Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D-Series questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-Series questions...

In the D-series Mega thread posted by Spade there were references to using a Cold Air Intake from the ITR because it is 3" as opposed to the 2.5" for the Civics. Does anyone have any pics of the intake installed on a D series motor?
I was also wondering if anyone had any expiriences with the Skunk2 Intake Manifold for the D series yet? Anyone with pics? How about opinions...likes/dislikes? I guesss what I want to know is, is it worth the money?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:50 AM

Default Re: D-Series questions... (chewiejdh)

What all do you have on your car? If you not running FI or dont have a really tight NA setup, the skunk two manifold is a waste of time and money. My friend just got one off ebay for his D16Z6 and is gunna put it on this weekend. Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D-Series questions... (turboEGdotCOM)

like he said ^. but about the CAI, there are aftermarket companies who make 3 in. piping like my DC DAC is 3". the intake manifold on the other hand is only something you wanna get if your are building a complete n/a set-up otherwise the gains are not too great. if your gonna get a cam, gear, IM, TB, blah blah blah then i would say yes, otherwise go FI or swap it out. my $0.02
Old 03-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should talk to Wil from Exospeed about hi head packages and cams. Hes using the Edlebrock ITM and says its well worth the money. Ive heard 5whp over stock y8 intake manifold. The Skunk2 Ive heard only makes power over the y8 w/ tuning. or like sohcMONSTER said, Go FI. (Supercharger, Turbo or Nitrous) those will be your better bangs for the buck
Old 03-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put a skunk2 manifold on my friends car with a built head and zex cam and everything. The gains were still minimal. I didn't notice any at all. You can raise fuel pressure when you get that manifold to make more power though.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:29 AM

Default Re: D-Series questions... (SOHC_MShue)

Thanks for the replies...actually I'm a little disappointed. I thought that the manifold would be a good part to upgrade. Now, I'm kind-of in "limbo" about what to do next. I don't have the money for turbo, so I'm sortta lost...

thanks though!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Soooo then what would you recomend as a more worth while upgrade? i had planned on the Skunk2 manifold being my next upgrade, but now...

What would you guys do next? I already have i/h/e. I don't really have the time to tear into the internals because this is my daily driver. Any ideas in the $350 range?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i put a skunk2 manifold on my friends car with a built head and zex cam and everything. The gains were still minimal. I didn't notice any at all. You can raise fuel pressure when you get that manifold to make more power though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
How can you add mods that change your a/f ratio drastically, then expect to see big gains without any tuning afterward??
Old 03-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get an aftermakret cam. I know its internals, but it will be fine for a daily driver. I run the zex stage 2 59300 cam on my daily driven y8 and i have no problems at all. I wouldn't completely rule out an intake manifold all together though. If you plan on building the motor up it would be a worthwhile upgrade. Also i'm sure you can get power out of the skunk2 by just tuning it like i said with maybe an afpr. I would probably pick the edelbrock manifold over the skunk2 though because that one has been dynoed at like 4-5whp without tuning on an i/h/e y8. The skunk2 only made like 1whp . There are claims of much more with tuning and the skunk2 manfiold though.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 AM

with the zex stage 2 cam, would I need to upgrade the valvetrain? What kind of power did you get from it?