Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D16 buildup Questions. Problems with Mains bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 buildup Questions. Problems with Mains bearings.

Hey, first off Im rebuilding an A6 bottom end with Z6head. Right now im getting ready to assemble the bottom end. My first problem is that my block has no Letters on it to match with the Crank to get bearings colors. Second the bearings that were in the block dont have a Color stamped anywhere on there either..

So what to do. I removed a set of Mains and the code is Stamped PH3 SOL. Im thinking the SOL part is about right Lol. The other funny part is ALL of the bearings are stamped the same code PH3 SOL. I thought this cant be right because hondas need different clearances.

I skipped down to the 'ol honda dealer and he was sure these Mains were aftermarket, However the PH3 sounds really familiar. He then realized the mains are from Civic Si and Some older prelude models.

Next I Plasti-gauged the stock bearings just to make sure and all but the 3rd (middle) bearing were in spec. And even the third was only off by .0004 So its not much but still. I really dont feel like buying all the colors of bearings and trying them all because it will cost me a fortune. Any suggestions or help? this is a wierd wierd problem. THe stock bearings or aftermarket whatever they are, all are in good shape. But Ive heard never to re-use bearings... Help me out guys! lol

P.S. My block is stamped USA on it, I thought all Civic, CRX Si's were made in japan?! Wierd.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 buildup Questions. Problems with Mains bearings. (Darkane)

just bring it to a machine shop and pay them like 50 bucks to put it together
Old 10-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: D16 buildup Questions. Problems with Mains bearings. (LilCivic04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LilCivic04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just bring it to a machine shop and pay them like 50 bucks to put it together</TD></TR></TABLE>
-dont listen to him.......
-you wont learn shiet taking it to a machine shop.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 buildup Questions. Problems with Mains bearings. (LilCivic04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LilCivic04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just bring it to a machine shop and pay them like 50 bucks to put it together</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha take the easy why huh? No if you understood what I wrote the Bearings in the engine Already Are slightly too TIGHT. I bet anything the person before me ( I got the block for free) Got it rebuilt and the lazy mahcinist just put it together.. I dont trust people putting things together for me. You maybe, go for it But not me. anyway lets see if we can figure this out.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 10-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Where are you looking for the stamping on the block to verify bearing codes?

I'm going to help you - let me do some quick looking in the actual Honda 1990 Civic repair manual...

I'll be back.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 2:28 PM 10/25/2005
Old 10-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 buildup Questions. Problems with Mains bearings. (B18C5-EH2)

lol &lt;arnold&gt; I'll be back &lt;arnold&gt; As for the bearings where you going with oem? or something like acl?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 buildup Questions. Problems with Mains bearings. (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Darkane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But Ive heard never to re-use bearings... Help me out guys! lol
</TD></TR></TABLE>
correct.. but y did you have to disassemble the block in the first place? what got you to think they where too tight?

if worst comes to worst and you absolutely cant figure out what set goes in, have the crank micropolished to a certain size so you can be sure what size every lobe now is... AND for future reference. when the machinist is done, he'll give you the exact size of the bearings that will now fit that crank.