8 is a shitty motor. It is slow as hell. what you need is a dohc motor</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do you think before you type?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh and to the asshat who thinks SOHC's are ****, I know plenty of SOHC's that can walk b16's and ls motors all day long...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great links btw!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:53 AM
most hood white kid

Default Re: D16Y8 IM on D15B7? (******)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good answer. The swap really is easy and will help the motor breathe better. I was under the impression that the Y8 manifold was the "Type R" manifold for d-series SOHC engines? I guess the Z6 might work better since it's OBD-I like the D15B7.

Look at the guy's username, autozonercivicowner. I mean seriously, c'mon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, I mean the y8 will help the motor breathe a little better, but it would be easier to port a z6 IM and swap it than to swap a y8 IM imo...either one is an upgrade from the b7 IM. Its like my daddy always told me, work smarter, not harder...<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 Freak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great links btw! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, I stumbled across it when I was thinking about installing a y8 IM, but decided not too, just wasnt worth it...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 IM on D15B7?

Hey thanks for the help! Yeah Ive also seen some SOHC motors run pretty good numbers so I was planning on being one of them. Thanks for the help and the link.