Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d15b stage 3 vtec obd2 into 94 eg obd1

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d15b stage 3 vtec obd2 into 94 eg obd1

can someone help in this swap with all info i will need, thank you also you can email me at kennynlisa@msn., same username for msn messenger
Old 01-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: d15b stage 3 vtec obd2 into 94 eg obd1 (CivicLxFL)

do you have the motor already?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

it's more trouble than it's worth.

and i don't even know if it's possible. you'd have to talk to a very very very good tuner and pay him lots of money to try to get this to work with obd1 or convert your whole car to obd2 and find the correct 3stage ecu.

most d15b's aren't 3stage anyways.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM

im buying the whole jdm swap including the obd2 ecu
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is possible, but you have to be pretty damn smart, and know what the hell you are doing, basically, if you have to ask how to do it, its pointless, just drop it in and run the second solenoid.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicLxFL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can someone help in this swap with all info i will need, thank you also you can email me at kennynlisa@msn., same username for msn messenger</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're not going to even bother checking the post for replies why should people waste their time answering? Don't you find that is kind of rude?

In any event.

First off, the JDM D15b is not stage 3 VTEC. So it's OBD-II, and you want to put it into an OBD-I car. As far as physically putting it in - everything will bolt right in. You can use the same D-series axles and mounts, hell, you can even use the transmission.

Though the wiring will require some alterations.

Rip out the cabin and engine harness, and replace them with OBD-II harnesses, everything will plug right up, problem solved.

That is probably a day or two's worth of a work. You should remove the dash when you do it. Seriously, changing the harness is your best bet - I don't even think they make an OBD-I to OBD-IIa conversion harness.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM

i know how to do engine swaps is ecu that im devating on either to use the obd1 ecu or buy a jumper harness to use the obd2 ecu thats for the engine and if im getting the harness am i getting check engine light
Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM

that engine wil not give you profomance
Old 01-12-2007, 05:12 PM

they sell the obd1 to obd2a jumper harness
http://www.boomslang.us/obd1to2.htm
and for your info am checking the post
Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 PM

right now i have an 94 eg auto tranny is going bad, im just looking for some performance and economy drive 30 miles both way from home to work and vice versa
Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM

ive researched and found that a jdm d15 vtec and jdm d15 stage 3 vtec have same hp output 130, stage 3 vtec redline around 8000 rpms
Old 01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicLxFL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive researched and found that a jdm d15 vtec and jdm d15 stage 3 vtec have same hp output 130, stage 3 vtec redline around 8000 rpms
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Redline at 8000?

Keep it there for a bit, let us know how it works out.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know why the hell syndacate said swap the harness but SIMPLY DONT.

i could walk you through the complete process of getting this thing to run the CORRECT way, but after all that you wouldnt do it right anyways, so i wont waste my time, basically, JUST RUN NORMAL VTEC, DONT WORRY ABOUT THE LEAN BURN OR 12 VALVE MODE. IM YELLING CUZ I HAVE SEEN THE SAME THREAD TOO MANY TIMES AND NOBODY EVER ANSWERS, KNOW WHY, CUZ NOBODY WILL EVER DO IT RIGHT, SO WHY WASTE THE TIME EXPLAINING HOW.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: d15b stage 3 vtec obd2 into 94 eg obd1 (Syndacate)

info on the jdm d15b stage 3 vtec

3-stage VTEC
Examine the SOHC VTEC and SOHC VTEC-E implementations. The clever Honda engineers saw that it is a logical step to merge the two implementations into one. This is in essence the 3-stage VTEC implementation. 3-stage VTEC is implemented on the D15B 1.5l SOHC engine in which the VTEC-E mechanism is combined with the power VTEC mechanism.

Many of us probably has laughed at the poor ignorant layman who said "I want power AND economy from my Honda". We know of course that power and economy are mutually exclusive implementations. Honda decided not to abide by this rule. Now, with 3-stage VTEC, we get BOTH power and economy !.

