Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B7 Starter removal help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B7 Starter removal help

In the process of changing the timing belt, let me first say I tried every single trick on the internet to break that crank pulley bolt free, only thing that worked was 3/4" impact, now I need a new starter. The engine has lots of oxidation on it so everything has been coming apart difficult. Also finding broken tabs and such (like on the timing belt cover) from previous owner.

Tried using the search tool, no luck.... So here's my question:

How do you break the starter motor free from the engine? Im talking about the "body" (holds the motor and the solenoid) which is married to the side of the engine.

I removed the two main bolts of the "body" thinking it would basically fall off the side of the engine, no luck. Tried using a little force but the way things have been going I don't want to break something else that doesn't need replacing...Ended up (for those who are curious) also removing the two skinny bolts that hold the starter itself to the body, so I got the starter itself out but the solenoid is still attached to the body which is still attached to the side of the engine.

When you buy a new starter it comes with the body, the starter and the solenoid correct??? Feels like I am missing a bolt somewhere but can't find it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Re: D15B7 Starter removal help

Long extension and breaker bar will do the trick. Make sure to use 6-point sockets instead of 12-point. 12-point sockets have a tendency to ream the sides of the bolts.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 77chev7777

How do you break the starter motor free from the engine? Im talking about the "body" (holds the motor and the solenoid) which is married to the side of the engine.

Use a hammer or something to tap at the starter motor. Light taps to induce vibration should loosen it up.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@nvturbo and axis11: Both things Im aware of, thanks guys. I began (before I posted) to drive a big flathead between the block and the starter body, hoping to split them....I didnt use "all my might" But thought I gave it enough force to split them apart.....So am I missing a bolt somewhere...Its just 2 bolts right? If this is the case I will try more force..Like i said before, don't wanna break anything else that doesn't need replacing.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@nvturbo and axis11: Both things Im aware of, thanks guys. I began (before I posted) to drive a big flathead between the block and the starter body, hoping to split them....I didnt use "all my might" But thought I gave it enough force to split them apart.....So am I missing a bolt somewhere...Its just 2 bolts right? If this is the case I will try more force..Like i said before, don't wanna break anything else that doesn't need replacing.
I've never had issues with starter bolts... and the starter shouldn't require any force to take out... you remove the power wire... pull the starter signal wire... take the two bolts out (one is pretty long) and starter almost falls out on its own
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@civic2fast: I don't wanna ramble on because this should be pretty simple, but I just wanna clarify its not the BOLTS im having trouble with, but like you said the starter should fall off practically on its own..which it is not. The only thing I didnt do was undo any of the wiring (Because I disconnected the battery)...We both agree that force shouldn't be necessary to split the starter from the motor.

Its only 2 bolts right?? Is there some reason why it is absolutely nescessary to remove the wiring before the starter will fall off?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

You need to remove the power wire and starter wire prior to removing the starter. If you don't remove the power wire and it happens to ground itself to metal, it will arch and blow the fuse in the underhood fusebox.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
You need to remove the power wire and starter wire prior to removing the starter. If you don't remove the power wire and it happens to ground itself to metal, it will arch and blow the fuse in the underhood fusebox.
He disconnected the battery, so that wont happen... I just take them off first because it's easier to break the nut loose when the starter is still attached... and I pull the starter signal because if for some reason the starter drops with it attached, it will tear the wiring out of the connector... some harnesses don't have enough spare wire to crimp on a new one.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Two answer your question, yes there are only 2 bolts, one about two inches long, the other one is more like 6 inches or so.

When you buy a starter this is what you get:

Please excuse my crappy picture.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@94eg8 Well the unit Im looking at looks like this: (also the unit im trying to remove) The two bolts you are talking about hold on the image I posted

the image you posted (the green thing in my image) is what I removed by taking the two long skinny bolts out (not the same ones im talking about above) you can see in your image, above and below the starter. And yes it did come right off. Are we on the same page now? why wont the rest of it come off. (I also removed two larger bolts--the ones i believed held the entire unit against the engine...and that screw you can see dead center between the starter and solenoid in the pic) Do i need to split it from the motor

(this image came off ebay so this is what im expecting to get in the mail...The starter and the solenoid and the body that holds the two together ((the thing that wont come off the car that you guys are saying is held on by two bolts -- the picture below)) so this is why it needs to come off because this is what is going to show up in the mail....not Just the starter like the image you posted) OR am I misssing something here??
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

[quote=77chev7777;46973129]@94eg8 Well the unit Im looking at looks like this: (also the unit im trying to remove) The two bolts you are talking about hold on the image I posted

the image you posted (the green thing in my image) is what I removed by taking the two long skinny bolts out (not the same ones im talking about above) you can see in your image, above and below the starter. And yes it did come right off. Are we on the same page now?
I get what you're saying, although there's no need to remove those two long skinny bolts. I'd put the starter back together so you have something to grab on on two, once you remove the two bolts the hold the whole assembly to the transmission you should simply be able to grab the back of the starter and pull up on it to get it to break free from the bell housing. I know you mentioned corrosion, and I know they do stick a little sometimes, but I live in new brunswick, Canada, which isn't that far from you, with similar conditions and I can't say I've ever had much trouble removing one of those starters. Btw, the reason the one I posted looks a bit different is it's upside down in the pic, and it's for an automatic, it mounts basically the same though.

why wont the rest of it come off. (I also removed two larger bolts--the ones i believed held the entire unit against the engine...and that screw you can see dead center between the starter and solenoid in the pic) Do i need to split it from the motor
Like I said if you put it back together you might have an easier time removing it from the transmission. You can try giving it a few light taps with a hammer where it mates to the transmission and see if that helps.

(this image came off ebay so this is what im expecting to get in the mail...The starter and the solenoid and the body that holds the two together ((the thing that wont come off the car that you guys are saying is held on by two bolts -- the picture below)) so this is why it needs to come off because this is what is going to show up in the mail....not Just the starter like the image you posted) OR am I misssing something here??
First, good choice on the starter, a nice clean, low mileage OEM starter will probably outlast a new aftermarket unit. The factory starters don't go bad all that often. Secondly you might be missing something, that's a slightly different starter, but it mounts exactly the same way. It really should come right off after removing those two bolts (both have a 14mm head) All I can really say is either you didn't remove the right bolts or you need to use a little more force.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The first time I removed my starter, i had to use the hammers wooden handle
to shake it loose. It was tight but might not be as tight as yours. Corrosion/oxidation was the only reason I could see that could have caused the starter to get tight. Try putting some penetrating oil and let it sit for a while. Hit with a hammer on the side of the empty bolt hole perpendicular to the axis of the bolt hole.. The objective is to induce a torque impulse on the contacting surfaces to shear whatever is holding them.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx a lot guys apparently I need to use more force. And thanx for clearing things up, always helps to know everyones on the same page.

@94EG8 New Brunswick eh? Im about 5 minutes from the border, in Presque Isle...haha small world. Thanks again man for the help.

Actually what got me in this whole mess was trying to get that ****er out to jam up the flywheel...And what I ended up doing in the long run..which i should have done initially..Is break that crank nut free with impact..A little FYI to anyone who is planning this procedure. Anyways Because I removed those two long skinny bolts the starter split into 3 pieces and now some of the internals are not attached (one of the copper leads that goes to one of the four pickups in the back on the inside of the starter housing) So Im assuming it is garbage now.....Not positive maybe someone has some input on this?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can put everything back once you get the starter out. For now, put things together so you will have something to grab on. Sometimes its just the solenoid getting stuck and cleaning/lubricating will make it work again.