Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is the d15b (dual stage vtec) obd2 (96-00) the awesome best d series engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the d15b (dual stage vtec) obd2 (96-00) the awesome best d series engine?

Seems that usually when I read about that lean burn, fast, awesome d series engine its called 3 stage or vtec-e.

but this engine depot calls it (dual stage). Same ****? Or different ****? I might shell out 700$ for a low miles 50mpg engine that can enjoy a 100% increase in power from a turbo.

and as a follow up how much more complicated is the dual/multi vtec, tuning wise, vs my d15b7?
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: is the d15b (dual stage vtec) obd2 (96-00) the awesome best d series engine?

The D15Z7 3 Stage Dual Vtec is the best D series hands down. Wait for it, wait for it.

Get the package: engine, trans, ecu, and harness and no need for a tune. Set you back about $1,300.

There is a difference between auto intakes and manuals. I can't remember but there is a sensor or IACV that is on the mani for one and the TB for the other.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: is the d15b (dual stage vtec) obd2 (96-00) the awesome best d series engine?

I already have the long geared D trans that works well so I wouldn't want to pay for another plus shipping. I would prefer to get the short gear trans for speed or keep the long gear for MPG.

and I was referring to the JDM engine I dont think that one you mentioned was JDM
Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

The Z7 variant if I recall is australian but is the same motor as the JDM dual vtec/3 stage D15B.

Vtec-E refers to the D15Z1 lean burn Civic VX which only has vtec economy (vtec-e).

The D15B dual vtec or 3-stage motor is JDM. It mixes the best of both worlds, lean burn of the Z1 with performance wild cam of the Z6 or D15B performance vtec. so it has two additional intake lobes, one for vtec-e and then another wild cam lobe for vtec.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So the dual and 3 stage are the same engine. Thank you TomCat.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
I already have the long geared D trans that works well so I wouldn't want to pay for another plus shipping. I would prefer to get the short gear trans for speed or keep the long gear for MPG.

and I was referring to the JDM engine I dont think that one you mentioned was JDM
Do some more searching before saying something like that.....
Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why do you say that Tony?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Fish Twig

Seems that usually when I read about that lean burn, fast, awesome d series engine its called 3 stage or vtec-e.

but this engine depot calls it (dual stage). Same ****? Or different ****? I might shell out 700$ for a low miles 50mpg engine that can enjoy a 100% increase in power from a turbo.

and as a follow up how much more complicated is the dual/multi vtec, tuning wise, vs my d15b7?

So much for dissin turbo setups......
Old 06-06-2014, 10:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Eh in all honesty I am not a fan of forcing induction into an engine that was designed to solely be N.A. If I wanted a turbo car I will buy a car that has a turbo engine available from the factory, prolly a Toyota since I already have turbo Nissan and Mazda in my driveway.

I might entertain the idea, though. 220hp lighting up tires power, and also 60mpg while driven responsibly is mind ******* retarded bro I dont even know what to think about that besides that its a miracle of engineering on Honda's part.

prolly worth the investment a lil while down the road, would seriously consider it in comparison to a dohc engine
Old 06-07-2014, 03:05 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Eh in all honesty I am not a fan of forcing induction into an engine that was designed to solely be N.A.
People usually say this because they're scared or boosting a car due to lack of knowledge.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
People usually say this because they're scared or boosting a car due to lack of knowledge.
while you're right that i have no knowledge of building or ever seeing a n.a.-t in person. My reason for saying this is cost benefit analysis.

off the shelf turbo kit for a civic: multiple 1,000s

3sgte complete long block with accessories, ecu, and even a 6speed and both differentials:
1,000$ b4 shipping

which would you say has better cost benefit?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:41 AM
The Grumpiest

Usually, people that boost their cars, don't really care about cost benefit. We want more power and we tend to want to do it correctly. To do that you have to become knowledgeable. But these days taking the time to become knowledgeable is like Kryptonite to some of you; preferring misconception, short-cuts/cutting corners and being outright wrong.

Funny that you're talking about cost-benefit all of a sudden. In your "build" thread you were talking about all kinds of ridiculously expensive and outlandish things just to save a few bucks a months. Where's the cost-benefit in turning your car into a golfball? You're a walking bag of contradictions.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I think the myth busters did it for a few hundred dollars but I dont want to use clay. I'll be free if I use a ball peen hammer, but honestly I think a light weight plastic would be best. I may come across some sort of thing thats actually trash and works perfectly, one man's trash could be another man's treasure dont ya kno.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Not to mention Toyota has a habit of overbuilding their engines particularly the FI ones.

for example, the 4agze. Its factory super charged for I think the MR2.

no need to buy forged aftermarket rods pistons or crank, they're all already forged and can handle alot of power. Throw away the old inefficient S/C, add a modern turbo, and maybe a head swap since there are 5valve per cylinder, and also big and small port 16valve heads available.

seems like doing it right to me. Why build a n.a-t 2jzge in your Lexus when you could buy a 2jzgte for 1,000? Especially considering its got features that actually support a turbo charger, like extra oilers and lower compression pistons.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 AM
The Grumpiest