The diagram below illustrates the 3-stage VTEC implementation. The intake rocker arms have two VTEC pin actuation mechanisms. The VTEC-E actuation assembly is located above the camshaft while the VTEC (power) actuation assembly is the standard wild-cam lobe and rocker assembly.

Below 2500rpm and with gentle accelerator pressure, neither pin gets actuated. The engine operates in 12V mode with very good fuel combustion efficiency. When the right foot gets more urgent and/or above 2500rpm, the upper pin gets actuated. This is the VTEC-E mechanism at work and the engine effectively enters into the '2nd stage'. Now D15B 3-stage works in 16V mode (both intake valves works from the same mild cam-lobe).

Stage 2 operates from around 2500rpm to 6000rpm. When the rpm exceeds 6000rpm, the VTEC mechanism activates the wild cam-lobe pushing the engine into the '3rd stage', the power stage. Now the engine gives us the full benefit of its 130ps potential !

The 3-stage VTEC D15B engine is used on the current EK-series JDM Civic/Civic Ferio VTi/Vi together with Honda's new Multimatic CVT transmission. Stage-1 12V or "lean-burn" operation mode is indicated to the driver by an LED on the dashboard. The 2500rpm cutover from lean-burn to normal 16V operation in fact varies according to load and driver requirements. With gentle driving, lean-burn can operate up to 3000rpm or higher. Stage-3 may not always be activated. The Multimatic transmission has a selector for Economy, Drive, and Sports mode. In Economy mode for eg, the ECU operates with a max rpm of around 4800rpm even at Wide-Open-Throttle positions.

The essence of 3-stage VTEC is power AND economy implemented on a 1.5l SOHC PGM-Fi engine. Many people mistakes 3-stage VTEC as a "superior" evolution of the power oriented DOHC VTEC implementation, describing DOHC VTEC as "the older 2-stage VTEC" and implying an inferior relationship. This is totally wrong because DOHC VTEC is tuned purely for high specific output and sports/racing requirements. 3-stage VTEC is in truth an evolution of SOHC VTEC and VTEC-E, merging the two implementations into one.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 PM

scharbody - if you help me in this i would do it the right way my word on it
Old 01-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fine, wanna know how to get it running properly, bolt motor/tranny in, wire it up, use correct ecu and adapter harness (if needed) and you are good to go.

now the hard part is FIGURING OUT WHICH PINS on the ecu run the first vtec solenoid and which run the second solenoid. basically, what works fine, give descent MPG and descent performance is, wire up the first solenoid to a vtec controller (set it to about 400-500rpm above your normal cruising speed) then just hook the second one up like normal and run a p2p ecu with adapter harness and you dont have to worry about wiring up the 5 wire oxygen sensor or egr system.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

schardbody - correct me if im wrong just trying to understand your info if i decide to use the obd2 ecu just buy the jumper harness obd1 to obd2 and im good to go so far, but to make it run better get a p2p ecu + harness + vtec controller and do the wiring.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

figure out which way you want to go, and dont say 100% correct way, because if you do i wont help.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: (CivicLxFL)

i read this from a previous swap Looking at the 3-stage VTEC solenoid, below the spool valves are a strand of wire coming out from each. One of the spool valve has a red wire and the other spool valve has a green/yellow wire like your normal solenoid. Red is for the second stage which I think is wired to A21. Green/Yellow is for the third stage hi duratn/lift cam profile which is wired to A08
Old 01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, first off you might have the wires and pins correct, but im confused as to why you say one is the second stage and one is the third stage, because thats not how it is, one is the first stage (vtec-e leanburn) and one is the third stage (vtec wild cam lobe). the second stage isnt vtec its 16valve operation.

