Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y8 -> B16A2 swap - would this be my best bet for compatibility? (00 EX 5 speed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y8 -> B16A2 swap - would this be my best bet for compatibility? (00 EX 5 speed)

I have read the B16A2 is readily available, and for a reasonably price (~$1000-1500) - from searches it seems this is true, with most places advertising 40,000 - 60,000 mile engines.

Is this a reasonable route to take, because if it is, I will begin looking pretty quick because I want to replace my 152k y8 that's got a couple issues not worth spending the money to fix if I can get a better engine for a little more.

The real issue is the compatibility: I am not doing this myself, but I want to know, since you guys are the experts, what the real bottom line differences are going to be for this swap.

I will need to relay this information to my mechanic in order to coerce him into doing a swap; he expressed he doesn't like doing different engines because of the potential for problems to come up.

is this my best bet for cost/reliability/compatibility?

I want to get the mechanical issues out of the way so I can get some new wheels, a front bumper, exhaust, etc... help!

thanks and
Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first off check the F&Q up top there are step by step instructions and such for each swap.

one thing you are forgetting is that B series swap usually AVERAGE around 2500=3000 when all is siad and done.

1500 for the motor and tranny. then you need to get an ecu, axles, maybe even mounts, as well as other various items.

All b series swaps are going to be teh same diffuculty really.

just do some searchs on here or just read through the F&Q up top.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com is where most everyone suggest to get a motor. they might not be the cheapest but at least you get the best customer service and quality of the product.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should upgrade farther than the EM1 motor swap. They really don't seem to be too much faster than stock
Old 09-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever "the lobster" said, and your only gaining like 30 hp from the y8 to the B16. if this was like.. you have a eg cx that has 70 hp, and upgrading to a 160 hp si engine, thats more than 2x the power. but in this case, it isnt.

and yes, just like the lobster said, it will be around 3g's after its all said and done, you would want to replace the timing belt, water pump, all the other fluids, misc stuff, which all will add up very quickly

also you have to worry about the B16 getting stolen because people can hear that DHOC VTEC when you drive by. also think about gas (gas mileage will be a bit worse, and you have to use premium)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ8chu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8chu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should upgrade farther than the EM1 motor swap. They really don't seem to be too much faster than stock</TD></TR></TABLE>

also agree. i wasnt amazed when i had a b16 in eg coupe. Truthfully you will be way more happier with an LS and b16 tranny, and ill guarentee that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also think about gas (gas mileage will be a bit worse, and you have to use premium)</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh gas mileage will only be worst cause he will be romping on it all the time. true about the premium, but if he doesnt romp on it gas should be better. More power lighter chasis = better mpg power/weight ratio
Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

eh gas mileage will only be worst cause he will be romping on it all the time. true about the premium, but if he doesnt romp on it gas should be better. More power lighter chasis = better mpg power/weight ratio</TD></TR></TABLE>

well in the city if he drove the same way, it will be about the same since both of them are 1.6 liter engines, and the B16 is pretty much a D series below 3000 rpm. but what makes the b16 tranny bad is at the 5th gear, then thing is buzzing at 3000 rpm at 60 mph
Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: d16y8 -> B16A2 swap - would this be my best bet for compatibility? (EJ8_Enthusiast)

Any b-series swap is just as hard as any other B-series swap really, with the possible exception of the GS-R which involves running a couple of extra wires for the secondary butterflies in the intake, and is completely optional.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heh, yeah I didn't fully understand the $$ involved, I have another thread since then after giving up on a B, I am just going for a decent budget engine, most likely another y8 if I can find one or a similar D series

Thanks for the input though.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16y8 -> B16A2 swap - would this be my best bet for compatibility? (94EG8)

if you got the motor/trans for 1500.. you could probably do the entire swap for 2000.. including the price of the engine..

Get stuff from junkyard list:
Shift linkage - from any 94-01 integra.
axles - any 94-01 integra (if you have the matching intermediate shaft)
upper and lower radiator hoses

New stuff:
Civic SI mounts (trans mount, rear T, drivers side mount bracket)
b16a timing belt + external belts
dohc vtec water pump
thermostat + coolant

reuse your existing harness.. just modifiy it to fit
this swap or any other b series (as long as its obd2) is a pretty easy swap.
just a lot of manual labor.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM d15b drops right in, just need the ecu
Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16y8 -> B16A2 swap - would this be my best bet for compatibility? (geebs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by geebs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you got the motor/trans for 1500.. you could probably do the entire swap for 2000.. including the price of the engine..

Get stuff from junkyard list:
Shift linkage - from any 94-01 integra.
axles - any 94-01 integra (if you have the matching intermediate shaft)
upper and lower radiator hoses

New stuff:
Civic SI mounts (trans mount, rear T, drivers side mount bracket)
b16a timing belt + external belts
dohc vtec water pump
thermostat + coolant

reuse your existing harness.. just modifiy it to fit
this swap or any other b series (as long as its obd2) is a pretty easy swap.
just a lot of manual labor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are also forgetting an ECU as well as probably a jumper harness

and if the swap includes a dizzy as well as header, and some cheap wiring of course.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civiccoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whatever "the lobster" said, and your only gaining like 30 hp from the y8 to the B16. if this was like.. you have a eg cx that has 70 hp, and upgrading to a 160 hp si engine, thats more than 2x the power. but in this case, it isnt.

and yes, just like the lobster said, it will be around 3g's after its all said and done, you would want to replace the timing belt, water pump, all the other fluids, misc stuff, which all will add up very quickly

also you have to worry about the B16 getting stolen because people can hear that DHOC VTEC when you drive by. also think about gas (gas mileage will be a bit worse, and you have to use premium)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really, because I was under the impression that all Honda VTEC engines require 89 or better. They did that just so the cars could run on the California 89. If you drive like a human you can see 36 MPG highway from the swap. I get 30 and I do some "spirited" driving. As for HP, 30 may not look like much on paper, but I have a B16 swap I/H/E and my brother rocks the D16 I/H/E/IM and he'll stay with me for the first second then the B just pulls. It is overall the easiest bolt in for that year but don't forget, you could get the GS-R for a few hundred more and get about an extra 12 footies, 10 HP, and .2L...

Good luck with your decision and I hope I helped