Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y8 Engine Problem (white smoke & Rad. Fan Not goin on)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problem (white smoke & Rad. Fan Not goin on)

Alright, I have a 98 Civic EX (d16y8) and white smoke is comin out of my exhuast. It has this strong smell to it also. Heres the story. I did a 5spd conversion on my car and also swapped my intake manifold with a 5spd. I connected everything and drove it a few blocks to put gas and back home. After I put gas, there was A LOT of white smoke comin out of my exhuast. My bros told me that its normal bcuz I havent driven my car for 7 months. I started the car up a few more times and revved it a few times. When I revved it, it kept spitting out this black liquid thingy. A week later, I found out that I connected a few hoses wrong (IACV, EVAP, and some other sensor) and got coolant in my oil. I fixed the hoses and changed my oil. When I changed my oil and filter, I also added this bottle of Engine Flush to clean it out. I started the car up and let her sit for a good 20min. I then drained the oil and spilled out the extra oil from the filter and then added new Castrol Oil (10w30) but it only took 3 quarts. Its suppose to be 3.5 or 3.75 (not to sure on that). Anyway, I started her up again and white smoke still kept comin out of my exhuast. That black liquid thingy also kept comin out everytime I revved it. I dont know if its normal but my car seems to bog down to 200 and jump back up to 900 RPM at idle once in awhile. Could I have blown my engine or somethin? People keep tellin me its my headgasket, but theres no oil leaking from the head. I was gonna boost my car but too much problems kept comin up. Could anyone tell me what the problem might be?

Ok as for my Radiator Fan, its not coming on after my car is all warmed up. I just changed my thermostat yesterday and it still wont come on. My old thermostat was also still good. But I changed it anyway since I already baught a brand new one from Honda. I tested my fan by adding power to it and it worked fine. What could be the problem with this?

Thanks in advance people.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Engine Problem (akad3mikz)

when u finish ur swap did u bleed the air out the coolant system ?
and if u found coolant in ur oil its because u **** ur head gasket
did it over head ?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine Problem (akad3mikz)

Well you say you got coolant in your oil. White smoke=coolant burning off. Is it an excess amount of white smoke? I doubt its your headgasket. Try doing a compression and leakdown test.

As for your RPM jumping, a vacuum leak maybe?

Bump for some help
Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Engine Problem (green00EX)

the rpm jumping is because his got air in the coolant system
Old 03-14-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Engine Problem (sit220)

nope i dont think i bled the coolant system right. After I refilled it, I just let the cap stay off and started the car for awhile. Then closed it when the coolant overflowed. Also yea it over heat. Not too much though. The temperature was like a quarter away from the RED line on my gauge after driving it for a mile. After I found out that I connected the hoses wrong, I was scared to drive it around that much again. I was told I could burn some valves or somethin. So I dont know if the temperature gauge will go that high again. All I know is that the engine gets really really hot. Also after I put the new oil in, the amount of white smoke wasnt as bad as before. But its till there. I found coolant in my oil before because I connected the IACV hoses wrong and coolant kept going in my intake manifold and into my engine. Ok, thats another guy thats saying its my headgasket. Anyone else?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. your white like smoke is the coolant burning with oil. it will come out of your exhaust for a while. as far as your headgasket goes... a quarter from the red is really high and you may have blown your headgasket. you need to fix you fan problem first. you tested by applying power to the fan motor but does the fan switch by the t-stat housing turn it on? try jumpiing the fan switch. if the fan turns on then the fan switch is bad. if not on then you better check if the fuse . you either have no power or ground for the motor...
Old 03-15-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: (egtwincam)

Wow, ok now thats the kinda response I was lookin for. What do you mean by jumping the fan switch? You want me to bypass the switch and apply power to it and see if the fan will go on? Or did you want me to apply power to the switch and see if the switch will make it turn on? Could you expain it a little more plz?

Im planning on buying a headgasket tomorrow and replacing it. But I was told that theres more to it than replacing it. I was told I would need to get it milled, balanced, and more stuff. Is this true? Could I just replace the headgasket and put the head back on?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (akad3mikz)

buMp^
Old 03-15-2005, 07:13 PM

help.......
Old 03-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

youll only need to get the head milled if you warped it. if you didnt overheat it drastically then i wouldnt think you warped the head.. just replace the gasket and you should be fine.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iceman7)

I been down this road not too long ago. Hmm I am not surprised of what I read. Seems to me you had the same problem as I did. However, you did hook up your hoses incorrectly so I don't really know how that affected you.

