Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d series worth it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d series worth it

ok im prolly gona get **** for this but... is keeping and puting money into it worth it or should i say [freak] it and swap out for a b series... ok now things you need to know to judge this..my goals are to have a moderatly fast car for daily driving but still have looks and gas millage. i would like to start playing around with forced induction so what do you guys think.. and my hp expectations are around 250 would be sweet be easy with this if you dont have anything good to say dont i dont realy wana hear it thanks for any advise
Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series worth it (tinymotor22)

check the turbo forum for sohc turbo setups and see if you like what you read. i've seen alot of good numbers over there and plan on boosting my sohc, while building a b16 in the meantime. i say have fun in building the sohc and see what numbers you can get... just my .02
Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Re: d series worth it (pdotjones)

keep it, build it , and learn from it.... if you blow it, your only out a few hundred bucks. blow a b-series and a longblock from h-motors is a grand.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series worth it (nicks-eg6)

keep it and build it and you will love it i love my d and i have put it to gather for all oem parts some new and some used and i am making around 250 whp but do your research first i love my sohc and am even building a f22 and racing in a all sohc class
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series worth it (1993-eg1)

I also in same situation I was gonna completely ditch my d-series but iono just might keep it for while and build up the b-series.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series worth it (dorkjoey)

ive rocked a b18b and a b18b turbo the b18 parts are expensive as hell if you break somthing...now i got a hatch with a jdm d15b in it im gonna build my d and be happy with 200hp(cant go to wild with a car seat in the back) if your just learning bout f/i setups the d will save you money if you make a mistake or get wild and beat the crap out of it
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good condition z6/y8, autoworks turbo kit, good tune.

total fun!

turbo D is great, esp for those on a budget.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 AM

good stuff thanks alot
Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tinymotor22)

I think a B series would be a good start. I have a jdm b16 and im getting GREAT gas milage, and when I want to, I can take on plenty of ppl and smack them. Plus there is ALOT of potential with the B series motor. Dont you wanna hear the sweet sound of VTEC? Turbo is fun and all, but you have to make sure everything is tuned right or youll end up just having to fix your car alot. I think you would get more props for getting a N/A car up to 250 hp then a turbo car.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 AM

Default Re: (Ej Girl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ej Girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think a B series would be a good start. I have a jdm b16 and im getting GREAT gas milage, and when I want to, I can take on plenty of ppl and smack them. Plus there is ALOT of potential with the B series motor. Dont you wanna hear the sweet sound of VTEC? Turbo is fun and all, but you have to make sure everything is tuned right or youll end up just having to fix your car alot. I think you would get more props for getting a N/A car up to 250 hp then a turbo car.</TD></TR></TABLE>ALOT of money to get there n/a
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can afford too or have another car, why not just boost your d series as they can really hall some *** w/ a snail. If you blow the motor then swap your B-series that you want?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 AM

Default Re: (ZenDynasty)

Swap it out and put a b16 in or something. when I boosted my D, I was kinda happy but I knew I could of done the same for a B and be even faster. And I think B looks better when u pop the hood also.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 AM

go for it!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you ask a question that's been debated to death; every time it's brought up in an unrelated topic? You already know what the answer is going to be.

Most people will say it's crap, a total money pit, and that you should just swap a B

no an H

no a K

no a CRV block with a VTEC head.

Other people will say that you can get a respectable amount of power out of a D for a lot less money than a swap.

You don't even tell us your goals for the car.

I say lock the thread and give this noob a slap on the wrist.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: d series worth it (baller status)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baller status &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Most people will say it's crap, a total money pit, and that you should just swap a B

</TD></TR></TABLE>

but they haven't, so far. i, in particular, left this open to highlight how things have changed. i've seen it on d-series.org; the amout of users who are enjoying success with turbo d's has increased ten-fold, maybe even more, over the past two years. the tide has turned a bit, finally....

guys like Autoworks with their affordable, quality turbo kits, and then the vast research done with the vitara piston setups - it's all come together for the d-series guys.

but you are right- the past couple of years it's been the same old song.

