Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16Y7 Crankshaft TDC NOT matching up to cam sprocket TDC

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y7 Crankshaft TDC NOT matching up to cam sprocket TDC

Im new to the forum and Hondas, so hi. Anyway I'll let you know what I have going on.

I bought a 96 Honda DX with a D16Y7, it ran fine when I test drove and bought it. I like to do all of the fluids and every maintenance thing I can after I buy a used car, for piece of mind and because I don't trust anyone working on my stuff but me.

Long story short, I went to adjust the valves using a Haynes manual, which I was leery of since their valve specs in their book for a D16Y7 doesn't match the ones on the hood from Honda. Nevertheless I adjusted them based off of the crankshaft being at TDC. Good thing because whoever did the valve adjustments before tightened them down, so there was no play at all in them. You seriously couldn't get a .127mm feeler gauge under them.

Now its 15000 miles later and its been running great at least as far as I know since its my 1st civic, but I've beat the **** out of it plenty in those 15000 miles, I'm not easy on cars at all. If it matters it has 192000 miles on it, but I now have an actual Honda manual for my car and would like to adjust them again based off of their method.

This is wear I'm running into my dilemma and hoping someone can clear it up for me.

This is with the cam sprocket at TDC

Now with the sprocket at TDC, its no wheres near lining up with the white mark on the crank pulley. Is this normal? I have pictures of the sprocket with the crank lined up with the white TDC mark if the helps, along with pics of the distributor position.

And since I'm here, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be able to do this with my fingers. This is as far as it'll go by hand with little effort, well as far as Im willing to pull it, I'm sure I could pull it off.

Thinking its time for a new tensioner, belt, seals, water pump and anything else thats in there, since ill already be in there.

Thank you guys for any help, its appreciated.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: D16Y7 Crankshaft TDC NOT matching up to cam sprocket TDC

The crank pulley has the white TDC1 mark and a group of three marks, the middle of which is red. The cam pulley marks align with the top surface of the head. If the marks don't line up, then the timing is off by a tooth.

Last edited by Former User; 12-10-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a timing belt / water pump / tensioner on my D16Y7 and ran into a similar issue with a loose feeling timing belt. After installing the new one and following the tightening procedure in the service manual, it still had a good bit of deflection on the long side. I decided to use one of my hands to press the tensioner a bit tighter while I tightened it, which seems to have been fine to do. It's not whining or anything like that.

My point was: I don't know if it's normal for them to "feel" loose like that, but mine was similar to that when I adjusted it according to the manual's directions. However, I am 99% sure you shouldn't actually be able to pull it off.

Don't those stripes on the timing belt mean it's getting pretty worn?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Trial User

Yea I figured it was off a tooth, just double checking before I go messing with it. Ill check the timing on it tomorrow too, the distributor looks like it's retarded all the way.

And yea I'm replacing the belt and everything. Not sure if the stripes mean its worn or not, but assuming the previous owner changed it at the right maintenance intervals its due.

Thank you for the help guys.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the "stripes" are more a sign that it was over tightened and was rubbing hard on the tensioner. since you're replacing it just make sure you tighten it to the correct spec.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I had gotten this good of an answer when I posted my first thread.

Same issue except I hadn't done anything but put a timing light on it. My Dizzy is fully retarded and is still a few degrees ahead of the red marks.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/has-my-timing-belt-jumped-3174191/