Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 Overheating

My EG coupe with stock D16 was overheating hardcore last night out of nowhere. Never had a problem with this before. Smoke even started to come out of the hood and exhaust! Upon inspection, some parts inside including my AEM intake had fluid sprayed on them, probably water (which would lead me to think that the problem is with the radiator).

I've heard that I should check the thermostat first, anyone know how I should go about doing this?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 Overheating (yamahama)

first things first.. DONT DRIVE THE CAR!!! you ruin the motor! check all the hoses and clamps.. if there is any sign of damage or wear replace them.. also check the cap on the rad.. if the seals are again look damaged in any way replace it.. hoses and the cap are cheap.. check the hose clapms.. if they are old they wont tighten down enough.. if its not the hoses or clapms or the rad cap..then check the thermostat, on the d16 its kinda hard to get to.. its located under the intake next almost next to the starter.. follow the bottom hose on the rad to where it connects to the motor.. that is where the thermo is.. remove the hose( drain rad first- or you will have a mess) then there will be two bolts holding the gooseneck on.. remove them and then remove the gooseneck.. the thermo shoul fall right out of the fitting, if not just give it a tug it will come out easily. be carefull not to damage the seal on the gooseneck, if its in LIKE NEW conditoin you can reuse it but its a good idea to change it,

check the thermo for any visuale signs of damage if none then test it...
the easiest way to test it is boil a pot of water and drop it in.. if its working it will pop open you will see it happen. if not then replace it.. again its not expensive under twenty bucks, pick up a new seal while your out..

if it is working and none of the hoses clamps or the rad cap are damaged then you might have a bad water pump. the only way to really check it is to remove it.. unfortunately it on the front of the motor where the timing belt is, i wont get into that.. if you can do mechanical work your not gonna have to spend too much just a pump and a timing belt.. to get it done the honda dealer ship will want about 500 bucks to replace it if not more... GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 Overheating (Trailz-EX)

also be sure to check the rad it self, if its an older car check to rock damage cracks curotion(?) look t see if its visibly leaking, replace it if it is.. even if its not leaking it might be clogged not not letting air through to cool it or it might not even be letting water through..
also.. if you decide to doit yourself pick up a manual for the car hanes or something like that(if you dont already have one) goto the parts store and look for your model car and year the book will tell you how to rip the car apart and put it back together in very good detail.. again good luck let me know what you find
Old 04-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 Overheating (Trailz-EX)

also, check to see what codes you are throwing..

My d16 was overheating like yours like 4 weeks ago. I replaced the thermostat, but my motor was still over heating. I discovered that my coolant was leaking from a heater hose that had a rip in it. I replaced the hose..and no leakage good luck on your car