Modified by builthatch at 12:10 PM 4/9/2008
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Default Re: d series worth it (builthatch)

Many ways you can go. Cheapest is to stick with the D and boost up to 10psi. Take into account you can blow up a motor on 4psi, its all about the tuning/timing so you should definately get a VAFC or some sort of fuel management/engine management system; thats where it gets pricey.

I bought an ebay turbo kit but I swapped out the actual turbo for a used one of better quality for about $250 on spooled performances website. Running 7psi right now and I'll take B's and H's all day on stock internals and less than $1200 (tune costed a pretty penny) invested in my motor. Its also reliable because of my tune, I've seen 200k motors boost 10psi daily driven just fine.

Turbo D vs Turbo B or any other larger displacement or DOHC motor with the same psi and turbos. D's will always lose out if not because of size but flow, but best bang for the buck D wins.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tinymotor22)

Originally Posted by Ej Girl
I think a B series would be a good start. I have a jdm b16 and im getting GREAT gas milage, and when I want to, I can take on plenty of ppl and smack them. Plus there is ALOT of potential with the B series motor. Dont you wanna hear the sweet sound of VTEC? Turbo is fun and all, but you have to make sure everything is tuned right or youll end up just having to fix your car alot. I think you would get more props for getting a N/A car up to 250 hp then a turbo car.
I wish people would stop doing this to the d series motors, if u don’t know don’t comment. First off y would u buy a car, buy a motor, put the motor in, and than build it😂. No. Build the motor in front of u! Don’t ever do that😂, and! About the potential yes u have more because it’s simply newer🤷🏽, but he wanted to know about a d series, which going n/a is THE WORST OPTION FOR THESE MOTORS!!!! I can’t stress this enough how much money u can dump into this car before it shows u promising numbers naturally is sad asf. But there is luck cuz these arnt bad turbocharged cars, but u will need a new set of pistons and rods. 525$ for virtara set, so they can take the added hp and to get u anywhere. So at this point sense u have the added muscle to your car all u need to do is provide fuel and air to your car according to what u got, I have a y7 which I know is trash, but I was planning on supercharging it to shut some people up😅. And my air system is pretty dog ****, so I would look into a new IM (if your car needs it for the upgrade!!!) and a new ecu if needed, and just those 2-3 mods including the turbo kit, I can produce over 250-300 with maybe 25 mpg from my 34. But that’s with a good tune, and 300 is pushing it. D series was made for economy, but a turbo will put a stop to any economy car, just balance it right and u got a good mix I’d say. For CHEAP AS WELL!
Old 04-20-2021, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: d series worth it

Not to hijack the thread but I have a similar dilema with D vs B or H. I have a D16Z6(best D series to boost because of two oil holes in the crank journals I believe?) that runs perfect but has a blown head gasket. Also have a P28 and an EK EX 5 speed transmission. Figured I'd build it and boost it but I kinda want to add sway bars and build the car for track. NA is better for track though, right? So B or H would be best for track and turbo D would be better for drag?
Old 04-21-2021, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainy City
Many ways you can go. Cheapest is to stick with the D and boost up to 10psi. Take into account you can blow up a motor on 4psi, its all about the tuning/timing so you should definately get a VAFC or some sort of fuel management/engine management system; thats where it gets pricey.

I bought an ebay turbo kit but I swapped out the actual turbo for a used one of better quality for about $250 on spooled performances website. Running 7psi right now and I'll take B's and H's all day on stock internals and less than $1200 (tune costed a pretty penny) invested in my motor. Its also reliable because of my tune, I've seen 200k motors boost 10psi daily driven just fine.

