Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16a6 vitara/scat built , How do I install block guard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16a6 vitara/scat built , How do I install block guard?

My block guard came with my motor it has no branding or numbers of any kind on it , I have no idea what in the world or who makes it. it has oil holes in it and some are bigger on one side than the other. really all I want to know is , do i need to put it in before or after I hone? Ive heard before so thats why I ask. Also do the larger oil holes go towards the flywheel or timing belt? thanks.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16a6 vitara/scat built , How do I install block guard?

You should have the shop install it before it gets machined. They will know the direction.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would hope the blockguard has no holes considering where it goes, in the water passage. I wouldnt personally use it, it will more than likely cause overheating problems.

As planb said you should put it in before any kind of machine work
Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

block guards need to have holes, most honda motors are open deck, so the coolant is running outside the sleeves. block guards suck at allwoing proper coolant. Id skip the block guard completely, sell it, and either leave teh block alone, or get it block posted.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by mattliston
block guards need to have holes, most honda motors are open deck, so the coolant is running outside the sleeves. block guards suck at allwoing proper coolant. Id skip the block guard completely, sell it, and either leave teh block alone, or get it block posted.
Thanks bud. I figured I just wouldnt use the damn thing . Anyone know where to buy a good bit for a dremel that will help me knotch my girdle quicker? I used a die grinder for my block notch but I dont have my air compressor anymore so I have to A. hand file or B. use a dremel.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i done this in my build (minus the block guard, i honestly wouldnt use it. It just restricts coolant flow and could lead to over heating/warpage. Not many people use them anyways) I used a die grinder with carbon bit when i knotched my girdle. That still took a while, couldnt imagine using a dremel (no torque for stuff like that). Best bet is to borrow a compressor or buy one of those small ones from lowes for cheap. or check you local craigslist for a cheap one
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by z6hatchboy
i done this in my build (minus the block guard, i honestly wouldnt use it. It just restricts coolant flow and could lead to over heating/warpage. Not many people use them anyways) I used a die grinder with carbon bit when i knotched my girdle. That still took a while, couldnt imagine using a dremel (no torque for stuff like that). Best bet is to borrow a compressor or buy one of those small ones from lowes for cheap. or check you local craigslist for a cheap one
sounds good I work at a dealership I might just see if I cant barrow an ai compressor from here. Thanks for the quick response guys , you'd think turbod16.com would be helpful but its not at all when you needa post something , I mean its great for research n stuff but noone is ever on it.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VEYBEYB
sounds good I work at a dealership I might just see if I cant barrow an ai compressor from here. Thanks for the quick response guys , you'd think turbod16.com would be helpful but its not at all when you needa post something , I mean its great for research n stuff but noone is ever on it.
people are on there but not as many as are on here. I have a D16Y8 Block Vitara/Scat/Clevite Build and I wouldnt waste your time with a block guard. They cause alot more problems than they are worth.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Jimster480
people are on there but not as many as are on here. I have a D16Y8 Block Vitara/Scat/Clevite Build and I wouldnt waste your time with a block guard. They cause alot more problems than they are worth.
mines an A6 going in my rustbucket CRX , next I get to learn how to weld body panels.... yay... lol

anyways I got one more question my DD is a 95 civic , auto , DX ,

never recharged an AC before , I know I know I can pull a motor and build one but never charged an AC? lol

Any tips ?> I heard I dont wanna do it myself cuz frion is deadly but i have a feeling thats just because they want me to pay 50$ for a charge. any tips on this? my ac comes on , the little light comes on , the car blows air good , just not cold. sometimes my car revvs up and down with it on so I am not sure a recahrge is the only problem but any tips for this? I am going to try it after work.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VEYBEYB
mines an A6 going in my rustbucket CRX , next I get to learn how to weld body panels.... yay... lol

anyways I got one more question my DD is a 95 civic , auto , DX ,

never recharged an AC before , I know I know I can pull a motor and build one but never charged an AC? lol

Any tips ?> I heard I dont wanna do it myself cuz frion is deadly but i have a feeling thats just because they want me to pay 50$ for a charge. any tips on this? my ac comes on , the little light comes on , the car blows air good , just not cold. sometimes my car revvs up and down with it on so I am not sure a recahrge is the only problem but any tips for this? I am going to try it after work.
they are stupid. Freon isnt even used anymore. Go get yourself a can of whatever your car takes from like autozone or advanced auto if thats around there and get a dispenser and put it in. There is really nothing to it lol.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine builder I used explained this quite clearly, and makes sense to me. block guards work well when installed properly. First, it needs to be fitted properly. Clearances on all sides must be equal and shouldn't be welded in.

The guard also needs to be set before honing, deck level should be checked, and when honing, a torque plate should be used to simulate the pressure that the head bolts have on the block. This way when you hone, all cylinders are straight as possible without warping.

My block guard does not cause any over-heating issues. Oil temps are right around 180-200.