Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CV Joint...Odd Noise...Help???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint...Odd Noise...Help???

Aright so let me give a bit of a background on whats happened here...

About a year ago the boot on my cv joint was torn and spewing grease. So I did what I thought was right and took it to a local garage that I had do some work for me before, to have it fixed. Well needless to say the guy talked me into just getting them to replace the whole shaft. Skip ahead 3 weeks and I am under my car poking around and see it is spewing grease again....this time its is a smaller cut however. So again I figured hey its under warranty I should just get it replaced again for free. Also since it was so soon they gave me a void on labor charges.

This is where it starts to suck......

I get my car back and everything seems ok until I start driving it more and more and then I start hearing this odd sound that I honestly cant even describe. It is a mix of a pop and a crack kind of just odd sound I really have no idea how to describe it. So I take my car back in and they say they do not hear anything. So I just say screw it and deal with it because at the time it was not to bad. However, within the year it got progressively worse..So I took it in again and the guys tell me its my cv joint and its shot. So I have the work done..I get it back and it seems ok and now its making the noise again, this time however its gotten worse and gotten there fast. The manager told me however basically not to bring it back because he thinks that because my car is lowered that is what is causing the problem, and that I should take it to a more specialized person.

I guess I should explain the problem more in detail however....

When I drive my car slowly and make turns or slow down my car makes a very odd/indescribable noise from the right side of the car where my cv joint is. So What do you guys think I should do about this?? Just deal with it because I'm swapping the motor in a few years or attempt to fix it??

If any of this doesn't make sense just tell me and I will attempt to explain it more in detail

Thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV Joint...Odd Noise...Help??? (LeaveMeAloneClifford)

you need to bring it somewhere else...it sounds like you got another bad axle
Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Re: CV Joint...Odd Noise...Help??? (vtecb18c)

Yeah, but the thing is..its under warranty there..but they are claiming the reason its being caused is because my car is lowered.

P.S I don't think I mentioned this but..I do believe they beat the **** out of my car because you know when your strut smacks into the strut tower and dents it? Well my car when I gave it to them had zero dents and now it has a definitive dent on both strut towers. So I will not be taking my car back again.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Shenanigans

its obv your cv joint, you could just be getting bad axles, they just get rebuilt ones usually, but 4 or 5 times in a row is iffy, its possible the angle of the axle is causing alot of stress on the joint due to the car being lowered, how low is it? you could raise it back to stock and drive it with a new axle and see if it happens again
Old 06-07-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Re: CV Joint...Odd Noise...Help??? (H22Ej1)

Its really not that low, I'm on H&R Sports so its like a 2inch in the front and 1.7 in the rear. Well it would be two times bad axles and 1 time a bad boot. Whats the worst that could happen with it? I really cant stand the noise and want everything to be good but I just do not feel like dishing out another 100 for something that I've already spent hundreds on.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea its no low enough to make a difference in axle pitch...who cares if its under warranty it will cost you like 50 bucks after after core charge
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Re: CV Joint...Odd Noise...Help??? (vtecb18c)

Well I had my buddy take a look at it and drive it and he wants to lube up the bushings because he thinks that could be the culprit, but if not he can get me one for $35 and install it for free.