Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B2 Power Loss After Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B2 Power Loss After Service

Hello Honda Brothers,

Here's the story of my power loss - When i bought the car, the engine was very aggresive and it felt really strong throughout the rev range. So I was servicing the car, all the usual filters, sparks, engine flush & fresh oil. So i took off the air filter and started her up, gave her a good rev, reved up really smoothly and quickly with no filter, so i put it all back together and took her for a drive.

It bogs out under wot and doesnt pull as hard as before, until i hit 3500rpm. I never changed the Air Filter - until after this prob appeared - the air filter was black and clogged badly so i changed this to no avail. Im thinking that the problem may be due to fuel/air ratio - as when i bought the car it was really quick with the clogged air filter - so it would be getting slightly more fuel than air. But surely the ecu would adjust for this to maintain optimum 14:1 fuel to air ratio. So on to my next thought Timing Belt may have jumped a tooth when i revved it without filter! when i try to adjust the timing i cannot make the timing mark go too far to the left, whereas as i can advance the timing alot. PS Is the timing mark supposed to stay absolutely stationery when adjusting, as mine slighltly goes back and forth! Is this normal??? Also when i try to apply the throttle while rolling the car jerks - could this be TPS?

Milage: 122,000
Compression Test: Not done yet (buying tester soon)
Oil Consumption: Bit high (consumes a lot of oil for a honda)
CEL: None ( But when i try to check for codes all i get is a solid light - does this mean the ecu is damaged?)

I want to resolve this problem as i have parts for DPFI swap except the ecu, can i do a MPFI swap by keeping to OBD0 and doing the neccessary harness adjustments - My donor car was a Rover 216Sli with D16B2 engine, i have Inlet Manifold with fuel rail and injectors, distriutor, injector resistor box. would the ecu out of the Rover be ok to use??

Any comments appreciated.