Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =(

Old 05-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =(

I un-installed my turbo kit a few days ago, and everything was fine except for a small oil leak coming from the oil return line plug. Not major but a real nuisance. anyway, I've been driving the car around now for maybe 3 days with just an intake and header as mods. Pretty much stock except for suspension parts. I noticed today that the car is drinking gas like MAD. Seriously. I can floor the car to merge on the freeway and literally watch the needle drop to E. However, it raises back up after a few seconds, maybe 15 seconds. Right now, i'm at 158.4 miles with only 1/4 of a tank left.

It has NEVER done this before, even when I was boosted. my fuel setup is back to stock, too, except for the VAFC that i wanted to keep: stock fuel pump, stock fuel injectors, stock fuel rail, you name it. the VAFC settings are 0% for fuel with throttle points at 10% low, 50% high. Anything to look for? No noticeable leaks from the injector seals or anything. and I don't think gas is seeping into my back seat or out of the tank.

Again, '97 Y8 with just an intake and A'PEXi header. even re-installed the stock exhaust. thanks. . . .
Old 05-16-2003, 07:32 PM

Default Re: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =( (Daniel)

well when you floor it, the gas goes to the back of the tank, so the needle drops then goes back up when you stop accelerating. as for the gas guzzling, im stumped
Old 05-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =( (allmtr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmtr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well when you floor it, the gas goes to the back of the tank, so the needle drops then goes back up when you stop accelerating. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand that, but when i was at a 1/2 tank, it went from the 1/2 mark to E. I don't think it usually drops that far. I'm obviously stumped, too. The car drives normally, too, just like the day i bought it new.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to sound like Capitan Obvious, but try cleaning your air filter maybe??? I dunno what to tell you man??
Old 05-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =( (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to sound like Capitan Obvious, but try cleaning your air filter maybe??? I dunno what to tell you man??</TD></TR></TABLE>

the intake was brand new when i installed it.

I check the plugs, gapped them over again, everything seems in check. I filled up about an hour ago, and i got 20.5 mpg. Boosted? 26 mpg. stock, 31 mpg. i drove around for a bit, and it seemed alright. we'll see how this tank goes. Hopefully it's just some kind of weird fluke.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to make sure, I'm assuming that when you removed the turbo that you also removed your fuel management right? Do you have larger injectors? Larger fuel pump? Changed your fuel pressure?
Old 05-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =( (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have larger injectors? Larger fuel pump? Changed your fuel pressure?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I replaced all my turbo fuel crap with the OEM stuff----stock fuel pump, stock injectors. the only thing I left was the VAFC. but I returned all the fuel settings to 0% correction across the board, so it's basically just an electric display of useless stuff.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is happening to me too. I have no clue. I am currently boosting with 440 injectors, aem fuel rail and 255 fuel pump and when i go around an off ramp and my tank is more than half full the needle goes to e and then goes back up. but if its at half of a tank and i make like three full pulls on 8.5 psi up to 120 my fuel is almost empty. I dont know. The only thing i can think of is when i installed my fuel pump i didnt seal the cap on the top of the tank good enough and its not getting a good seal, and evaporating out, who knows

prose
Old 05-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (aemciv)

You guys need to learn to gauge your MPG off of how many gallons you fill up with, not by how much the stock innacurate gauge shows.

I don't trust my gauge all that much when it gets below half a tank.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hot_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys need to learn to gauge your MPG off of how many gallons you fill up with</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is how I calculate my mpg, and i'm getting 21 mpg on an otherwise stock Y8 motor. 168 miles in 7.931 gallons.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:11 AM

maybe ur o2 sensor is bad or ur pcv or pvc valve...(forgot what its called but its the emissions valve).

Have u recenetly changed them?
Old 05-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah.never trust the gauges..so just fill up your tank full tank next time and run your car until it runs out of gas..and if it's at least 350 miles than you're ok..if less..than you're fucked
Old 05-17-2003, 08:22 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =( (Juraks)

^^^^^
That's the worst idea I've heard yet. You NEVER let your car run out of gas. Running your injectors dry will screw them up BAD.

My suggestion: Take your damn VAFC off. Why would you even have it on with the stock injectors? Sounds like you're heading off to "Rice-ville" to me.

If you have a fuel pump and FPR with stock injectors, you probably have the pressure set too high on your FPR and running too rich, therefore killing your mileage.

I run 440cc's, 15G kit @ 10psi, VAFC and still get almost 300 to the tank. You guys need to tune your cars or if you're going to run stock stuff, run stock stuff.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:36 AM

Default Re: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =( (SleeperCivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleeperCivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^^
That's the worst idea I've heard yet. You NEVER let your car run out of gas. Running your injectors dry will screw them up BAD.

