D16y7 to d16z6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y7 to d16z6

D16z6 bare engine
Hello all.
Sorry for the maasive detail and probably silly questions but here goes....
I have a daily 1999 civic coupe manual d16y7. Engine is on its way out done over 150kmiles. Now, I have been kindly donated a d16z6 engine, no alternator, no air con (deleting anyway). It has intake mani and throttle body and fuel rail incl injectors. I believe the wiring loom is included as it is still plugged into the injectors. On this loom I have lots of connectors which I dont know does what or plugs where, this is something I can fiddle with seeing what plugs go where but a diagram of connectors and blocks would help. I also have been given the original p28 which came with the civic eg back in 1994. I have ordered a rywire obd2b to obd1. I have a spare dizzy from my d15z6 auto sedan (different project) would this work on the d16z6 or can I use the d16y7 dizzy. I dont have the d16z6 dizzy. I heard an adapter harness I may need to use the d16y7 dizzy but im not sure for definite.
Now then, I want the swap to be done with the least amount of cutting or wiring as I want it hopefully done over this weekend (weather permitted). I have been looking for a few months slowly getting bits together and I only have this weekend availible to get started. Could someone post me a link to maybe other threads or even talk me through it. I understand it will take research but I want to make sure I am looking at the relevant information. Preferably from someone who has done this sort of swap before.
I have the tools ready including little things like an 8mm punch for the gear linkages etc. I am desperate for some helpful information.

Update;
I have received an obd2b to obd1 harness to plug into my p28 ecu and still use the original y7 loom.
Would the y7 injectors fit the z6 engine? Im not sure what connectors will need to be removed if im using the y7 loom.

Obd2b to odb1 rywire harness.

Update 2/10/17.

I have installed the d16z6 engine into the 1999 coupe with gear box. I have transferred the alt and p/s pump with belts minus air con (not worth it for the week of sunshine in the uk) on to the z6 from the y7.
Aside from the mechanicals as such, I am now entering my uncomfortable mode whereby need to wire it all up. Is there anyone out there who has there hands on a complete d16z6 wiring diagram for all the connectors below (see image) as then I know what the d16z6 needs electrical wise to function then I can adapt the y7 loom to fit. I got my hands on a z6 loom in case I needed any connectors from it to attatch to my y7 wiring loom.
I did answer my own question, the y7 injectors fit but the rail doesnt 2 bolt, I need an orginal eg5 fuel rail only which I have. Now the dizzy got me thinking... the y7 dizzy doesn't bolt up, I do have a d15z5 dizzy which looks ok to bolt up would it work with a y7 loom.

D16z6 engine loom
Ultimately my question is, what is needed from the y7 loom to make the z6 engine work. What's needed to be cut and connected. I have a vague idea of what connector is what but not 100% sure.

To the most people here this is a minor build but to me its full on and have learned lots already through trial, error and researching diagrams, though I feel like I'm going round in circles.

D16z6 hardware installedThanks for reading.
Adam.

Last edited by Adam Smith; 10-02-2017 at 10:53 AM.