Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d15z1 mini me head ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d15z1 mini me head ?

Let me start by saying I seached:

There's plenty of d16 with z6 head threads but nothing really came up when looking for a d16y7 block with a d15z1 head. A friend has a good d15z1 head that's next to nothing on price. With the zealautowerkz compression calculator it says that setup will have ~ 11.70:1 to 12.20:1 compression ratio.
I know if it gives a black screen, compression is too low, if it give a red screen, compression is to high... I'm gonna have to search and see what a yellow screen means.

Guess the main question is, has anyone ran this setup or known someone who has? Did they have any clearence issues using the y7 block and internals with a d15z1 head?

Not looking to boost this car. Just a nice nice breathing n/a daily driver with a little get up-n-go

*back to searching =-)*
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the d15z1 head is not for performance.. you could lose power
Old 04-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

I'll keep that in mind as I research some more. Common car logic just lead to the initial thought that you build more power with higher compression for an n/a setup.

I also noticed that the z1 combustion chambers are smaller (hence the greater compression).

I thank you for you input =-) Tryin to see if anyone else has ran the setup and what the results were.

With a z head would put it around 11.2:1 comp ratio which would be acceptiable for nitrous use if the stock internals can handle a small 50 or 75 shot(with proper tuning)
Old 04-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TorturedSol)

You will lose power. If anything swap a vtec head on and a y8 mani, then you'll be happy.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast88std)

Alright, that pretty much confirms that theory then.

On a good note:
Looked at my wiring harness and checked it with my Haynes wiring diagrams and the car is pre-wired for vtec
Gotta run the numbers off my ecu and search them to see if it will do vtec. Hopefully so as that will be one less thing I have to buy
Old 04-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (fast88std)

yeah, it is possible and it COULD work. But if you're just trying to piece together a motor for cheap. You may spend less on the hardware, but you will spend more on the software to get the thing running properly. that high of compression will need special tuning. but then the ports are small and the valves are small and the cam isn't optimized for high rpm range. you will also need to have a special vtec controller to engage vtec at ~2800 because vtec-e functions different from vtec. But even after all that special tuning/configuration, the small ports/valves cam will limit you from making any power. It would be much easier and much less of a headache for you to just use a non-vtec y7 head. the y7 head has larger valves like the z6/y5/y8 head.

Don't get me wrong, I am going ***** to the wall with my vtec-e project, but it's with a d16y5 head. The choice is ultimately up to you, however I think that you will change your mind once you get further into it because of all the headaches
Old 04-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

Ahh,
The previous owner of the car already had a JDM d16y7 installed. There's a thread that go moved to the a/c section but I can't post there (trail thing) but it has the story on all that.
A friend built up his B-series running 12.3:1 comp ratio and a couple thousand later he was putting down 260 at the wheel n/a. But that's a b-series, not tryin to go that route if ya know what I mean.
I've still got access to a z6 head if the f'er would ever answer his damned phone, tryin to get this project rollin here in the next 2 weeks (tax return w00t).
Swapping out trannys and the head at the same time, good weekend project, not tryin to jump into it blind and all thanks for the help guys
Old 04-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (TorturedSol)

You're wasting your time trying to build a d-series...trust me. Just turbo it and be done.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're wasting your time trying to build a d-series...trust me. Just turbo it and be done.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you gotta remember, a lot of these d-series guys don't necessarily care about making big power, they are just having fun taking part of the build and are hungry to learn. at least that's how it is for me
Old 04-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you gotta remember, a lot of these d-series guys don't necessarily care about making big power, they are just having fun taking part of the build and are hungry to learn. at least that's how it is for me </TD></TR></TABLE>

They won't be having fun when they do a transmission swap, a head swap, I/H/E, cam gear, stage 2 cam, and tuning and are still running 16's. Neither will you.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:26 PM
RIP ILL: 26Jan1945-02Feb2017 -&- JLVK: 14Jun1925-13Dec2016

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They won't be having fun when they do a transmission swap, a head swap, I/H/E, cam gear, stage 2 cam, and tuning and are still running 16's. Neither will you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
dustin, i think it would probably help if you mentioned that you've done this stuff yourself before, and that's why you're turbo'ed now.