First, just my opinion, since your car is already screwed up, maybe, just maybe by running it for awhile you will get all the junk out. If not, then you really should try a leak down test like another member said. I did my first one with help from a HT member, TouringAccord. The leak down test told me it was a head problem. Other test did not. However, I first changed radiator, fan switch and thermostat just to make sure that when I replace the head gasket I would not destroy it again. Oh, I did a major tuneup as well, like replacing all belts and changed timing belt, struts, brakes (can u believe I learned how to do all this with help from HT members?). Once I replaced my headgasket, all my problems went away. Before I would refill my radiator 3 times a week. The car has been running since Christmas and I haven't added fluid since. Yes, it doesn't overheat anymore.

I documented all my proceedures and would be willing to share with you. Post your email and I will send to you. It discusses my ordeal. I will check your thread tomorrow. I had my head professionally milled, friend did it. I wasn't about to do all the work and have it happen again cuz of warped head. I replaced the seals on the head as well.

Good Luck...just my 2 cents

Ariel
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (arielb1)

Well, my head wasnt smoking nor was there any oil leaking from it. So I dont think it overheat that bad. I also dont wanna run it for awhile with this problem bcuz I might actually break somethin then. Ill try replacing the headgasket.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:22 AM

Ok I baugth a hg but didnt install it yet. But buMp^ this post up for a few more help.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:28 PM

i've got a similar problem i think... not entirely sure when it started but its happening right now...

first ill go a couple months back... my radiator blew and the temp guage went up past the red for a few seconds... i had noticed the temperature going up and shut the car off immediately and pulled over to the side of the road... there was no smoke coming from the engine bay in any way (other than coolant burning off the hot engine)... so i figure it wasnt hot enough for long enough to do damage to the head...

now for today... i start the car up from a cold start... it idles fine... no white smoke... i can rev it a little... no white smoke... after it warms up about 1/4 of the way (normal idle temp is halfway)... white smoke starts coming out... if i rev it to 3k or 4k and let it sit at that rpm... a massive amount of white smoke just keeps coming out... and then i can let the rpms drop back down to 1k or 800... and everytime i step on the gas a little a white puff will come out... after its completely warmed up to about halfway... no more white smoke comes out... but next time i cold start it... it happens again
Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a bad head gasket. If the white smoke smells sweet it's a given.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: (moto1320)

damn, i dont know any cheap shops in so-cal that will change that for me
Old 03-22-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: (inane)

ok my car isnt like that....So its not my hg then? Plz say its not.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, go turn your car on and have someone rev the engine a little. now walk back and smell your exhaust. Does it smell like coolant? if it does then you are burning coolant which means a blown HG.

If you're going to be replacing your HG then you may as well get the head milled. A warped head will have you doing this all over again in no time. Err on the side of caution.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: (HalfAnP)

ha!....ok.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HalfAnP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man, go turn your car on and have someone rev the engine a little. now walk back and smell your exhaust. Does it smell like coolant? if it does then you are burning coolant which means a blown HG.

If you're going to be replacing your HG then you may as well get the head milled. A warped head will have you doing this all over again in no time. Err on the side of caution. </TD></TR></TABLE>
word. its the hg
Old 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM

i wish i had the tools/knowledge to change it... i called a shop and they quoted me $950 for parts+labor (minus tax) to change HG... and thats not including getting head milled... so i'm down for local hookups and stuff :D
Old 03-23-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: (inane)

wow....thats pricey. Might as well buy another motor. I got quoted $500 for everything. Gettin it milled, replaced, and what not (this is including labor). You know what you can do? buy some tools and remove your head and take it to a machine shop to get it milled. Then replace the HG with a new one and put your head back on. It'll cost cheaper. Im sure theres a lot of people on this site that will help guide you through it. I didnt know anything about cars before, I majored in Electronics Technology, and after a lot of research and asking, I did a 5spd conversion on my car. Im thinkin of doing the head myself also, if that is the problem that is, so maybe I'll be able to help you out or vise versa.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a helms, grab your nuts, and just dig in... oh yea beer helps too... i just had to do that ****... bent 2 valves... stupid timing belt!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: (esohsee)

hey I jus took my valve cover out and theres no milky stuff. The oil seems to look all good. The stuff (sorry I dont know my engine parts) thats under the valve cover looks all new and what not. Its like a shiny gold color. Theres no oil in my coolant or any coolant in my oil. So that shows that my headgasket is still good right? Ok, I've read that theres a few things that could get into your exhuast system, which are oil, gas, and coolant. Could that white smoke be excess coolant that got into my exhaust system back when I hooked up my hoses wrong? I also looked on my exhuast and theres white stuff and black chunks near the internal tip.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok you probally didn't warp anything by letting it get almost to the reh on the guage. The fan not comming on is probally the fan switch on the fan relay. more than likley you blew your head gasket from sucking the coolant in the intake manifold. Since coolant is water it dont compress. Do a compression test and a leak down test. as for not having coolant in the oil and vise versa. you may be leaking coolant and or oil into the cylinders. Thats whats giving you your white, black smoke.

Quick Reply: d16y8 Engine Problem (white smoke & Rad. Fan Not goin on)