Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16y8 Head onto a D16z6 block. What does it take to make it work??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y8 Head onto a D16z6 block. What does it take to make it work??

Okay, here's the story so far...

I found out my d16z6 head had burnt valves in #3 and #4. Instead of getting my head rebuilt, I found a seller on eBay who sells reconditioned heads for pretty cheap.

He had an auction up for a rebuilt d16z6 head for $240 shipped. I emailed him and asked him if he was sure it was a d16z6 head and not a y8 head. He assured me that it is in fact a d16z6 head. So, I sent him the money.

Today I got the head in the mail and took it out of the box. Guess f-ing what? It's a d16y8 head! Grrr!!!

Square combustion chambers and all.

So, I'm wondering if I should go through the hassle of sending this back to him and looking for another head or if I should just throw this on there.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I use everything from my z6 head? (dizzy, VTEC solenoid, etc.)
2. Can I use my z6 timing belt? (like, do the cam gears have the same number of teeth etc.)
3. Can I use my z6 head bolts?
4. Anything else I will need to consider?

I am really pissed that the seller told me one thing and sent me another, but if it's cheap I'll just try to use it. The head looks great and super clean. I'll take some pictures of it tonight when I get home.

One more question. Will this net less or more horsepower than the d16z6 head? Some say that the higher compression nets more horsepower and some say that the z6 head flows better so it makes more power.

Anyways, I'm just raging pissed right now because this is one more thing that has gone wrong with this build. It's been one thing right after another.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16y8 Head onto a D16z6 block. What does it take to make it work?? (EJ1 wilcox)

I've been searching for three hours now and I still can't find the answers to my questions.

I'm thinking it will be cheaper to just make the y8 head work. I just want to make sure that it will run well with the y8 head on there.

One post I read said that the timing is messed up because the y8 and z6 cams are different from each other.

Can I use the z6 cam in the y8 head? What about if I use the z6 cam gear with the y8 cam and head?

I'm so confused!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Bloody Beaver

Default Re: D16y8 Head onto a D16z6 block. What does it take to make it work?? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Can I use everything from my z6 head? (dizzy, VTEC solenoid, etc.)
2. Can I use my z6 timing belt? (like, do the cam gears have the same number of teeth etc.)
3. Can I use my z6 head bolts?
4. Anything else I will need to consider?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
1. Z6 dizzy won't bolt up. everything else should be good
2. Z6 tbelt will work
3. Not 100% but there shouldn't be a prob.
4. Z6 and Y8 head gaskets are the same PN so just ask for a Y8

as far as the timing I couldn't imagine that'd be true but don't quote me on that
Old 12-29-2005, 06:12 PM

yes you can, they are both d series. but i would just send it back and get a z6 head
Old 12-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Bloody Beaver

Default Re: (97spooncivic)

and y8 heads have smaller combustion chambers so that = more compression
Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 PM
mike93eh

dont do it, just put new valves in your z6, its easy. why would you buy another head and not just replace the valves/seals?? seriously i do them for like $20 many times.

the y8 requires MUCH less timing than a z6. z6 and y8 ignition maps are completley different. what ecu are you going to run?

you will have to use either a d15b7 or y8 dizzy. (y8 is obd2, so you would have to solder obd1 plugs on there)
the y8 cam gear is offset about 4 degrees compared to the z6 cam gear.
headbolts are different.
timing belts and headgaskets are the same.
timing belt covers are all different, so youll have to run without the top one or hack it all up and then there will be gaps.

just do it right. fix the z6, sell the y8.

BTW i have a rebuilt y8 head for sale cheap!!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Bloody Beaver

Default Re: (mike93eh)

My roomate had a OBD2 B16 incl. OBD2 dizzy in his 93 Si, he just put the OBD1 plug on it
Old 12-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont do it, just put new valves in your z6, its easy. why would you buy another head and not just replace the valves/seals?? seriously i do them for like $20 many times.

the y8 requires MUCH less timing than a z6. z6 and y8 ignition maps are completley different. what ecu are you going to run?

you will have to use either a d15b7 or y8 dizzy. (y8 is obd2, so you would have to solder obd1 plugs on there)
headbolts are different.
timing belt covers are all different, so youll have to run without the top one or hack it all up and then there will be gaps.

BTW i have a rebuilt y8 head for sale cheap!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for all the information.

I emailed the seller and told him that he sold me a y8 head instead of a z6 head like he told me he was going to.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if he owns up to his mistake and makes good on the deal. He only lives about 3 hours away from me and I'm tired as hell of getting scammed so I'm not above driving there if I have to.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

Here are some pics of the head.

It's for sure a d16y8 head right??

This is what leads me to believe that it's a y8 and not a z6...

#1. Square combustion chambers and larger valves than the z6.

#2. Lost motion assemblies look totally different then the z6.

Also, the cam gear looks different. It has 4 spokes whereas the z6 cam gear doesn't have any.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM
mike93eh

yup 100% y8.

send it back...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I've been emailing the seller every day asking him what he wants to do...

Guess what? No response.

I'm getting sick of this. So, I filed yet another claim with paypal, the third I've had to file in the past month.

This must be scamming season or something.

At least this time I have A head. It may not be the right one, but at least he didn't ship me a box of rocks.

I just wish there were more honest people out there. I seriously think I'm going to stop playing with Hondas after this one is done. Too many scammers in the business. I think I'll just go full time with my other hobby, homebrewing beer. At least that hobby isn't full of kids that can't handle their business.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:23 PM

off topic, but that thing is clean. cant wait to start my build. i know this doesnt help you at all but good luck on everything and i hope you either get your money back or get your Z6 head
Old 01-04-2006, 04:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont do it, just put new valves in your z6, its easy. why would you buy another head and not just replace the valves/seals?? seriously i do them for like $20 many times.

headbolts are different.

BTW i have a rebuilt y8 head for sale cheap!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

listen to him he's right
Old 02-09-2006, 07:12 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (743power)

no, i dont think he is. the maps are SOOO different? why did my y8 run great with a p28?? and then why did my old Y7/Z6 head combo run so well?? the blocks should bolt together and start. the only concern would be the dizzy and the solenoid, you will need to find a EG dx one for the dizzy and a y8 one for the solenoid.

everything else works. with an adjustable cam gear u could set timing right on. stop being a puss and put the ******* thing on. the car will be faster anyway.

Modified by I Have an STD at 2:13 PM 2/10/2006
Old 02-10-2006, 09:13 AM

Sucks that you got screwed, paypal is good about reversing charges and getting your money back but it usually takes a few weeks of waiting . On a side note, that head looks super-super clean :D