Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   D16Y head swap (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/d16y-head-swap-951987/)

hodaka100 08-07-2004 06:42 PM

D16Y head swap

I have 1998 Honda Civic EX Vtec SOHC and was wondering if a DOHC Vtec B18 head or a DOHC VTEC B16 head will bolt right on to my existing motor? Is it worth it or should I just swap in a B18 motor from an Integra?

Does anyone know how to take off or raise the rev limiter while retaining OBD II?
How strong is the bottom end on the D16? How high can I raise the red line if I upgrade the valve springs and valves?

beedoublejay 08-07-2004 06:46 PM

Re: D16Y head swap (hodaka100)

I hate to burst your bubble man but, that ain't gona happen.

honda9369 08-07-2004 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=hodaka100]I have 1998 Honda Civic EX Vtec SOHC and was wondering if a DOHC Vtec B18 head or a DOHC VTEC B16 head will bolt right on to my existing motor? No! just read some forums in hear and learn how to make your y8 faster for now

hodaka100 08-07-2004 07:03 PM

Re: D16Y head swap (honda9369)

Any suggestions on what I should do if I can't swap the head to make my car faster? I want to try to do this as inexpensively as possible. I already have a cold air intake, spiral spark plug wires, and headers.

I'm also really curious about the rev limiter.

I don't want to rebuild the bottom end or do too much to it incase I decide to spend the $$ and drop in a B18 motor.

B18Mario 08-09-2004 08:09 PM

You got a 1.6 L EX correct .. well you could drop a B16 head with the SI computer and have it done in the shop it will fit

Revolver 08-09-2004 08:20 PM

Re: D16Y head swap (B18Mario)

Why do you think you need to play with the limiter? It's there for a reason. It doesnt appear that you know a whole lot, so leave it there for insurance. Also, try searching. There are endless threads on making your single cam faster.

jerbear! 08-10-2004 02:42 AM

Re: D16Y head swap (B18Mario)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Mario &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You got a 1.6 L EX correct .. well you could drop a B16 head with the SI computer and have it done in the shop it will fit </TD></TR></TABLE>

no you cant.

ace42004 08-10-2004 05:23 AM

Re: D16Y head swap (jerbear!)

hahahahahahahahahahaha....hey u should go and buy a b16 head and give me ur ex head....but im tellin u right now its not gonna fit....just think about it...b16 is a DOHC engine and EX is a SOHC engine....

hodaka100 08-10-2004 06:54 AM

Re: D16Y head swap (Revolver)

actually it appears that you don't know a whole lot if you think that it can't/shouldn't be done... i'm asking if anyone has raised the rev limiter bc i have not done it on OBD 2 before....i want to put in a higher RPM camshaft. i also want to put in better valve springs and lighter valves so that the top end could handle the higher RPM

jolt-tsp 08-10-2004 07:16 AM

No no no no! b-series and d-series are very different.

If you want power on your y8 go turbo. http://www.homemadeturbo.com

TurboEH2 08-10-2004 07:28 AM

ok man imma break a few things down for you.

your engine = D-SERIES and while someone made the jackass comment about single cam and dual cam not realizing there are DOHC d-series. NO YOU CANNOT USE THE B-SERIES HEAD ON YOUR D-SERIES BLOCK.

as for the rev limiter. chip it. it can be done. you also could look into an ems (not that you need it, but itll accomplish some of the things u want) as hondata or aem ems. but your engine will not withstand u reving as high as i think you want to rev. so leave it alone. and buy a swap or built your d-series. but first start reading about hondas, and how the basic engine works, before u go attemping anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hodaka100 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually it appears that you don't know a whole lot if you think that it can't/shouldn't be done</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually it appears u dont know alot, so next time learn a little somthing somthing before calling someone an idiot, you idiot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Mario &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You got a 1.6 L EX correct .. well you could drop a B16 head with the SI computer and have it done in the shop it will fit </TD></TR></TABLE>

no buddy, you cant. but good try.