Turbo D vs Turbo B or any other larger displacement or DOHC motor with the same psi and turbos. D's will always lose out if not because of size but flow, but best bang for the buck D wins.
Originally Posted by Juliene Deering
I wish people would stop doing this to the d series motors, if u don’t know don’t comment. First off y would u buy a car, buy a motor, put the motor in, and than build it😂. No. Build the motor in front of u! Don’t ever do that😂, and! About the potential yes u have more because it’s simply newer🤷🏽, but he wanted to know about a d series, which going n/a is THE WORST OPTION FOR THESE MOTORS!!!! I can’t stress this enough how much money u can dump into this car before it shows u promising numbers naturally is sad asf. But there is luck cuz these arnt bad turbocharged cars, but u will need a new set of pistons and rods. 525$ for virtara set, so they can take the added hp and to get u anywhere. So at this point sense u have the added muscle to your car all u need to do is provide fuel and air to your car according to what u got, I have a y7 which I know is trash, but I was planning on supercharging it to shut some people up😅. And my air system is pretty dog ****, so I would look into a new IM (if your car needs it for the upgrade!!!) and a new ecu if needed, and just those 2-3 mods including the turbo kit, I can produce over 250-300 with maybe 25 mpg from my 34. But that’s with a good tune, and 300 is pushing it. D series was made for economy, but a turbo will put a stop to any economy car, just balance it right and u got a good mix I’d say. For CHEAP AS WELL!
This thread is older than my tortoise .. As long as the tune is good you can still get good MPG on a boosted Honda engine. Most modern turbo charged production vehicles today are using turbos to achieve better fuel economy.

Originally Posted by fryman
Not to hijack the thread but I have a similar dilema with D vs B or H. I have a D16Z6(best D series to boost because of two oil holes in the crank journals I believe?) that runs perfect but has a blown head gasket. Also have a P28 and an EK EX 5 speed transmission. Figured I'd build it and boost it but I kinda want to add sway bars and build the car for track. NA is better for track though, right? So B or H would be best for track and turbo D would be better for drag?
^^ Yes the Z6 has better bearings I believe. Everyone has different goals and likes with their budgets, just do what you want not what the internet says is OK.. Search google for better answers and threads with this topic.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Juliene Deering
Yes, that’s the idea. Spend the 3-4,000$ on building the D series for boost instead of the engine swap with unknown mileage. That’s what I’m in the process of doing right now with a D16Z6. It’s not cheap, but if built it can handle lots of power, and if not built, a D series should still do 250whp boosted.

If you are doing road racing a turbo D16Z6 is still a good idea with a responsive turbo. B and H are heavier and a built D series is good for drag racing. A piston/rod D series can hit 11’s with slicks!
Old 04-22-2021, 07:27 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

For a road track you want a responsive engine. You can have this with a turbo D-series, just use a small, modern turbo like the Turbonetics TNX 20/60. Very fast spool, small frame size, and I made 315 whp / 310 ft-lb torque with it on my D16Z6. Avoid the bigger turbos that make big power - you'll sacrifice spool time and low end power for bigger top end power which won't be very useful on a road course anyhow. You could also look into one of the centrifugal supercharger kits by Kraftwerks.

As highschooler said, you'll save some weight by staying with the D-series. If you're building for boost, spend the extra $350 and get forged pistons instead of the cast Vitara-style pistons.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-22-2021, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
For a road track you want a responsive engine. You can have this with a turbo D-series, just use a small, modern turbo like the Turbonetics TNX 20/60. Very fast spool, small frame size, and I made 315 whp / 310 ft-lb torque with it on my D16Z6. Avoid the bigger turbos that make big power - you'll sacrifice spool time and low end power for bigger top end power which won't be very useful on a road course anyhow. You could also look into one of the centrifugal supercharger kits by Kraftwerks.

As highschooler said, you'll save some weight by staying with the D-series. If you're building for boost, spend the extra $350 and get forged pistons instead of the cast Vitara-style pistons.
Thanks for the info, the smaller turbo for low end power wasn't something I even considered. I'll go that route if I set it up for track. I always wondered why so many people run Vitaras when they're cast pistons. D-Serious runs Vitaras and he has blown them to pieces. Given that he's pushing 500whp but quality forged pistons would have to hold up better than cast.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:26 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Closed the 13 year old thread bump.

Thread has some good final information so should be safe to considered complete. Thank you.