Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D question...

What exactly is the difference between the D15 and the D16?

I'm building a D16 now, and a buddy has a D15 that I had to rebuild but now wants to try to build it up...

I've heard the D15 doesn't have much aftermarket support, but he's willing to spend about 2k on the project......

Is it possible to put D16 aftermarket parts in if you bore out the motor? are the Crank Journals the same, just a different stroke? Even if someone can link me to a thread where it explains it that would be great...

Thanks for anyone who can help.
-kuchta
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D question... (Kuchtaboy)

http://www.d-series.org

In case you haven't looked through there.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't looked there, no..

I'll go check it out later tonight.

Anyone else want to put any input forward?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, less aftermarket support and the cranks are different. Though the JDM D15b is a close brother to the Z6. To make it easy on yah, just build a Z6 or Y8 and be done with it...if your friend wants to spend $700 on Pauter rods that's fine with me. More power to him!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, That's what I had told him, but he want's to do with what he has now. It's actually the reason I have a Y8 now instead of the D15. Money isn't really a problem for him, so putting 700 dollar rods in won't be too big of a deal...

Has anyone on here build a D15 or did we all cheap out and go for the more realistic one? lol
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lots of information on d series on the web now.

if he wants to build a d15 tell him to at least buy a d15b vtec so he has the good crank and r/s ratio.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he already has the D15B2 motor...

Is that easy to add vtec too? And could I get the crank for that? I'm sure he'll be buying those $700 rods..
Old 03-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kuchtaboy)

is he turbocharging the car?

if he buys rods for a d15 then he might as well stick to the pm3 (stock) head unless he wants to pay out the *** for custom pistons.

srp offers pistons for the d15b2 but they only come in 9:1 and 10.5:1, 9:1 will be okay for turbo but if he wants a vtec z6 or y8 head its gonna pump up the compression considerably and he may also have valve clearance problems.

good luck finding a jdm d15b crank, if you did ever find one you wouldn't be paying 700 for rods because you would be able to use d16 rods.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah.. He want's to see around 250 out of it, so Turbo is pretty much his only option (realistically)

if he did the 9:1 pistons couldn't he still use a vtec head plus boost or would he not need that?

I know a guy selling a ZC head and I've heard that was best for boost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he could use that with the srp low comp pistons and get a pretty reasonable outcome, correct?

I'll tell him to put an eye out for the jdm d15 crank. Take it there aren't many for sale state side? If he were able to use the d16 rods that would make everything much easier cause then he could use the same pistons, correct? Just bore out the sleeve alittle more to fix.

So I'm guessing the D15 and D16 blocks are completely different but it's still okay to put a vtec head on it...?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kuchtaboy)

you need to have your friend read up A LOT more on the d.

some common facts

-the d15 and d16 have the same bore pistons.

-changing the head changes your compression ratio (combustion chamber volume)

-all 88-00 sohc d series have the same head bolt pattern and can swap across blocks

-d15b crank in a d15 will allow you to use d16 rods BUT NOT d16 pistons (compression height differences)

-there are many different versions of the infamous jdm "zc" engine, some came dohc and others came sohc in both vtec and non-vtec forms.

-a zc dohc head does not swap directly over to a sohc block, period. It also does not offer copious amounts of horsepower over a sohc head

-d15 and d16 blocks have the same transmission bolt pattern and motor mount bolt patterns, so your friend should simply swap in a d16 to be on the cheaper side (period)

i wrote this thread a couple years ago: http://www.sohchonda.com/forum...=6812

Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thursday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-d15b crank in a d15 will allow you to use d16 rods BUT NOT d16 pistons (compression height differences)</TD></TR></TABLE>

EDIT: Nvm. that's not the same. Ignore this part. lol

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thursday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-there are many different versions of the infamous jdm "zc" engine, some came dohc and others came sohc in both vtec and non-vtec forms. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the zc I can get is a non-vtec dohc. Sorry, I didn't carify.

Didn't know it wasn't a direct swap over to the sohc block tho. good information.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thursday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-d15 and d16 blocks have the same transmission bolt pattern and motor mount bolt patterns, so your friend should simply swap in a d16 to be on the cheaper side (period)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I knew about the transmissions being the same bolt pattern. I know a D16 is the easier motor to swap, and I've told him many times we could find him a d16, but the d15 is already up on the engine stand ready for tear down. Honestly the kid LOVES to throw money at things and when I told him not many people have done the D15 it made him want to do it even more.. He's sticking to it now.

That's the reason I made this thread, was to see what type of information I could find.

I found this thread:
http://www.d-series.org/forums...17840

I'm going to see if there is any way I can get that part number from the dealership tomorrow... I doubt it, but we'll see. It's worth a try. lol

Your thread is almost exactly what I'm looking for (I think).

I'll take a look at your thread tomorrow. Hopefully it'll answer any other questions I might have.. looks like a LOT of helpful information.

I have to get to bed.. classes start early tomorrow.