Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   d16y7 head on jdm d15b block questions that I cannot find answers to (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/d16y7-head-jdm-d15b-block-questions-i-cannot-find-answers-3040450/)

LordAphotic 03-24-2012 11:33 PM

d16y7 head on jdm d15b block questions that I cannot find answers to

Hi everyone.

Please before you tell me to search. I have been searching for a very long time almost a week now.. At the bottom of this I will put links to my useless searches. Someone help me please cause this is somewhat of a headache.

First let me introduce the original problem. My friend had a d16y7 and he ran low on oil and block seized up.. I had a jdm d15b dual vtec motor laying around with 2 burned valves but strong engine block... so I combined the two. d16y7 head on d15b block.

Here is the new problem. I finally started the engine up and first i boosted the octane cause of the increased compression but the engine ran just slightly off... strong but off... then the manifold started glowing red so i realised the timing must have been heavily retarded.

I am not sure what timing belt or cam gear I am suppose to be using.... from my searches it said to use a pm3b 88-95 D series camgear and a d16y7 timing belt.

This did not work the d16y7 timing belt was much too long. even with the tensioner up all the way .So I used the D15b timing belt and it fits fine and i can rotate it forever without the timing ever changing so I think this belt will work...

But when it comes to the camgear... am I suppose to use the entire camshaft too or just the camgear? The pm3b 88-95 dseries camgear made the manifold glow red hot. So i switched it back to the d16y7 camgear and it idled for a few minutes before finally glowing red so the timing must have been less retarded then....

I have lined up the marks perfect every time so i know its not that.. but i know the timing is still off so i am defitnatly doing something wrong.... the question is what??

Here are random links to useless results in my search for this answer(THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO TELL ME TO SEARCH)
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-d15-sohc-vtec-mini-me-massive-write-up-56k-goodbye-554053/
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f87/...-block-340499/
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=59236
https://honda-tech.com/search.php?searchid=8307801
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...15b-block.html
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/y7-head-d15b2-block-97-coupe-2599240/
http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-eg-ek-dc...5-head-508979/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/new-head-installed-my-89-wagon-d16y7-d15b2-block-i-have-some-issues-though-2871080/
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-problems.html

Someone please end this problem!!This is just a fraction of my search but I see people tell other people to search and I am not sure why cause the answer doesnt seem to be readily available or I am reading the wrong links!

tahitianclean 03-25-2012 02:19 AM

Re: d16y7 head on jdm d15b block questions that I cannot find answers to

sounds like a shit project. spend a little money and put a new d16 in there, dont build a crap single cam frankenmotor for your freind, it wont do him any favors and if hes really too broke or dumb to do it himself then he needs a job. glowing red manifold lmao wow

LordAphotic 03-25-2012 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by tahitianclean (Post 47083157)
sounds like a shit project. spend a little money and put a new d16 in there, dont build a crap single cam frankenmotor for your freind, it wont do him any favors and if hes really too broke or dumb to do it himself then he needs a job. glowing red manifold lmao wow

hey stalker,

replies like this are what put out so many dead end threads that clutter up the internet with garbage. In these situations where you clearly dont know the answer or anything for that matter the right thing woulda been to keep your mouth shut. but Im sure you arent worried about looking like an ass.

UltimateAmature 03-25-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by LordAphotic (Post 47083172)
hey stalker,

replies like this are what put out so many dead end threads that clutter up the internet with garbage. In these situations where you clearly dont know the answer or anything for that matter the right thing woulda been to keep your mouth shut. but Im sure you arent worried about looking like an ass.

^^^
This site is here for people to recive help. No question is dumb at all simply for the fact not all people know what to do.. hense why were here on this fourm. i have many questions that could be simple.. the only way im gunna learn is to ask and people like you are no help and are a waste of a username. :ban:

westniles 03-25-2012 09:08 PM

I think he was trying to advise against completing the build. Lol yes he was abrasive but technically it was technical advice. People we are not here for politics or emotions. I could care less if some internet personality puts me or my build down. Nobody is forcing you to read anything lol hondatech makes me laugh more than anything. No offense intended.

RatRod 03-25-2012 09:26 PM

I'd let it forward a tooth and make sure it went over by hand smooth before i tried it :)

Alpha Q 03-25-2012 09:30 PM

I Agree don't build a mini-me
build a full z6 or y8
you will spend more time working out all the crap on the mini-me for no real gains

LordAphotic 03-26-2012 08:45 AM

too late its done. the camgear to use was the y7 one and the timing belt with less teeth was the correct one to use. and the markings on the plastic cover had moved since it wasnt fully on apparently but totally looked like it was... so lined everything up and fired it up. runs ****ing great. way more power then before too. best of all. it was done with free.

the whole point to this was to see which items i was supposed to use to get this running. i was just doing a favor for a friend and its done now. and works great and the actual problem was relatively simple...

to not do something simply because its hard is flat out retarded. you only have to learn it once. then once you do the knowledge will be a tool in your box. this car now almost has 11 to 1 compression ratio and like i said before.. this was done with free. so this is a god damn success... if anyone else has issues with this build let me know cause i know how hard it is to get past the sheep who keep saying the same cliches without knowing a damn thing about the subject...

