Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15b7 Is giving me hell!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15b7 Is giving me hell!

So first off i had a ls with a gsr trans in my eg hatch but the head started to mess up, so i pulled it out and went a bought a full d15b7 swap to drop in. I got the old swap out and put the new one in minus the axles, i went to start it and nothing just the starter spins and it turns over but it wont start. So i thought it could be the dizzy so i had it checked it was fine so its not that. Next i thought i wasn't getting any fuel so i checked my fuel pump its fine. So i checked the main relay by putting one out of a running car in mine still wouldn't start. I was thinking the only thing it could be is the compression, so i went to autozone and rented a compression tester and i got 0 compression!! Thats when i thought the timing must be off so i re did the timing like 3 times just to triple check, after all of that i tried the compression test again still 0 i dont know what could be the problem im so lost/done just about to go scrap my eg.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: D15b7 Is giving me hell!

Originally Posted by Hatch_Kid
...it turns over but it wont start.
Technically that means the same thing. Cranking means the engine is in fact spinning, turns over means it actually started and is running.

If after all of that you have 0 compression, you're very last resort(s) are to verify that the valve lash is set properly on all valves and try again, then try to see if a little oil will help in the combustion chamber. If nothing changes, chances are very good that you have bent valves or superdooper worn cylinder walls/rings.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If after all of that you have 0 compression, you're very last resort(s) are to verify that the valve lash is set properly on all valves and try again, then try to see if a little oil will help in the combustion chamber. If nothing changes, chances are very good that you have bent valves or superdooper worn cylinder walls/rings.[/QUOTE]

So tomorrow im going to pull the head off and try to see whats wrong. Hopefully it works
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the engine verified working or just yank it off a pick n pull car? And, yea, make sure your valve lash isn't pinched. If you or the previous owner didn't adjust the valves after putting the head back on, they could be pinched shut. Even if you didn't disturb the adjustment locknuts. Happened to me once.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excessive valve lash wouldn't likely yield a 0 psi compression test across all 4 cylinders. Not busting your ***** here Hatch Kid, but have you done a compression test before?

Post some pictures of your cam and crank timing marks. By crank I mean the mark on the timing pulley compared to the one on the oil pump. Something has to be extremely off... Either that or you had it timed in wrong when you first tried starting it and really did a number on your valves but I'd imagine you'd know. Maybe there is a reason that d15 swap was for sale after all?

If nothing else, Put it back together as it sits and take a video of you trying to start it as well as a quick bit of footage of your swap job. Post it up here. I'm sure we'll get it figured out.