Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in

I'm swapping gearsets on a pair of 92-95 ex/si transmissions.

I got everything apart and pulled the gearsets out, but I can't get the damn things back in.

I know it has something to do with the shifter selector tabs at the bottom and I have to align them a certain way, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

anybody with experience want to chime in and show me how I have to set things up to get it back in?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in (bambbrose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bambbrose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm swapping gearsets on a pair of 92-95 ex/si transmissions.

I got everything apart and pulled the gearsets out, but I can't get the damn things back in.

I know it has something to do with the shifter selector tabs at the bottom and I have to align them a certain way, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

anybody with experience want to chime in and show me how I have to set things up to get it back in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i had to deal with this bullshit when i did my hybrid tranny. you have three "tabs" or whatever you want to call them the 1st and 2nd tab, the 3rd and 4th one, and the 5th and reverse one. You have to put the forks on the gears in the right place and line all the tabs where the shift rod tab or whatever it is goes. then you have to push the shift rod in (where the shift linkage connects) to push that tab thing up where the grooves are pointing "up" and then line everything up and drop the mainshaft and countershaft in (along with the shift forks) This is the biggest pain in the ***. I had to push the tranny up against a wall to push that shift rod in.

I know it sounds confusing but you should get a good idea of what i'm talking about

goodluck
Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

You'll see there are three metal arms, and they have an indentation in them that shows you where the interlock goes. Put the spring and 21mm (i think) nut onto the interlock, then drop the gearset in and have a friend align the shift arms with the interlock.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in (Bense)

you're lucky to get a response in here that fast. D-series.org has an excellent tranny forum. [b]SOMETHING THAT THIS SITE NEEDS[/B}
Old 01-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll see there are three metal arms, and they have an indentation in them that shows you where the interlock goes. Put the spring and 21mm (i think) nut onto the interlock, then drop the gearset in and have a friend align the shift arms with the interlock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

another one of the few guys on here that isn't afraid of crackin open a tranny
Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll see there are three metal arms, and they have an indentation in them that shows you where the interlock goes. Put the spring and 21mm (i think) nut onto the interlock, then drop the gearset in and have a friend align the shift arms with the interlock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure exactly what 21mm nut you are talking about... could you elaborate?

So I've got those three arms, each with the little notch in them. Do I line them all up horizontally on the gearset before installing or do I offset them slightly or what?

As for the other side on the casing rod peice, do I just pull it as far up as I can? What about how it slides side to side, do I slide it to a particular side?
thanks for the help so far
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having that same problem with my b series tranny
Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in (underb00steg6)

dude get ahold of sage if your still in logan... im sure he would help you !! Id do it for you if i was there
Old 01-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: d series transmission. How do I get the gearset back in (Timmay)

The 21mm is the bolt to the side of the interlock with the spring

A pic of the trans on top, on the bottom a pic of the interlock as if you were looking through the 21 mm

Heres a picture of the interlock upside down after I installed the guide bolt incorrectly (the 21mm is that bolt w/ spring directly to the right:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873 read read read
Old 01-20-2006, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an issue with this getting my tranny back together when I rebuilt it also. You just have to keep working at it and eventually everything falls into place. Bauley's thread helped a bunch also.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks bauley. I read that thread during my searches prior to starting this one.

Just to make sure I'm thinking correctly, when you say the guide bolt, you are speaking of the 8mm allen head one that is on the other side correct?

another question. While I have everything apart, it isn't much harder to remove the diff is it?

To get the diff out I just have to remove the speed sensor, and then what else?

The reason I ask is since the shifter forks broke I want to make sure there aren't any shavings hiding somewhere underneath it
Old 01-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: (bambbrose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bambbrose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Just to make sure I'm thinking correctly, when you say the guide bolt, you are speaking of the 8mm allen head one that is on the other side correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN IT WITH THE HOLE IN THE INTERLOCK

And the diff just comes out once the gear cluster is out.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

and it's much easier for the diff to come out if the vss isn't still on the tranny
Old 01-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks for the help guys. Got everything put back together just barely and everything is working good. Gonna install the trans tonight. Gonna be nice getting rid of the 3.25 final drive for a 4.25.

I'll update with my impressions. My hatch is &lt;1900lbs so I think it'll make quite a difference