Not to mention Toyota has a habit of overbuilding their engines particularly the FI ones.

for example, the 4agze. Its factory super charged for I think the MR2.

no need to buy forged aftermarket rods pistons or crank, they're all already forged and can handle alot of power. Throw away the old inefficient S/C, add a modern turbo, and maybe a head swap since there are 5valve per cylinder, and also big and small port 16valve heads available.

seems like doing it right to me. Why build a n.a-t 2jzge in your Lexus when you could buy a 2jzgte for 1,000? Especially considering its got features that actually support a turbo charger, like extra oilers and lower compression pistons.
Last time I checked this was Honda-tech. So all of this is just nonsense and you trying to rationalize your position. Again.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Last time I checked this was Honda-tech. So all of this is just nonsense and you trying to rationalize your position. Again.
what makes it nonsense? That there's other vehicle brands, and OMG they have factory turbo engines in America!? I dont really want to force induction into a honda, thats just me.

I'd rather practice tuning, to increase MPG, on my old pos civic. Or buy an engine that has millions if not billions of r&d that people have been known to get 50mpg+ in stock trim.

and not spend thousand upon thousands making a civic into what it isn't. But in all honesty I'm prolly gonna wrap mine around a tree
Old 06-07-2014, 04:29 AM
The Grumpiest

Then why did you buy a Civic if all that precious R&D at Toyota produces engines more to your liking? THAT makes no sense. "I've always like those 370zs. That's why I bought this Geo Metro!"
Old 06-07-2014, 04:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

There are several D15B engines. If you don't know what to look for like OBD1 connectors vs OBD2 connectors and one Vtec solenoid vs 2 you are lost. Because the Honda engine branding, or stamping or marking or identifying or whatever, was asleep at the wheel or lost his mojo with creativity it has become standard practice in the Honda realm to refer to D15B engines by their brother and sister titles in foreign lands. So, the D15B 3 Stage Dual Vtec is a "D15Z7"

A thank you very much.

(drop mic and exit stage left)

Last edited by OptimisticWay; 06-07-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

At the time when I bought my eh9 it had the best cost/benefit analysis. Not to mention it was a little sentimental.

then a few people were trying to sell me on how civics are the cheapest easiest cars to 'build' but after really looking into it, IV found that they're only the cheapest cars to repair when they break down. Which I guess is awesome in its own way. My EH9 turned out to have a potentially economic perspective ruining feature, a rusty windshield lip which is a job I'm not interested in doing and that body shops tell me costs like 5,000$.

so I bought one a cheap one that doesn't leak and smell like mildew.

I should have bought a Celica doe, but st185s are difficult to find which is really what I prefer because thats what the 3sgte is sourced from. I think I'm gonna keep looking for a 4x4 5speed v6 truck to turn into a supra truck.

why do you like Hondas and honda-tech so much?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
There are several D15B engines. If you don't know what to look for like OBD1 connectors vs OBD2 connectors and one Vtec solenoid vs 2 you are lost. Because the the Honda engine branding, or stamping or marking or identifying or whatever, was asleep at the wheel or lost his mojo with creativity it has become standard practice in the Honda realm to refer to D15B engines by the brother and sister titles in foreign lands. So, the D15B 3 Stage Dual Vtec is a "D15Z7"

A thank you very much.

(drop mic and exit stage left)
thats pretty informative guy, its just that the engine importers I was browsing thru call it (dual stage) and I figured you were talking about something separate. I think I understand the one I want though. It has 2 vtec things, its OBD2, and its gonna say d15b on it.

pretty amazing engineering on honda's behalf with this one. The most power and most efficiency of all the d-series engines.

and also thank you for helping me and for your joking demeanor. I appreciate you and tomcat for assisting me with this question
Old 06-07-2014, 05:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

And also I only referenced r&d in regard to Honda Corporation and the dual vtec engine
Old 06-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Fish Twig

Dude...this is the technical form specifically for the 92-00 civics. Also the information you're looking is also here in this very same forum. You didn't search enough. You sure as hell don't know what is and isn't capable of handling boost.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Fish Twig

FYI Honda r&d is the best out there, when the create VTEC everybody else was saying it was going to bomb out. No it didnt , they proved that it worked and was able to produce. Now everyone has some sort or variable valve timing.

Toyota hasn't produce a turbo engine in a while for the US, which means there eyes are else where. Honda on the other hand has finally produce a turbo engine for there cars and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:53 AM
The Grumpiest

Wikipedia has all the Honda engine specs. Imagine that.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You are most welcome.

Here is a build of maybe exactly what you are looking for. I know it is exactly what I was looking for.

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2699294

He turbocharged a D15Z7 3 Stage Dual Vtec and made 220 streetable horse and was able to get 60+ mpg.

Oh yeah, that's me in the corner pleasuring myself.

Quick Reply: is the d15b (dual stage vtec) obd2 (96-00) the awesome best d series engine?