Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B motor is same fit to D16y motor AT

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B motor is same fit to D16y motor AT

Hi,I have a honda civic 00 LX with a D16y motor and A/T transmission, so before buy the D15B motor, I need to know if the motor fits on my car and my AT transmission without problems.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: D15B motor is same fit to D16y motor AT

Yes, the block and head will bolt up to your exhaust manifold, intake manifold and transmission without issue.

The only variance will be the displacement changes from the 1.6 Y motor to the JDM 1.5 B motor. Your fuel trims will be a little off for what the engine likes.

I am not sure if the motor side mount is the same between the two motors or if it depends on manual/automatic. That might be something to look into.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thank you, can I transfer timing belt, water pump , belts , etc.. from D16Y7 to D15B motor?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by semse2
Ok, thank you, can I transfer timing belt, water pump , belts , etc.. from D16Y7 to D15B motor?
no
Old 09-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why Not?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 PM
talks to himself

Sorry. I didn't read your question fully.

"Can" you? I don't know.

"Should" you? No. or, counter question: Why do you want to?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My d17y motor have all those components are new , so I was wondering to know
Old 09-20-2017, 01:54 PM
talks to himself

Ah. I see.

Google "Majestic honda" and compare part numbers for the two engines. Also compare the deck height, head height, and number of teeth on the water pump and cam gears. Compare pictures.

Finally, check the FAQ. There's a thread buried somewhere in this subforum that's not part of the FAQ called "What parts and interchangeable" Search for it.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
Ah. I see.

Google "Majestic honda" and compare part numbers for the two engines. Also compare the deck height, head height, and number of teeth on the water pump and cam gears. Compare pictures.

Finally, check the FAQ. There's a thread buried somewhere in this subforum that's not part of the FAQ called "What parts and interchangeable" Search for it.
Thank you.

When I have time I will see about updating the FAQ sticky. I've been inundated with our move and I've found that FAQ sticky to be a finicky massive beast so takes some time and finesse to get it up properly.

Unfortunately RonJ didn't provide a master copy to manipulate and cut and paste into the forums. I think I started one at home but I believe it needs some tweaking.

Second to last time I edited it, RonJ had to fix it. That's when I learned how particular it is.

There was another addition noted in the thread itself to add back in that I haven't had time do yet either.

Please do remind me as you notice things. I hope I can put some time in here soon.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Yes, the block and head will bolt up to your exhaust manifold, intake manifold and transmission without issue.

The only variance will be the displacement changes from the 1.6 Y motor to the JDM 1.5 B motor. Your fuel trims will be a little off for what the engine likes.

I am not sure if the motor side mount is the same between the two motors or if it depends on manual/automatic. That might be something to look into.

But this motor D15B8 is for obd1 ecu ?, if so do I need change all wire harness or I need get an obd ecu conversion harness?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Keep using the OBDII manifolds, harness, sensor, distributor, etc. that are on the car now. You should only swap out the engine block / head assembly. You may need to do the CKF bypass if your new engine doesn't have a mount for that sensor.

Really, a used D16Y7 that is an exact fit should not be hard to find domestically.

Don't try to reuse a timing belt. The other parts should fit.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Keep using the OBDII manifolds, harness, sensor, distributor, etc. that are on the car now. You should only swap out the engine block / head assembly. You may need to do the CKF bypass if your new engine doesn't have a mount for that sensor.

Really, a used D16Y7 that is an exact fit should not be hard to find domestically.

Don't try to reuse a timing belt. The other parts should fit.
Ok ,But what about the (crankshaft Position sensor ) crankshaft timing belt gear is the same ?
Old 09-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Hysterically Calm

Ok ,But what about the (crankshaft Position sensor ) crankshaft timing belt gear is the same ?
The red portion is the CKF bypass mk378 mentioned that you quoted.

The blue portion is irrelevant as you will be using the belt and gear of the D15B.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, thank you
Old 09-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking for information on both sensors ckf and cyp and the ckf sends the signal much more constant than the cyp signal, my question is if the trick is to join CKF cables with those of CYP sensor cables, how is that ecu registers both signals as normal ?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

All the critical timing comes from the distributor.

The CKF is only found on OBDII engines and it is only used to detect if the timing belt has skipped. Which you're going to know real quick anyway because the car will run like a tired dog, if it goes at all. But I guess the EPA wanted to see the CEL come on in that situation.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

I was looking for information on both sensors ckf and cyp and the ckf sends the signal much more constant than the cyp signal, my question is if the trick is to join CKF cables with those of CYP sensor cables, how is that ecu registers both signals as normal ?
This is only an educated guess but, the purpose of the CKF signal is to note when the signal is out of place of the CYP. I suspect the ECU doesn't monitor the CKF as much as check for signal when it has signal from the CYP. Quite likely with a kind of "and" gate that the CYP is the control signal to test true.

Therefore it would go to reason that if you tie the two together, the ECU always sees a signal on both at the same time, and is the only time it's looking at the CKF sensor.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been told that D15B motor can be obd1 or obd2 , but how do I know? Also does the d15b8 distributor fit on a d16y7?

Last edited by semse2; 09-26-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to do the same swap, my Y7 blew up. There are only D15b available by engine importers here.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aeenox
I need to do the same swap, my Y7 blew up. There are only D15b available by engine importers here.
D15b can mean a handful of different engines. All from different OBD generations. If your looking for the exact replacement, then you need the d15b that has intake and exhaust manifolds that look exactly like the ones on your Y7. This is also an OBD2 variant just like your car. Easy way to tell is if it has the dipstick all the way right by the crank pulley.

Stay away way from the "3 Stage" VTEC D15b models. You'll never get it to run properly.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is only an educated guess but, the purpose of the CKF signal is to note when the signal is out of place of the CYP. I suspect the ECU doesn't monitor the CKF as much as check for signal when it has signal from the CYP. Quite likely with a kind of "and" gate that the CYP is the control signal to test true.

Therefore it would go to reason that if you tie the two together, the ECU always sees a signal on both at the same time, and is the only time it's looking at the CKF sensor.
Hi TomCat39,
Sorry that I couldn't respond you for years ago.That was a very good answer, but what about CKP, TDC along with CYP how do they works? and also instead of CYP along with CKF, can I link CKP with CKF and will do the same trick? but if it is not ok, can you explain why please ? Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:20 PM
Hysterically Calm

Hi TomCat39,
Sorry that I couldn't respond you for years ago.That was a very good answer, but what about CKP, TDC along with CYP how do they works? and also instead of CYP along with CKF, can I link CKP with CKF and will do the same trick? but if it is not ok, can you explain why please ? Thanks again.
To be perfectly honest, that was purely a guess. I actually do not know how the ECU is configured or programmed for all the various sensors.

I also do not recall what information I had at the time to give me the guess I provided.

I am at a loss to advise how the ECU utilizes all the sensors in the distributor. I do know that non OEM distributors tend to be problematic for these older civics.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

and also instead of CYP along with CKF, can I link CKP with CKF and will do the same trick?
Give it a shot and report back.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be perfectly honest, that was purely a guess. I actually do not know how the ECU is configured or programmed for all the various sensors.

I also do not recall what information I had at the time to give me the guess I provided.

I am at a loss to advise how the ECU utilizes all the sensors in the distributor. I do know that non OEM distributors tend to be problematic for these older civics.

Well I keep wondering and that's interesting because the CYP sensor has 4 teeth which means it only has 2 pulses per crankshaft revolution. What I wonder how it deceives the ecu?
because what I understand is that when the engine is running, the ecu is trying to compare the ckf sensor on the crank with the distributor ckp sensor that emits the same 12 pulses per revolution of the crank or 24 per revolution per cam and this is to make sure your timing belt is properly aligned so all you need to do is run the cables from the ckp from the distributor to the ckf and the ecu will read it well.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

the CYP sensor has 4 teeth
Would you mind posting a picture that shows this^?

what I understand is that when the engine is running, the ecu is trying to compare the ckf sensor on the crank with the distributor ckp sensor
Members here and on other forums have also made this^ same claim, but no proof is EVER given. They just represent unsupported statements. Also note that the description of the CKF sensor in the Honda Civic factory manual suggests that the ECU may use the CKF signal alone to recognize engine misfires.

the distributor ckp sensor...emits the same 12 pulses per revolution of the crank or 24 per revolution per cam
Can you share your source of this^ information?