Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B7 Engine cutting out. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B7 Engine cutting out. Please help

I have had this problem for a long time and it's only getting worse. The engine sometimes acts like it's losing a cylinder. Seems to happen the most when you first start the car... I'll try to accelerate and all of a sudden lose power. Engine never actually dies, it just starts running bad for a few seconds and then goes back to normal. After the car is fully warmed up it won't do it however in warm weather I'll have a weird exhaust pop during normal idle. Also weather seems to affect it, it's more frequent during warm weather.
Originally, I thought it was the FITV but I have cleaned that and it still did it. Spark plugs are fairly new and injector cleaner didn't help.
Engine is stock except for cold air intake and a stainless steel muffler
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B7 Engine cutting out. Please help (wheelmanbg)

the reason this happens more in warm weather is because when it is cold your engine is idling higher and running more lean to compensate and warm up to operating temp, therefore your getting just a slight power boost. there are a few things to check. I actually just finished fighting this on my d15b7. first off, injector cleaner doesn't help. make sure you have good plugs (you already checked), and good wires. check your injectors. to do this take an automotive stethoscope or a screwdriver and touch it to the top of the injector. put your ear on the screwdriver and listen for a clicking noise. make sure you iacv is clean. it's probably not the cat or else you'd be bogging down when you drive. also, make sure all your grounds are good and clean.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B7 Engine cutting out. Please help (austinkli)

Thanks, I appreciate the response
I'll start with new wires and clean the IACV and go from there. If that doesn't work, I'll keep replacing parts until it's fixed
Old 03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the more i read your post the more i am thinking iacv. probably not the injectors or wires or else you'd have the problem all the time. don't just start randomly replacing parts that might be it. you go buy a set of ngk wires and thats at least $60 you won't get back right there that you may or may not have needed. clean the iacv since that's just work, not money. check the injectors anyway since it takes a screwdriver and 30 seconds of time. also, double check and triple check your firing order homie. test your wires. unplug one wire at a time putting each one back after while the car runs. each one should drop the idle to almost shutting off. if one doesn't droip the idle, or it drops it less than the other 3, it is probably bad or going bad. gl
Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B7 Engine cutting out. Please help (austinkli)

yeah, I'm gonna start with cleaning the IACV and maybe the FITV since it has been a little while since I cleaned it.
I'm gonna try to do that tonight and see what happens. I'll post it up
Old 03-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, I cleaned the IACV and it helped a little bit but it didn't solve my problem so I'll have to keep trying stuff
any other suggestions?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

iacv and fit is not going to take away alot of power, it can affect idle high idle low idle and stalling, but if you are having a power loss while drivign problem i d start leaning towards other things

get all the tune up stuff out of the way, plugs/wire/cap/rotor (expecially rotor) and check the injectors just like someone said..
does it do it when u are very little throttle or mostly full-3/4 throttle, if its only in the higher throttle it could be a fuel issue, clogged fuel filter, or faulty injector, if its an injector its only goign to get worse, do you have a cel, (check engine light) on?
what year car, 92-95?

a little more info and ill work ya thru it
email nasteboyii19943@Yahoo.com
or aol im nasteboyii

good luck
dan
Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B7 Engine cutting out. Please help (nasteboyii)

I'm going to do the plugs/wires/cap/rotor because they are getting old anyways but I'm not quite conviced that any of those are my problem

It does it when I'm at light throttle and only does it for 1,2,3 seconds during warm up. It's hard to pin point because of how quickly it goes away but it seems like if I give it full throttle, it goes away. Only does it during normal acceleration. It almost feels like something is sticking and once it works loose, everything is normal.
Fuel filter is less than a year old, no CELs, car is a 95 DX Coupe with the stock D15B7 with CAI and a SS muffler

Thanks for your help