Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15b help/information

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15b help/information

i recently bought a 92 civic vx hatch with a d15b motor in it. i am very unfimiliar with the motor. http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...30019 there is the link to the actual motor. i was wondering if anyone has information or a site for this motor. currently my plans are to boost it asap and possibly build it. i wanna boost it with a t3 60 trim, i have 450cc injectors and tune it with hondata s200 w/boost. the reason i am asking this is because i dont know what stock mm bore is or anything of that to go off of when i build it if anyone has any suggestion on how far to bore it or any of that let me know and also if youve done this if you could give me a power range and time range if youve been to a track.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: D15b help/information (slow_redcivic)

With your intentions the z6 motor would be better suited for you. The d15b does not have much of an aftermarket for it. It also sounds like you have no idea what anything is so go read a little
Old 08-12-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: D15b help/information (wadup)

i actually have 2 civic the other is a d16z6 in a 95 coupe ex. maybe i'll swap them and build the z6.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:59 AM

yeh i have a 92 vx hatch back too ... son of a a b**ch is giving me problems ... my engine is a stock one ..... its a d15z1 i belive and the sob keeps turning off after a while after i start it like 10 minutes later it just shuts off and everything on that motor parts are so expensive from the dealership b.c everything for it has to be be special ordered .... the damn oxygen sensor for my car is 450 bux from honda... crazy huh ??? or what not ..... i beleive i seen a motor just like mine on honda tech boosted like 10 sec.... crazy ... i wouldnt boost this pos unless i actually seen it boosted in person and someone really convinced me .... it would be nice though .......
Old 08-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think he was referring to the JDM d15b, not the stock vx motor.--but to answer your question, i myself have a d15b in a vx, and from what I'VE read we're pretty much a little screwed on big boost. the internals of the motor are different from the z6 or y8 or any other d-series. something about the piston location on the rod, it's slightly off than the others. a good choise would be to just source a z6/y8 block, build that and swap the head. check out d-series.org for more info
Old 08-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Do_Ster)

z6 rods, there are some that are running vitrara pistons in them with no problems, or you can use gx (01-03) d17a pistons in them, wiseco makes some for race engineering. they are plenty of posts here about the engine.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: D15b help/information (VXB20VTECHMONSTER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VXB20VTECHMONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just had to quote this guy because of his username. Classic.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:21 PM

I have this same setup on my car, a D15B with a greddy turbo kit. If you are looking for boost ASAP my kit is for sale. Its the greddy kit with a brand new GREDDY RS BOV if ur interested post me!

Old 08-13-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: (slywfbpsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slywfbpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">z6 rods, there are some that are running vitrara pistons in them with no problems, or you can use gx (01-03) d17a pistons in them, wiseco makes some for race engineering. they are plenty of posts here about the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
interesting i was under the assumption that the jdm d15b rods we're not identical to the z6 rods, hence not being able to use aftermarket z6 rods in the d15b. or any other d-series rod for that matter. i'll try to find that article on d-series.org, to my understanding, if you want rods for the d15b, they're going to have to be custom, hence why most people just source a z6/y8 block and build that since the aftermarket internals are so widely avaliable
Old 08-13-2005, 10:38 PM

here is the link:
http://www.d-series.org/forums...17840

at first everyone agrees that the z6 rods have the same part number as the d15b rods, but later on in the thread, there is a discrepancy. check it out.

funny cause some people say you can and some say you can't. confusing indeed
Old 08-13-2005, 10:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow_redcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i actually have 2 civic the other is a d16z6 in a 95 coupe ex. maybe i'll swap them and build the z6.</TD></TR></TABLE>

reading OWNZ me lol, i wrote all that and realized you already had considered swapping the z6.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Do_Ster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
interesting i was under the assumption that the jdm d15b rods we're not identical to the z6 rods, hence not being able to use aftermarket z6 rods in the d15b. or any other d-series rod for that matter. i'll try to find that article on d-series.org, to my understanding, if you want rods for the d15b, they're going to have to be custom, hence why most people just source a z6/y8 block and build that since the aftermarket internals are so widely avaliable </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Do_Ster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is the link:
http://www.d-series.org/forums...17840

at first everyone agrees that the z6 rods have the same part number as the d15b rods, but later on in the thread, there is a discrepancy. check it out.

funny cause some people say you can and some say you can't. confusing indeed</TD></TR></TABLE>It's only those who are just looking at part numbers and not actually having the two rods together that are confused; many have used d16z6 rods on their d15b on that board, as well as turbo d16 and here. Heck turbodcx on this board used z6 pistons and rods in his d15b to get him to the 11s before he swapped it out for a sleeved y8. People are looking at compression calculators and saying that z6 pistons will stick out of the head. But, bizzar on the same link you posted used vitrara pistons in his d15b you can look at his post on turbo d16.

So, why was he able to use vitrara pistons? Shouldn't he of been able to also use z6 pistons since they have the same compression height? Look here ZealAutowerks - Compression Calculator.url they calculate that vitrara and z6 pistons should both stick out of the d15b about .07mm. But, that wasn't the case for him. You can't always go by a part that has a different part number and say that they will not fit.

Modified by slywfbpsi at 10:39 AM 8/15/2005
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 AM

i got owned! lol. i myself am learning along the way, i guess it takes someone to actually do it in order to find out. the thing is there is a lot of "yes you can" and "no you can't" regarding this motor. i believe a member on this board actually emailed the top 3 rod manufacturers and each returned with an answer of no, you would not be able to use a d16 rod in a d15. but i suppose they aren't really aware of the d15b since the motor was never introduced here in the states. also, since it isn't quite cheap to just buy a set of rods and later find out they won't fit, the concrete info is scarce. but, with slywfbpsi's info, that seems to have changed. lol i will go sit in a corner now and weep regarding my ignorance haha
Old 08-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't trying to be sarcastist or anything. But if you don't want to spent say 3-600 on rods, get a set of tuner toys rods -$225 and a set of vitrara pistons -$145. For $370 you have a "testing" investment setup that will get you to 300 whp. I myself am striving for more than that amount, All I have to do now is send a piston/rod assembly from my spare block to race engineering and have them see if custom pistons are truely necessary or can I use their gx pistons from wiseco.