Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15B making weird noise....is it the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default D15B making weird noise....is it the water pump?

My engine sometimes makes this weird noise....it doesn't always happen but sometimes it does it when I start up the car early in the morning or at night and more rarely it sometimes happens when I start it up in the day.The noise comes from the driver side of the engine and I know its not the power steering pump because I took off the belt and it still made the noise.

I thought it might be the timing belt tensioner or something so I tried tightening the belt and that made the noise sound lower and eventually it stopped....but now its started again and its pretty loud so I'm just wondering if maybe my water pump or tensioner might be bad?

The noise is hard to explain...its kind of a fluctuating hissing noise...If needed I can make a video.

Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B making weird noise....is it the water pump? (fryman)

Bump
Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like you know where the problem is, just you need to take it apart to see which ones the problem.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B making weird noise....is it the water pump? (150sol)

Yea I guess thats what I'll have to do.Do the water pumps start making noises when their going bad or how can you tell when their going bad?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well anything with bad bearings could start making that type of noise. My girlfriend's alternator was making that type of hissing ish sound but that was because I had over-tightened the alternator belt. I loosened it a bit and noise went away. Could it be your alternator maybe? Water pumps when they start going bad will usually leak. I guess their bearings could be going bad as well. Water pumps aren't made up of much. It's just a fan on a piece of metal. So friggin tiny. It's like a water fan or something.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea I guess thats what I'll have to do.Do the water pumps start making noises when their going bad or how can you tell when their going bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Water pumps start to leak when they start to go bad. Though usually they last longer than the timing belt and since you change the two in unison you usually don't have to worry about it.

I realize that the sound might be hard to describe, but if you want us to help you better, you're going to have to give it a shot.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D15B making weird noise....is it the water pump? (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well anything with bad bearings could start making that type of noise. My girlfriend's alternator was making that type of hissing ish sound but that was because I had over-tightened the alternator belt. I loosened it a bit and noise went away. Could it be your alternator maybe? Water pumps when they start going bad will usually leak. I guess their bearings could be going bad as well. Water pumps aren't made up of much. It's just a fan on a piece of metal. So friggin tiny. It's like a water fan or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You know maybe It is the alternator belt or a.c. belt...I did make them pretty tight..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Water pumps start to leak when they start to go bad. Though usually they last longer than the timing belt and since you change the two in unison you usually don't have to worry about it.

I realize that the sound might be hard to describe, but if you want us to help you better, you're going to have to give it a shot.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm gunna take off the a.c. and alternator belts and if it still makes the noise I'll make a video.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so today I loosened all the belts and the noise stopped .So it looks like I had the a.c. and alternator belts on too tight.Thank you very much sageuvagony,you saved me alot of time and trouble