other than that if you have the vtec wiring to the ecu down just figure out the wideband o2 and egr system wiring and you are good.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

thanks for the info will keep in touch and i keep researching, thank you very much for the help, i will let you know how things progress
Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your going to need that exact wiring harness. if you dont have it. i dont care who they are. they are wrong. im 99% sure on this. u will also need that ecu that u say u already have so thats no big deal. the hardes part is prob going to be the wiring harness(i fukin hate wires of any sort, but thats me). when done tell us how the power is and how everything turned out.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: (big-cat)

can i still use the obd1 engine harness
Old 01-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicLxFL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know why the hell syndacate said swap the harness but SIMPLY DONT.

i could walk you through the complete process of getting this thing to run the CORRECT way, but after all that you wouldnt do it right anyways, so i wont waste my time, basically, JUST RUN NORMAL VTEC, DONT WORRY ABOUT THE LEAN BURN OR 12 VALVE MODE. IM YELLING CUZ I HAVE SEEN THE SAME THREAD TOO MANY TIMES AND NOBODY EVER ANSWERS, KNOW WHY, CUZ NOBODY WILL EVER DO IT RIGHT, SO WHY WASTE THE TIME EXPLAINING HOW.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why the hell did I say that? I was unaware that there were OBD-I to OBD-IIa harnesses, sorry, that was my fault.

You're not yelling, you're simply typing in caps, it's just an eye-sore, it doesn't necessarily bring your point out more...next time try bolding it or underlining it .

I'm sorry I'm "too stupid" to listen to your directions but the sick matter is that we were not all endowed with 100% automotive knowledge from birth like you were. Plenty of people here are still learning, including me (obviously, I just learned that there was an OBD-I to OBD-IIa conversion harness). I apologize that you can't explain it, but I don't apologize about the implication that everybody else is just a stupid moron b/c you're the god of cars.

You simply fall into that category of people who were just born knowing EVERY SINGLE thing INSIDE AND OUT and could wire up ECUs from scratch, and assemble a car in 15 minutes, and go to honda's tech crew and tell them what's wrong with their designs, etc.

Though there's a large majority of people (especially on here) that just AREN'T like that. So I guess you'll just have to cut us [non-perfectly knowledgeable] some slack while we learn. Since you and the select few other saints that were endowed with everything to possibly know about any car and never had to learn anything in your entire life, obviously you can't empathize.

man...seriously...
Old 01-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why the hell did I say that? I was unaware that there were OBD-I to OBD-IIa harnesses, sorry, that was my fault.

You're not yelling, you're simply typing in caps, it's just an eye-sore, it doesn't necessarily bring your point out more...next time try bolding it or underlining it .

I'm sorry I'm "too stupid" to listen to your directions but the sick matter is that we were not all endowed with 100% automotive knowledge from birth like you were. Plenty of people here are still learning, including me (obviously, I just learned that there was an OBD-I to OBD-IIa conversion harness). I apologize that you can't explain it, but I don't apologize about the implication that everybody else is just a stupid moron b/c you're the god of cars.

You simply fall into that category of people who were just born knowing EVERY SINGLE thing INSIDE AND OUT and could wire up ECUs from scratch, and assemble a car in 15 minutes, and go to honda's tech crew and tell them what's wrong with their designs, etc.

Though there's a large majority of people (especially on here) that just AREN'T like that. So I guess you'll just have to cut us [non-perfectly knowledgeable] some slack while we learn. Since you and the select few other saints that were endowed with everything to possibly know about any car and never had to learn anything in your entire life, obviously you can't empathize.

man...seriously...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i do cut the guys that are TRYING to learn slack, i do not however cut ANYONE that acts like they know it all and actually post incorrect information 95% of the time ANY SLACK.

i never said i know it all, fact is there is a car sitting at work now with bent valves cuz of my screw-up. im not perfect, but if i dont know i will say "IM NOT SURE BUT....." or i just wont post at all. sorry if it irratates you that i am constantly correcting you, my bad.

Quick Reply: d15b stage 3 vtec obd2 into 94 eg obd1