TurboEH2 08-10-2004 07:31 AM

Re: D16Y head swap (VTECschmetec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hodaka100 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I already have a cold air intake, spiral spark plug wires, and headers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HEADER, singular not plural. you only have one.

murmur9 08-10-2004 07:45 AM

Ya, a lot of people on here are dicks. Just because the same topice pop up day after day...

Just post up one day searching any questions that pop up on your car...trust me...it will come up. Read the daily post too... incase of a problem that someone had...you might have in the future. Helps with troubleshooting in the future.

Like 'ol dude said chip it. some people on here do it for like 150$-250$. If you want...you could probably do it yourself. DONT throw up a post asking how to chip your ECU.....just do a SEARCH. ITS IN THERE. lol Spend a grand a get a turbo ....(do searches and they will tell you how a turbo works, options, and a how-to write up is most def. on here as well.) Piece, by piece.

you already have (i believe...im probably wrong) the best D series SOHC motor in american hondas. (96-00) So ...keep the D and build it up...there are quite a few people running good times with a SOHC SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO.... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

TurboEH2 08-10-2004 07:53 AM

Re: D16Y head swap (murmur9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murmur9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Ya, a lot of people on here are dicks. Just because the same topice pop up day after day... </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes and no. the reason i may have come off a little harsh is the fact when someone answered his question he told them they were wrong.

people on here who are dicks are normally dicks for a reason. the question is fine it is when the person gets defensive is when it turns ugly. i think i answered his question to the point where he should realize ok it wont work now i should take what i have learned and re-evaluate what i want to do. like i said it isnt the people are dicks it is that PEOPLE MAKE THEM DICKS https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

jolt-tsp 08-10-2004 08:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECschmetec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HEADER, singular not plural. you only have one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

While I agree with the other stuff you said, don't point out crap just to point it out. You don't know if he has a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 do you? Therefore you don't know if he has 1 header (4-1) or 3 headers (4-2-1 (2-1, 2-1 to 2-1)).

nonsense 08-10-2004 09:01 AM

Re: D16Y head swap (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

While I agree with the other stuff you said, don't point out crap just to point it out. You don't know if he has a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 do you? Therefore you don't know if he has 1 header (4-1) or 3 headers (4-2-1 (2-1, 2-1 to 2-1)). </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's still one header. If he had a V6 or V8 he could have headers. Or maybe he has an extra one in his garage.

anyway, I'm wearing shorts, only one pair tho. I using scissors to cut out an article about three deer. The english language is so clear and concise LOL

jolt-tsp 08-10-2004 09:18 AM

Re: D16Y head swap (nonsense)

head·er n. A pipe that serves as a central connection for two or more smaller pipes.

So each peice of the 4-2-1 is it's own header, forming a group of headers. Anyway, doesn't really matter, just being a jerk. Too bad header can't be like sheep. Or is that headers can't be like sheep? https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif

Revolver 08-10-2004 09:43 AM

As was stated above, you dont need to raise you're rev limiter. If you're having a cam put in I would hope that you know more about you car then you do but with a cam, then maybe you would raise it. Maybe. I dont think you should boost it or go swap because I dont think the misinformed/uneducated should be alowed to go fast. My .02

TurboEH2 08-10-2004 10:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

While I agree with the other stuff you said, don't point out crap just to point it out. You don't know if he has a 4-1 or a 4-2-1 do you? Therefore you don't know if he has 1 header (4-1) or 3 headers (4-2-1 (2-1, 2-1 to 2-1)). </TD></TR></TABLE>

arent the 2-1 and 2-1 one peice. that lead to a 2-1. making it a 2 peice and not 3? or does you 4-2-1 have 2 pipes from the head, and another 2 pipes from the head, which leads to another 2 pipes, with lead to the cat, or testpipe (whichever you are running)? making it a 2 peice and not 3? i see where u are going with this. and NO. its dumb. dont try. thank you come again https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif