D16Y7 Valve Train Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y7 Valve Train Question

Hi everyone,
My vehicle is a 2000 Honda Civic CX.

Does anybody have any experience with these D16Y7 SOHC valve trains? I am having trouble finding information on how many dowl pins are supposed to be installed on the bottom side of the valve train. I took the valve train out when I was doing a head gasket replacement, I went to reinstall the valve train and at first, I thought I was missing some dowel pins. but after a closer look, I am thinking that the pins that I thought went missing actually were never there in the first place. Can anybody confirm this for me?

As you can see in the picture below, there are 4 spots that do not have dowel pins and I need to know if those 4 spots are designed NOT to have pins? The left side of the image is the distributor side of the valve train flipped upsidedown.

Locations of possible missing pins???

This new dowel pin does not fit and neither do the smaller pins for the outter holes. Is it possible that these pins do not exist in these holes?

New Dowel Pin does not fit in this hole. Maybe not designed for a dowel pin in this hole???
Old 06-15-2018, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: D16Y7 Valve Train Question

More is not better. Two dowel pins will exactly position the part. Three would put it in a bind.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
More is not better. Two dowel pins will exactly position the part. Three would put it in a bind.
Well I don't want to add any that don't belong there. In the top picture you can see the 4 areas I highlighted that do not have dowel pins. I am wondering if those 4 areas are supposed to have pins OR no pins. I kind of just assumed that they fell out so I bought the Honda OEM pins for this valve train.

I don't remember any pins falling out when I lifted the valve train out, I feel like I would have noticed. But it seems odd to me that there would be an uneven spot with no pins. But I am not an expert in these motors and this is my first time taking one apart and putting it back together.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

A parts diagram will show how many dowel pins there are and where they go. The last picture the dowel pin could be pushed into the cam cap and you placed another on top.