Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CV axle shake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 CV axle shake?

I have an eg sedan and I know that my driver side cv axle is bad, the boot is torn and I can hear it clicking. But my question is would that make my car shake under heavy breaking or cause any other problems along the lines of car vibrations?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV axle shake?

More likely lower ball joints. Vibrations come from many places. You might need new rotors, tires balanced & aligned, suspension bushings, or a combination of those things. If you can feel pulsation in the brake pedal when it shakes, that's usually rotors. Tires out of balance will usually be effected more at a certain speed, that is one sign. Take it in for the tires to be balanced and an alignment. The techs will check the bushings and let you know if one is bad.

You can't really start throwing money at parts until you take care of the obvious maintenance tasks like rotors, balancing, and alignments.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I checked my ball joints and the rubber around them isn't torn and there doesn't seem to be any play. But I do think ill need new rotors. While driving today I tried to see if I could feel the vibrations coming through the brake pedal when I brake and I can feel it and I noticed that the shaking/vibrating happens the worse around 50-55mph. Also I did just put on two fairly new tires on the front so I will need an alignment and balance. Just sucks cause the last time I took it to get the alignment and balance the mechanic said he wouldn't do it till I got the cv joint replaced. I'm just broke right now and cant get new cv joints.
Also, another question if you know the answer. I noticed on my steering arms are the boots and both of the boots are torn but just at one end, is that a really serious problem or should I not worry about it too much right now? I know the boots aren't that expensive to replace but as previously mentioned...broke lol
Old 10-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't worry about the boots. They simply keep dust out, not critical. I've had to take my suspension apart a lot recently and the ball joint seperator can tear up those boots quickly. You can't just wiggle the suspension to check for play. Take a pry bar and pry the ball joint around so see if it feels sloppy. If you don't have any experience check the other side and compare the two. If you are going for an alignment the techs should do this for you.