Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cx tach light

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cx tach light

so I have the cx model. so there isn't a tach (until i can spit up th emoney for a new cluster at least)
but I was curious if anyone knows what the stock shift light is set at. i feel like everytime it pops on the rpms can't be that high. in any case that damn light bugs the hell out of me haha.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cx tach light (tadashisan)

The light is just letting you know when to shift to avoid bad gas mileage. If your pressing lightly on the throttle it will come on at low rpms. If your hard on the throttle it will compensate by turning on at higher rpms. if your dont like it just pull the bulb out. Take off the cluster surround and take out the cluster. Turn it over and just twist the bulb out.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Re: cx tach light (davefromPA)

i had suspicions it was set on fuel economy when i watched for any patterns. interesting for sure. I'm just worried that when i floor her while in need of passing someone or whatnot that I'm going to hit redline without knowing. I used to drive an echo for awhile and it didn't have a tach but it sure as hell had a rev limiter. I don't know if the cx does but i kinda doubt it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you mean rev limiter not shift light. I have never seen a shift light on a stock Honda car. Your car does have a rev limiter however. I think it's 7500 rpm's to hit the limit.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: cx tach light (Budget Racer)

6500 on a cx.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cx tach light (longshot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Budget Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you mean rev limiter not shift light. I have never seen a shift light on a stock Honda car. Your car does have a rev limiter however. I think it's 7500 rpm's to hit the limit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I own a cx and the cluster it came with has a shift light. No tach but has a shift light. It also has the rev limiter but thats in the computer and does not light up in the cluster.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tadashisan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had suspicions it was set on fuel economy when i watched for any patterns. interesting for sure. I'm just worried that when i floor her while in need of passing someone or whatnot that I'm going to hit redline without knowing. I used to drive an echo for awhile and it didn't have a tach but it sure as hell had a rev limiter. I don't know if the cx does but i kinda doubt it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The light will come on before you hit redline. You will be fine. When your trial status is up find someone selling a cluster with a tach and you will never see that light again. If it is bothering you take the bulb out. You will feel when the car is getting near redline because it will plateau on power. That would be the time to shift if you are wringing out a 70hp engine.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Budget Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you mean rev limiter not shift light. I have never seen a shift light on a stock Honda car. Your car does have a rev limiter however. I think it's 7500 rpm's to hit the limit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

'92 - '95 CXs had an optional up-shift light integrated into the cluster up near the top by the right turn indicator (US version only). VXs also had an optional up-shift light, it goes where the cruise control indicator would normally be on an EX/Si cluster
Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 AM

oh trust me it's a upshift light like guy above me said. but is there a rev limiter in the car too?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Seagull Management

Yeah, there is, should be pretty close to 7000 RPM the redline is lower though, i know the D15B7 is around 6300 RPM, B8 should be similar, the ghetto way to race without a tach has always been wind the car out, note the speed at which it hits the rev limiter in each gear, and shift a little before that point.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Default Re: cx tach light (94EG8)

ya not sure what the shift light comes on at.... i bought a cluster that had the upshift arror indicator but i kept my EX cluster that has a tach already and i instaled a shift light in my glove box and extended the wires from the shiftlight and glued a led into the stock shift light location and used it to set as a mainly gas milage indiacator...
worked great.... and if i felt like racing it at the track all i had to do was turn the **** on the shift light in the glove box never raced it tho. but worked great for geting my best gas milage in that car!

alot of people just said listen to the motors sound but when i had the system cranked i couldnt hear it.LOL and sometimes was driving 45mph in 2nd gear because i didnt really pay attention
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cx tach light (addiction2bass)

clusters can be had for pretty cheap. keep your eye on the marketplace section. my buddy just picked up an si cluster for $40 all it needed was a few bulbs with the older cluster gladly donated
Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Seagull Management

Default Re: cx tach light (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clusters can be had for pretty cheap. keep your eye on the marketplace section. my buddy just picked up an si cluster for $40 all it needed was a few bulbs with the older cluster gladly donated </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, i've never paid more than $40 for an OEM cluster with tach for a 5th gen. Cheapest i ever got was $20 for an Si cluster with a broken temp gauge needle, i had an LX cluster out of an automatic in the car at that point so i didn't care, i swapped the needle and put the cluster in. The automatic cluster i paid $30 for and last weekend i bought an LX manual cluster for $40 at a junkyard.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM

thanks for the help guys. ill keep an eye on the market place once i get out of this trial shindig.
\
oh look i'm not trial anymore. celebration time!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CX/VX rev limiter is crazy low at 6200-6300 rpms. Yes, that light is the "fuel ecomomy" recommended shift point.