Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d16y7 drain plug for coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16y7 drain plug for coolant?

do i have to drain coolant from cylinder block drain plug then replace the water pump, and put a new timing? because i had a hard time to unbolt it with a 19mm, medium ratchet. it was tight. um i would appericate any suggestion, advice, or tip to how to do it. (im a first timer for water pump)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: d16y7 drain plug for coolant?

you don't have to, you'll just have coolant come out when you pull the water pump.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drain radiator then have a large bucket/pan under the pump when you pull it loose.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend think that if i reuse coolant back to block and radiator is a bad idea. i think i did flush it and put it new when two month ago. or... need a new coolant? (noob question)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

reusing coolant is silly. especially in a civic where it takes about a gallon to fill.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

if you did put it in 2 months ago....you can reuse it....depending on what you put in 2 months ago. If you put in cheapo walmart supertech, then yea its silly to reuse it. If you got Honda coolant...Its good for a long time. Id reuse
Old 10-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a another noob question!!! if i remove the water pump, and coolant out all way? and do i have to clean it with distilled water all way,then water go out (clean all way?) my english is so bad. grr umm then iif i put a new coolant fluid in a radiator would it go to both new hoses inside the block? where can i breed the air out? is it thermostat bleed? or...connected to my hose? my engine is d16y7 i will apperciate if i can collect new infos before i do real action to my engine. btw i'm waiting for my crank pulley tool for remove the pulley in 2 week.. i just want to take rest, and studying my d16 engine while my tool get shipped to my home
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hows the cars maint history?
I didnt flush my engine with distilled water when I did my timing belt but then again Ive had the car since new and have never let the coolant go too long. If your car was neglected you can do the flush.

search radiator flush
then search bleed coolant system

Im sure you'll find topics that RonJ has posted pics from the service manual to walk you through the procedure. both super easy. if you have any problem finding either, let me know and Ill do it for you. Lots of info in the previous posts though and its super helpful to read them to learn and makes the whole thing a lot easier

if this is your first time removing a crank pulley bolt, start drenching it in pb blaster today, as in right now. do it 2x a day til you get the part. then...You better source a 10 ft piece of pipe as a cheater bar, especially if your car has been living in the snowy parts of the northern us.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
hows the cars maint history?
I didnt flush my engine with distilled water when I did my timing belt but then again Ive had the car since new and have never let the coolant go too long. If your car was neglected you can do the flush.

search radiator flush
then search bleed coolant system

Im sure you'll find topics that RonJ has posted pics from the service manual to walk you through the procedure. both super easy. if you have any problem finding either, let me know and Ill do it for you. Lots of info in the previous posts though and its super helpful to read them to learn and makes the whole thing a lot easier

if this is your first time removing a crank pulley bolt, start drenching it in pb blaster today, as in right now. do it 2x a day til you get the part. then...You better source a 10 ft piece of pipe as a cheater bar, especially if your car has been living in the snowy parts of the northern us.
i have changed oil often every 3,000 mile, and flushed radiator two month ago. last month i got a little steamed from coolant resouvr. i assumed new radiator, thermostat, and water pump would do trick to see what happen ( thats what i'm gonna do) i used to live in montana. it was snowy yeah. yes this is my first time to remove the crank pulley. thats why i ordered this http://automotivetool.files.wordpres...ulley_tool.jpg i got a breaker bar and a torque wench, impact sockets collection, collections of tools. in fact i can put a pix if you like.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

redem can you show me where can i bleed air out?? ( the location where i can do).
Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure

I posted the wrong pic here...sorry

jack up front of car....run without radiator cap is the way I do it. takes about 20 mins to circulate through and get the bubbles out.

you MUST put the heater onto HOT and MAX...(doesnt have to be ON...but in the HOT/MAX settings) to open the vents
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure

I posted the wrong pic here...sorry

jack up front of car....run without radiator cap is the way I do it. takes about 20 mins to circulate through and get the bubbles out.

you MUST put the heater onto HOT and MAX...(doesnt have to be ON...but in the HOT/MAX settings) to open the vents
thats it? there isnt a thermostat air bleed or water pump bleed, or a small hose connected to my block air bleed? this d16y7 on the 97 civic is different from 90 to 94. usually they let air bleed out from the hose on block had a bolt that can get out air.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jack up front of car....
Or park on a hill.