Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D-series tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 10:29 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-series tranny problems

alright heres the deal guys. My friend has a 96 DX hatch. Stock motor and tranny. the tranny is making loud grinding noises when off the clutch. When the clutch pedal is pressed in the noise goes away. i thought it was the throw-out bearing or something like that iono what its called exactly, so he takes it to pep boys for a new clutch and bearings. noise is still there. now they took it to another mechanic and he is just replacing the tranny. but he said the new clutch and **** cant be used on the tranny he is installing and they have to buy another one. is this possible? i dont understand why he cant use the clucth that was installed by pep boys? is it likely or do u guys think this mechanic is milking them like i think they are?. any advice would help out. thanks.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D-series tranny problems (eeJayeiGht)

The other mechanic is trying to get more money out of him unless something was wrong with the flywheel and that is what is causing the noises. If the flywheel is damaged it could have destroyed the new clutch.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:48 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: D-series tranny problems (Ricey McRicerton)

thanks for the quick reply. anyone else have any insight they care to share?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a little more...if you are mechanically inclined at all, go get a Helms manual and swap it out yourself. That way you can check and see what is damaged and you won't run the risk of gettig dicked by a mechanic.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:54 AM
* B A N N E D *

haha im not even gonna try and mess with a tranny yet. never have and i wouldnt know what to look for. and the car is already at the mechanic in the bay area, we're in the valley. i just heard this was happening and i thought it odd to replace a new clucth when replacing his tranny
Old 11-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is. I would suggest getting a fellow HT member with some experience, gettnig the car back and offering up some money or some beer to help you out. That way you would learn about your car, plus you would know that you werent getting used. Either that or have a friend with a lot of tranny knowledge ask the shop why the clutch could not be reused.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:59 AM
* B A N N E D *

yea this is my friends car, or i would try it out. i've helped out or did all the work on my own car, but i dont want the liability on a friend's car. i just want to make sure he isnt getting used. especially since this is the mechanic they have been going to. im thinking they have been getting used and if i can prove it, they will stop going to him.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff man, if I was in the area I would ride out with you guys to find out why they cannot reuse the clutch. Ask the mechanic and then post why he said he can't up here. We'll let you know for sure.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:57 AM

haha, the clutch and pressure plate are connected to the engine via the flywheel... if he's changing out the trans, he wouldn't even have to touch the clutch. I can't stand dishonest mechanics!!!

I have a friend who had the same problem as your friend, it started right around the time he did some burnouts. He thought it was the throwout bearing or clutch, so he replaced that and the problem was still there. It ended up being a bearing in the transmission, so he swapped the tranny with a '99 and problem solved.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:23 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: D-series tranny problems (muse)

ok i found out that pep boys put in the wrong clutch. thats why the mechanic said to replace it as well while they have the tranny out because in the long run it would cause problems. now can they go to pep boys with documented proof that the clutch was incorrectly replaced and have all their money refunded and charge them with the tranny replacement saying that the clutch they installed made the problem worse and therefore required a new tranny alltogether? hahah i wanna see if they can get pepboys **** to pay for the new tranny cuz now it looks like those ******* fucked them over.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for it man. If pep boys put in the wrong clutch, get them to at least pay back the money for the clutch and work that they did!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:40 PM
* B A N N E D *

yup... ****, its so hard to find a quality place now. i took my rims to a firestone tire shop to mount and balance my tires and they scratched 3 of em. mind u they were just minor nicks but still! i gave em good mint rims to put tires on and they scratched em. bastards. i got em to give me $120, the cost to repair my rims.

if pepboys does not refund at least the cost of the clutch and install, $350 i beleive, then they can be taken to small claims correct?
Old 11-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eeJayeiGht &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if pepboys does not refund at least the cost of the clutch and install, $350 i beleive, then they can be taken to small claims correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that is the exact reason that I do all of my own work. I would definately take them to small claims if they are not willing to work with you. I would want ever red cent I payed them back.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:52 PM
* B A N N E D *

cool thanks for ur help bro