My suggestion: Take your damn VAFC off. Why would you even have it on with the stock injectors? Sounds like you're heading off to "Rice-ville"me.

If you have a fuell pump and FPR with stock injectors, you probably have the pressure set too high on your FPR and running too rich, therefore killing your mileage.

I run 440cc's, 15G kit @ 10psi, VAFC and still get almost 300 to the tank. You guys need to tune your cars or if you're going to run stock stuff, run stock stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

first off - he understands its is a useless display atm. as for telling him he's heading to rice-ville... wast hat neccessary?

and if you read he put his fuel pump and etc. back to stock.

congrats on your 300 miles to the tank - cause wheni had my d16y8 i could get that if i babied it the whole tank.

-Paul
Old 05-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =( (SleeperCivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleeperCivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My suggestion: Take your damn VAFC off. Why would you even have it on with the stock injectors? Sounds like you're heading off to "Rice-ville" to me.

If you have a fuel pump and FPR with stock injectors, you probably have the pressure set too high on your FPR and running too rich, therefore killing your mileage.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, i'm heading to "Rice-ville." you don't even know me. don't make assumptions. So what if it's unnecessary? i know that and already wrote it. But I'm leaving it in my glovebox just for kicks. Besides, it's not hurting anything. How can it if the fuel settings are set to 0%? that means it's not correcting anything and again, is just a useless display in my glovebox.

And secondly, how bad is your reading comprehension? Or do you not understand what "stock" means? as h00kup pointed out, I already returned my fuel pump to stock, and nowhere did I write that I have an aftermarket FPR. i never even had one when I was boosted let alone now. I don't know where you got that idea from.

Anyway, I'll see how the engine does since I re-fueled last night. I drove around for like 28 miles, and it seemed to sip gas normally. i even floored it a few times, and the needle didn't even budge whereas it did before ... and very noticeably. We'll see. . . .

Old 05-18-2003, 05:40 AM

WAHHHHHHHH! Damn cry babies......
Old 05-18-2003, 07:39 AM

Default Re: (SleeperCivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleeperCivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WAHHHHHHHH! Damn cry babies......</TD></TR></TABLE>

shut it newb when you are corrected - get some ***** and be able to take your consequences when you don't read or think before speaking

-Paul
Old 05-18-2003, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (h00kup)

Okay, *******. First off, I'm a new on this board, but a post count doesn't mean ****. So go flame yourselves.....it doesn't waste any of MY time. Cheers!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:54 AM

Sleeper, do you just post on boards to make smart remarks to everyone. Haven't you been taught, " if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all."
Old 05-18-2003, 11:03 AM

Well, it wasn't intened to be a smart remark, but everyone got all butt-hurt over it and starting talking smack.....I'm all for it....
Old 05-18-2003, 11:39 AM

I don't know a whole lot about the VAFC, but it sounds like you had a computer problem. I'm thinking since you had the VAFC set to do nothing, the computer thought for a while that you still had the turbo on it. So it tried to send lots of fuel to the injectors. You were saying that the car was starting to run normal again recently? Most likely that is because the computer is starting to realize that the extra fuel is not needed.

Some people don't think this, but the ECU can learn. That's why many people reset their ECU after mod changes. You're ECU EVENTUALLY figures it out, but it could take several days depending on how much you drive.

To quickly do it, run the car to normal operating temps, shut it off, take out the fuse to the ECU and leave it out for a few minutes. Then stick it back in, then let it run for awhile, say 5-10 min. Then you're car should run good!

I didn't see you mention doing this, so I thought I'd mention it. If no one agrees with me, then I don't know what to tell ya. Everyone I know and have talked to does it and KNOWS it works. that's my 2 cents...
Old 05-18-2003, 12:04 PM

^^^^^
Good call man..... He hasn't diconnected the VAFC, so he might not have disconnected the battery cable. Who knows!
Old 05-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ECU has already been reset. It was the first thing done when the turbo kit was un-installed. and yeah, I know about the learning process of the ECU.

Thanks for helping, though.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleeperCivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, *******. First off, I'm a new on this board, but a post count doesn't mean ****. So go flame yourselves.....it doesn't waste any of MY time. Cheers! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets get a few things straight here Sleeper, when you call someone's car rice, they take offense to that. I dunno what other forums u came from [clubsi], but a lot of people here won't tolerate that crap. Learn the atmosphere become u come waltzing in thinking you know everything. Keep complaining and maybe you'll get banned.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=502665

Oh, and welcome to the boards.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:02 PM

See it's people like you who just **** people off. I didn't call his car rice, I said he's headed that way. Kinda like having a tach on an auto: you just don't need the damn thing. And I've never been to clubsi, so why don't you just suck my ***. Thanks! Oh, who cares that I got banned from HG? That site sucks anyway!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D16Y8 drinks gas like crazy! =(