(btw, did you see the vid of one of your runs that i posted?)
Old 04-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They won't be having fun when they do a transmission swap, a head swap, I/H/E, cam gear, stage 2 cam, and tuning and are still running 16's. Neither will you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just because you yourself had bad results, doesn't mean that you need to be bitter towards everyone else that is intrigued by tuning. I understand where you're coming from and your frustration, however you gotta realize the contradiction. You yourself posted a huge howto on the z6 mini-me. Yet now you're the one who talks the most trash about it. You yourself said that it may have been a little too much spent, however you got a 100,000 mile tune-up out of the whole ordeal.
Now I am not trying to just start a stupid petty argument with an admin, I'm just saying that there are certain lessons that each of us need to learn ourselves. In the grand scheme of things, nothing that we do to our cars to make them faster (straight-line, cornering, braking, etc.) really matters. But it is a hobby for most of us, a way to pass time and have fun.
I'm not taking sides with the y7 block / z1 head idea, because I think that it's just a waste of time. But for people like me (i'm sure you've seen my project page) it's just about having fun and seeing what can come out of it.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just because you yourself had bad results, doesn't mean that you need to be bitter towards everyone else that is intrigued by tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want them to learn from my mistake.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You yourself posted a huge howto on the z6 mini-me. Yet now you're the one who talks the most trash about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because it sucks. Yeah, I was impressed with it by then. I gained about a half second in the quarter and that was enough to impress me. But, I remember throwing the turbo kit on and the car feeling like a rocket right out of the box. It was a much better investment.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the grand scheme of things, nothing that we do to our cars to make them faster (straight-line, cornering, braking, etc.) really matters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you on something? If it didn't matter we wouldn't do it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not taking sides with the y7 block / z1 head idea, because I think that it's just a waste of time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I said...so what are you trying to argu...nevermind.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But for people like me (i'm sure you've seen my project page) it's just about having fun and seeing what can come out of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are a rare exception. I appreciate the work you're doing and have a lot of respect for it, but trying to say the majority of wannabe mini-me'ers on Honda-Tech aren't doing it to go faster is like saying women get botox injections because it feels good.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are a rare exception. I appreciate the work you're doing and have a lot of respect for it, but trying to say the majority of wannabe mini-me'ers on Honda-Tech aren't doing it to go faster is like saying women get botox injections because it feels good.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I guess I just always assume people have the same approach that I do, because it's just natural for me.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I guess I just always assume people have the same approach that I do, because it's just natural for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i will be dooin a teardown-N/A bioldup of my own d15z1...to make sure im ready for mechanic's courses next year.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i will be dooin a teardown-N/A bioldup of my own d15z1...to make sure im ready for mechanic's courses next year.</TD></TR></TABLE>
For the love of god, please use some 02-05 gx pistons. Nobody will do this. I want to try it out, but I don't have the time + funds to try every d15z1/d16b5/d16y5 combination.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a d16y7 and i wanted to bust a mini me swap but i dont know what i need?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha 16's thats sad.. i ran a 15.15 in the quarter.. stock internal z6.. all i had was a cai exhaust and a y8 manifold.. stage 2 clutch ex transmission and a b16 tuned ecu with a governer at 9k and i shifted it at 8800 all the time...

if someone has all that work done and is only getting 16's i can just say someone does not know how to ******* drive.. ****.. ive seen b20 vtec civics hit 14.8's at the same time im running 15.1's it doesnt matter.. the main reason i stay single cam.. its hella cheap to replace.. ive been through 7 motors and spent less then a b16 swap still

it all depends on the person.. some people dont need to be all out im mr fast guy.. most of us just build to have fun and have respect for our **** and the hard work we put into our cars not because we have a d series and the guy next to me is making 30 more hp with his b series.. motors dont matter.. its all about having fun and people need to realize that and get this oh u have to have a b series or be turbo'd or u wont be accepted **** outta their ***
Old 04-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive been through 7 motors</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gee I wonder why?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock internal z6.. all i had was a cai exhaust and a y8 manifold.. stage 2 clutch ex transmission and a b16 tuned ecu with a governer at 9k and i shifted it at 8800 all the time...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i highly doubt this combo will even work, the pistons will be kissing the valves when you try to crank it.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gee I wonder why?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually.. the only reason that motor blew up was because i drove home in the rain from the track after paying 20 bucks to get one run with the cold air intake on... that motor was very strong.. lasted me a year and i shifted at 8800 daily

the las 4 motors was the cai.. the first one cx= ****.. 2nd one headgasket 3456 cai now im on my 7th one wich is the d15z1 vtec e.. and its actually pretty quick.. faster than a dx hatchie but im building a motor now sohc vtec 12:1 crower 3
Old 04-10-2006, 07:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now im on my 7th one wich is the d15z1 vtec e.. and its actually pretty quick.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're kidding, right?

Im saving for a d16z now, going to mild build it(P&P, pistons,rods,cam,intake mani) and turbo it this summer. &lt;---Hopefully get it done.

Then over next winter, Ima build this **** outa my d15z(200k, good compression) and just turbo this **** out of it next summer, till it either blows....or I get bored. Even if Im running 15 sec 1/4 I wont care...Im going to keep the lame *** tranny thats stock, and just make it a highway deathride.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hondaciv95VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondaciv95VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're kidding, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no im not kidding 2 years 7 motors... starting from the first one that came in the car
Old 04-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Go Tigers!

*yawns