Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D15 Clutch Adjusting, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D15 Clutch Adjusting, need some help

The main purpose of replacing the slave and master cylinder a little while back, was to hopefully get a better clutch feel/lower clutch engagement... So I went through with it and got it done myself but its still unclear to me how to adjust the damn clutch. After replacing and bleeding the system the clutch still grabs at the very top. It doesnt slip, it doesn't show any other symptoms so I feel like the clutch should be good just 2 clarify..

I just damn wont understand the procedure lol, I shortened the stroke of the CMC while pumping in the freeplay range of the pedal.. Havent had the chance to extensively test it yet, but ROM of the pedal is noticably less now, it didnt ride the clutch as far as i could tell..

It really bothered my launching with the pedal grabbing at the very top
Is this a right approach?

Last edited by Stonage07; 02-24-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:32 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: D15 Clutch Adjusting, need some help

Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting.

I suspect your clutch begins grabbing long before the top of the pedal, it just doesn't fully lock until top of the pedal.

As far as I am aware, the only adjustment available is pedal play and angle.

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder when you replaced it? I don't think that is your issue, but I do know air trapped in the master can cause issues.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Tom, thanks for the reply, bit late but!!

I've been aware that these clutches r self-adjusting based on wear, but other then that it feels good the clutch honestly, I did bleed the master cylinder after install. But walking back and forth since I was alone I couldnt see the bubbles, I did it on feel, a good 20 minutes walking back and forth keeping the reservoir filled. Not quite sure what bench bleeding indicates? But I have a good feeling with it

The clutch still feels to be in a good state honestly, other then the high grab. Clutch pedal will be 80-85% engaged before it starts rolling, when it does grab, it grabs pretty solid but it makes my driving notchy especially shifting from 1st to 2nd at stoplights.. With this high pedal grab, when I WOT 1-2nd, I get a big *** jerk which is annoying and dont know how to deal with it.. Normal driving, passenger wouldnt notice it, but I notice it and it bothers me haha

And honestly when I did the change on clutch pedal, The pedal travel is a bit less and it seems to have helped a little bit for whatever reason

How did you setup your clutch freeplay on your personal ride?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Hysterically Calm

Old 03-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol well fml, wasn't aware of bench bleeding.. You reckon there still to be air in the system after pumping through 0.5 liter of brake fluid while bleedin?

How long would you keep bleeding, if you'd have to do it by yourself? I'd appreciate a rough indication, the fact that i cant see the reservoir while walking back and forth makes it more difficult!
Old 03-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Hysterically Calm

I unfortunately do not have any answers for you.

I do not know the problems associated with not bench bleeding a master cylinder prior to install.

I have only been made aware bench bleeding is the method required when installing a new master cylinder, that is all.

I wish I had more helpful information for you.

Maybe someone with experience can provide you the information you require.