Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y8

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y8

what can i add to my stock d16y8 engine to give me more power? all ive added to it is an AEM intake. thanks for the help
Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16y8 (lkwdscr7)

i/h/e or forced induction...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 PM

if na is ur thing then get a nice cam. gude used to make some badasss ones. im not sure if this trick works on the y8, but on the z6 u can put a b series throttle body on there and injectors (cheap mods but a cam will make a big difference.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SoCal B18b 4dr)

I've answered this question like 3x in the last 2 days.

"getting more power out of my SOHC" is one of the most commonly asked questions.

Just search (big red button in upper right corner) - it's been covered MANY times. There is NO lack of information about this topic. It's been asked and argued over many, MANY times.

As Mike (Archidictus) would say:
"Boost or nothing"

The I/H/E is all useless crap and not worth the $, you put a DC Sports header on it, you put an AEM V2 on it, you put a Apexi Exhaust on it.

Congrats you spent damn near 1k in performance parts and you're gaining a grand total of ~15whp (tops).

Boost or leave it.

EDIT:
PS: In my personal opinion when you build a D all motor to say ~160whp (which can be done for the price of a GSR swap...and can beat the GSR swap), it becomes "iffY" in terms of streetability.

You're talking about a really high comp setup and probably a cam that overlays a bit. The "streetability" becomes "iffy."

That's just my personal opinion on it though.

Y'kno, race cars and daily driver's don't mix - you can't daily drive a 2 speed power glide 1500whp camaro - same deal here when you put that much power all motor into a D.

So boost or just leave it man, you can throw together a NICE turbo kit for 1-2 grand and run it fly on stock internals. GSR eater .
Old 09-13-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=335078
Have fun, search, So on and So on read up sir
Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (soundpsych)

Boost it.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maxxd97)

Boost is the ONLY way to make power on the D-series. Syndacate spelled it out for you.

What's your budget like? I can try to help you piece together a build if I know what numbers you're playing with. If you want to go cheap, I have a few T25s, matching manifolds, and dsm side mounts for a stock-internals build. I can let go dirt cheap; but I recommend you just spend the money and build your bottom end+bigger turbo.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrakeDanceJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've answered this question like 3x in the last 2 days.

"getting more power out of my SOHC" is one of the most commonly asked questions.

Just search (big red button in upper right corner) - it's been covered MANY times. There is NO lack of information about this topic. It's been asked and argued over many, MANY times.

As Mike (Archidictus) would say:
"Boost or nothing"

The I/H/E is all useless crap and not worth the $, you put a DC Sports header on it, you put an AEM V2 on it, you put a Apexi Exhaust on it.

Congrats you spent damn near 1k in performance parts and you're gaining a grand total of ~15whp (tops).

Boost or leave it.

EDIT:
PS: In my personal opinion when you build a D all motor to say ~160whp (which can be done for the price of a GSR swap...and can beat the GSR swap), it becomes "iffY" in terms of streetability.

You're talking about a really high comp setup and probably a cam that overlays a bit. The "streetability" becomes "iffy."

That's just my personal opinion on it though.

Y'kno, race cars and daily driver's don't mix - you can't daily drive a 2 speed power glide 1500whp camaro - same deal here when you put that much power all motor into a D.

So boost or just leave it man, you can throw together a NICE turbo kit for 1-2 grand and run it fly on stock internals. GSR eater .</TD></TR></TABLE>

very nicely put

that quote should be a sticky at the VERY top of the HT so that people dont need to ask anymore.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

If you are smart you have one option and one option only... turbo. And since you are in CA your only option is to purchase a CARB certified turbo kit, such as Edelbrock (most complete), Greddy, and like I always mention... Drag (heard they have CARB cert kits - check it out).

Going N/A on a SOHC is going to cost a lot more (vague description I know) to get the same whp as you would by turbo'ng it. And Im guessing this is your DD, which would most likely make it pretty uncomfortable to drive depending on your whp mark. In any event, getting power N/A out of the SOHC and still passing CA smog regulations is pretty much out of the question.

Do yourself a favor, stop spending money on useless bolt-ons and invest in a good turbo set up
Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: d16y8 (lkwdscr7)

thanks for all the help everyone all this info is really good thanks again