Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cut-off with non-HID projectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cut-off with non-HID projectors?

Do non-HID projectors produce a cut-off like HID's do? I've seen a couple of cars lately (specifically a Saturn L-something and a VW) flashing a beautiful cut-off that I thought would only come from HID. Or do Saturns have HID now? I know they're an option on the VW but I don't think this car had 'em. We don't see many cars here-more like seven Pickups/ SUV's to three cars. so I just noticed this phenomena.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cut-off with non-HID projectors? (B and B)

Nothing that's aftermarket for projectors is good for HID's.

Actually I know a lot of people that go back with their stock headlights because the projectors are horrible.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cut-off with non-HID projectors? (Apex i ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nothing that's aftermarket for projectors is good for HID's.

Actually I know a lot of people that go back with their stock headlights because the projectors are horrible.</TD></TR></TABLE>
been there done that (aftermkt projectors w/ h3 hids) results were - looks nice from outside BUT functionally was REAL crappy don't go there
I have some pics - none of the cutoff tho - which was AWFUL
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=462641
Old 07-24-2003, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cut-off with non-HID projectors? (adirondackR)

Get your **** yet??
Old 07-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cut-off with non-HID projectors? (B and B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B and B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do non-HID projectors produce a cut-off like HID's do? I've seen a couple of cars lately (specifically a Saturn L-something and a VW) flashing a beautiful cut-off that I thought would only come from HID. Or do Saturns have HID now? I know they're an option on the VW but I don't think this car had 'em. We don't see many cars here-more like seven Pickups/ SUV's to three cars. so I just noticed this phenomena.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the Saturn L-series has HID projectors (i think they are standard, but could be wrong).

I guess, what are you trying to ask? How good the cutoff is with reflector HID's? or how good the cutoff is for halogen projectors?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cut-off with non-HID projectors? (ill_take_one)

Ah i get it now..

Anyway, when i took apart my stock denji projector headlamps, the projectors in there are crap! I had to cut part of the base of the projector off to mount to my bi-xenon projector. So when i was doing that, i noticed that the shields inside of the stock projectors look nothing like the shields in HID projectors. They've got a totally different cutoff line, just judging by the way the shields looked.

I never did get to turn them on and see what the halogen projectors' cutoff was like.
I'm assuming that in cars that have factory halogen projectors, the cutoff is quite crisp, but not as crisp as HID projectors
Old 07-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cut-off with non-HID projectors? (ill_take_one)

Halogen reflectors and projectors are different then HID reflectors and projectors. And OEM projectors are diff from aftermarket projectors.
Aftermarket projectors are the absolute worst (even when regular lighting is involved IMO).
Old 07-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cut-off with non-HID projectors? (Apex i ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Halogen reflectors and projectors are different then HID reflectors and projectors. And OEM projectors are diff from aftermarket projectors.
Aftermarket projectors are the absolute worst (even when regular lighting is involved IMO).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly.

Almost all aftermarket headlamps suck as far as output and quality. They obviously don't put the R & D into their work compared to what the OEM part manufacturers do.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I meant OEM. I just didn't realize that halogen produced the cut-off effect at all. So when I saw cars that I didn't think were even avail. w/HID I was WTF? I've never noticed it on the Tegs though. Maybe cause the lens is so large? Speaking of HID's- saw an Evo tonight...beautiful cut-off. Sweet sound to turbo-starved ears.