Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16 with sputter??

Old 07-09-2019, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 with sputter??

I have a d16 that will not run right. I have changed distributor, wires, plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter and still this engine doesn't want to run right. The timing is set correctly. I have ran just about every type of fuel you can imagine through it...Non-ethanol 87, 93 and ethanol 87, 93 nothing will make it run smoothly. It has an AEM cold air intake, 4 into 1 header and full exhaust. I am about ready to pull it out and run a K swap if I can't fix this issue. When I put it under a load it acts like it wants to spit and sputter unless I hold it wide open. Hell that is the only time it runs right is when I hold it wide open. I just want it to run smoothly again. What would you do?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: D16 with sputter??

Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
I have a d16 that will not run right. I have changed distributor, wires, plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter and still this engine doesn't want to run right. The timing is set correctly. I have ran just about every type of fuel you can imagine through it...Non-ethanol 87, 93 and ethanol 87, 93 nothing will make it run smoothly. It has an AEM cold air intake, 4 into 1 header and full exhaust. I am about ready to pull it out and run a K swap if I can't fix this issue. When I put it under a load it acts like it wants to spit and sputter unless I hold it wide open. Hell that is the only time it runs right is when I hold it wide open. I just want it to run smoothly again. What would you do?
Post the CEL codes.

What specific car and engine?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for a loose ground, especially on the thermostat.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

MAP sensor issue ???
Old 07-10-2019, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is a 96 Honda Civic Dx with a JDM Non-Vtec ZC or D16a. It starts right up runs nice until it gets some temp into it. That is when the stutter starts. Usually when I am cruising at highway speeds at a steady throttle. It doesn't like it when I am maintaining a steady throttle or speed. It bucks until I give it more gas which is usually full throttle.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
The car is a 96 Honda Civic Dx with a JDM Non-Vtec ZC or D16a. It starts right up runs nice until it gets some temp into it. That is when the stutter starts. Usually when I am cruising at highway speeds at a steady throttle. It doesn't like it when I am maintaining a steady throttle or speed.
CEL codes?

Does the problem go away if you unplug the O2 sensor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: