Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap

So me and a couple of friend began pulling out the Transmission in my 92 Honda Civic LX Sedan. We got everything detached from the tranny, got all the bolts loosened, and it came time to remove the cv axles, but we can't seem to get the lower ball joint off. We've got a ball joint seperator that can't seem to pull this jerk apart. A few people have just told me to beat the crap out of it with a 5lb hammer. I'm nervous about doing that cause I don't want to bend something.

I was hoping one of you guys knew a trick to it. Does the 1.25" bolt have to come off first?

Also if anyone in Bowie MD, or nearby areas are gonna be around after about 5 tomorrow interested in helping, It'd be cool. We can use all the help we can get.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (bpetruzzo)

All I do is (after you remove the castle nut and cotter pin) slide a separating fork in there and whack the hell out of it with a sledge hammer, then leave the fork wedged in there and whack the LCA near the ball joint and it'll come right out. If you do this carefully you won't rip the ball joint boot.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:56 AM

When we were switching motors in two cars last week, a hammer and a few good swings got that thing right out. Just knock the **** out of it.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (Double121)

I just stuck a ball joint seperator in there and stomped it with me foot. Didn't seem to break anything.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hit the lower control arm where the ball joint goes thur.
leave the nut loose on the ball joint so you don't mess up the threads.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:09 AM

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just stuck a ball joint seperator in there and stomped it with me foot. Didn't seem to break anything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your lucky..Everytime I ever used one I jacked up the rubber boot or I couldn't get it loose. Now a 5lb hammer is my best friend.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got one of these from my local auto parts store for about 10 bucks. It has paid for itself many times over.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:40 AM

i had the same problem. i kept hitting it with the hammer and nada.... so I just unbolted the entire LCA and swung it out of the way. balljoints suck
Old 11-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (aw1234dude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aw1234dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got one of these from my local auto parts store for about 10 bucks. It has paid for itself many times over.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got mine from Autozone, well worth the couple bucks. Get one , it was the small balljoint seperater.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah they can be a right bitch to get off, the only splitter i could get hold of at the time i did mine was too large to hook under the joint so i spent a few hours welding one up to fit, once it was straight i tightened it up with a 4 foot pole on the end of a spanner and my splittler bent into a mess.... in the end i couldn't be arsed so i took it to a decent garage and they couldnt get it off either (in a reasonable time) and warned that you can end up breaking a cv joint if you apply too much pressure using certain methods to get it off so i just decided to use a split type cv boot instead of doing it the proper way.. that puller looks a lot better than the one i had, much slimmer...
Old 11-19-2003, 07:47 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (exhondatech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exhondatech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hit the lower control arm where the ball joint goes thur.
leave the nut loose on the ball joint so you don't mess up the threads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the side of the LCA right above the ball joint, you will see a little "tab" sort of thing on each side....this is mean to be hit. Loosen up the nut, and wack this a few good times, and pull up on the hub assembly. Takes about 5 minutes max
Old 11-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (Emerika)

There are some that are really really frozen in there like mine i tried a pickle fork, the ball joint puller (what is used above) and nothing finally i got a 3 foot long sledge out and that is what got it out took like 10 min when i really started trying.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (99blackcivicSi)

Ok, so general consensus is, if I get one of those non-pitchfork ball joint seperators and it still doesn't come off, I'm to find the biggest hammer I can and beat the snot out of it?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpetruzzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so general consensus is, if I get one of those non-pitchfork ball joint seperators and it still doesn't come off, I'm to find the biggest hammer I can and beat the snot out of it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup. Be careful with the pickle fork, or even other kind of seperator that you dont rip the boot. They're only like $3 at the dealer, but theyre special order items around here in NJ.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpetruzzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, so general consensus is, if I get one of those non-pitchfork ball joint seperators and it still doesn't come off, I'm to find the biggest hammer I can and beat the snot out of it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why not just unbolt the LCA?? bolts are a lot easier then the balljoint will ever be
Old 11-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (Jswpstdoff)

loosen the castle nut a little bit... knock the surrounding of the ball joint with a hammer a couple times... they should come loose...

if you still cant get it off buy those ball joint separator tool.. (not the fork ones though, coz they will break your ball joint)
Old 11-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (Hammett)

All you need is the fork thing. I had a hell of a time with it at first. But then I realized I was being a *****. Get yourself a sledge hammer and wack the **** out of it. Don't be afraid.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:17 AM

Default Re: CV Axle Lower Ball Joint Removal During Tanny Swap (eh6turbo)

Yes, you all were right. A fork seperator and a ten pound sledge hammer. Only took to whacks and it popped right out.

Unfortunatly, It does look like I murderd the boot. I guess I'll be purchasing new ones and I'll have a new adventure this week.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:05 AM

So if I just unbolted part of the lca and yanked on the hub should I be okay?
Old 11-21-2003, 05:08 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

BFH