Arthas 03-26-2012 09:12 AM

Youre using 91 octane?

LordAphotic 03-26-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Arthas (Post 47089021)
Youre using 91 octane?

actually a buncha octane boost right now cause there was still some gas in the tank but from now on 91 octane

KoNEY 03-26-2012 09:35 PM

As stupid as it may sound, I would physically count the teeth on the sprockets. Both crank sprockets and both cam sprockets. You never know, it could be something you can't keep in time because the ratio is off. I know it seems like if it were off that the more it spun the more it would go out of wack, but I've seen crazier things happen.

Arthas 03-26-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by LordAphotic (Post 47092705)
actually a buncha octane boost right now cause there was still some gas in the tank but from now on 91 octane

lol wtf??

Dude use 87 haha.

jbpnoman 03-26-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Arthas (Post 47093388)
lol wtf??

Dude use 87 haha.

87 on 11:1. Yeah, that sounds smart.

westniles 03-26-2012 10:03 PM

Did u actually measure that compression ratio or did u just figure it out by taking the stock d15b figure and compensate it with the y7 combustion chamber dimensions? Im genuinely curious. If u really are running that compression id get some chevron 91 in there asap, those octane "boosters" actualy do very little to raise octane levels 9 times out of ten and u will end up pingin quite a bit.

jbpnoman 03-26-2012 10:07 PM

http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

westniles 03-26-2012 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jbpnoman (Post 47093471)

That calculator shows a d16 block with d15 head, in the post title its the other way around? Just trying to clarify but thats an interesting lil gizmo in that link either way, if its accurate. Edit: ahh i see it was at default configuration. I would have to kno ur exact combination of internals to replicate ur results im guessing.

jbpnoman 03-26-2012 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by westniles (Post 47093506)
That calculator shows a d16 block with d15 head, in the post title its the other way around? Just trying to clarify but thats an interesting lil gizmo in that link either way, if its accurate. Edit: ahh i see it was at default configuration. I would have to kno ur exact combination of internals to replicate ur results im guessing.

I made a few educated guesses, and it came out to 10:1. D15 block/crank, D16Y7 head, PM3 pistons, D15 rods, D15 head gasket, zero milling. It wouldn't surprise me if I picked the wrong pistons, and the block and/or head was milled, so 11:1 makes sense.

LordAphotic 03-27-2012 03:24 AM

Thanks a lot guys!! Its running great but while assembling it I had also cleaned up the engine real good so that when it was running I could instantly spot any leaks... so right now I am just taking care of those details and also a few little things because this car was sitting for a while so things like the Fast Idle Valve kinda aren't working right so I am going to take those apart and clean them up or replace them.. and soon I will report back with pictures and information about this setup....

the cam gear thing is interesting cause i have 3 cam gears and all 3 have the same number of teeth but they are slightly off from each other... and i will show why in pictures... I am going to try and answer all the questions I couldn't get answers for and put some decent pictures of these cams out here so this isn't just another dead end thread.

I appreciate all the help in this thread! and as for the advice on the gas.. in that case better safe then sorry... so much work went into this and there's half a tank of gas I think I will just buy that gas off my friend since my car can easily run it and that way he can use the 91 only. It did ping a little for a short amount of time but I think that was before it got to the octane boosted gas cause after there was a noticeable difference... but that only means I should definitively get that 91 in there...

Pictures will come soon as I finish up all the little details on this civic.

ej1ryder 03-29-2012 04:23 PM

Pics? Good idea upping the octane, just in case it really is 11:1. Better safe then pingin sorry lol. If i had a doller for all the people i saw run 87 in b16 b18c and k20a/z id be rich. Abd then they wonder why its runnin shitty and losing power lol.

Jyarbrough121 10-10-2018 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by LordAphotic (Post 47088848)
too late its done. the camgear to use was the y7 one and the timing belt with less teeth was the correct one to use. and the markings on the plastic cover had moved since it wasnt fully on apparently but totally looked like it was... so lined everything up and fired it up. runs ****ing great. way more power then before too. best of all. it was done with free.

the whole point to this was to see which items i was supposed to use to get this running. i was just doing a favor for a friend and its done now. and works great and the actual problem was relatively simple...

to not do something simply because its hard is flat out retarded. you only have to learn it once. then once you do the knowledge will be a tool in your box. this car now almost has 11 to 1 compression ratio and like i said before.. this was done with free. so this is a god damn success... if anyone else has issues with this build let me know cause i know how hard it is to get past the sheep who keep saying the same cliches without knowing a damn thing about the subject...

hey if there is a private messenger or something please PM I am doing same swap. And need help asap only car. Only reason is blown head gasket

Free Man 10-10-2018 02:35 PM

Frankenstein motors are cool as hell. Dude, fuck the haters. If you can, get an adjustable cam gear and try to get tuning capability.

Jyarbrough121 10-10-2018 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Free Man (Post 51750679)
Frankenstein motors are cool as hell. Dude, fuck the haters. If you can, get an adjustable cam gear and try to get tuning capability.

ok I'll see if I can thank you