Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

custom ram air. what do u think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom ram air. what do u think?

Old 08-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (demented_civic)

I see a front bumper with some dryer hose in it ... how bout some more pics ..
Old 08-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (Stryker908)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stryker908 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see a front bumper with some dryer hose in it ... how bout some more pics .. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, take some under hood pics at least.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Banned

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (96coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, take some under hood pics at least.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What good is it gonna do with just showing your bumper with tube stuck in there?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

That's dumb...

A. it isn't ramming anything.
B. that dryer hose has the flow charectoristics of a brick wall.
C. Chances are the turbulence around that front "inlet" gets too high for any air flow to get in there anyway...
D. If airflow did "ram" in there you just messed it up by clogging up the hole with crappy dryer hose.

Sorry to be harsh but it's pointless....

I cut out the "insert" on mine in hope of getting more flow to the cai but I wouldn't dream of calling it ram air (except as a joke) and I also wouldn't post pics and ask for peoples thoughts here... that's just asking for abuse.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (NonovUrbizniz)

This is what I did for my ram-air setup. It's track only, obviously.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (b16a ferio)

So you installed a iceman intake?

or is that custom?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's custom. Me and my friend made it ourselves.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you installed a iceman intake?

or is that custom?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It looks like the stock light with-out the glass and painted black.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (rob d)

the dryer hose idea doesnt work soo good b/c the air doesnt flow well at all.... considering most people make ridiculous bends....anywho. the black eh HB, nice setup. is it just the housing with a hole in it? or is it molded outta fiberglass? cool ****!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ghe-hetto-fab-u-lous

Old 08-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
B. that dryer hose has the flow charectoristics of a brick wall.

D. If airflow did "ram" in there you just messed it up by clogging up the hole with crappy dryer hose.

Sorry to be harsh but it's pointless....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe different ducting material would serve better here? It seems you are being just a bit harsh, you don't see any benefit of this combined with a free flowing air filter?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:39 PM
GSRswapandslow

you'll never get any kind of real "ram air" in a street driven honda....unless you are using FI. That's physics for ya.

You need to be traveling at a VERY high speed for "ram-air" to EVER come into affect.

All your doing is sucking cooler air into the engine. And that's if your intake piping isn't allready heat soaked from the under hood heat allready.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16a ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what I did for my ram-air setup. It's track only, obviously.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It might work a little but the key point here is the part about the turbulance. It will be so strong when your driving that not much air may actually make it into the hole.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (slvrcivic97)

A for effort, but its not going to be that functional.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (blackhatchy)

If anyone at all understands the true idea behind ram air, you will know that you will NEVER create a true ram air in a honda.

You know those crazy looking intake manifolds on the Toda engines, with the big round plentum attached to the runners with a very narrow inlet? That's teh closest thing to true ram air.

edit...this is what I'm talking about
Old 08-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (WAFFLES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If anyone at all understands the true idea behind ram air, you will know that you will NEVER create a true ram air in a honda.

You know those crazy looking intake manifolds on the Toda engines, with the big round plentum attached to the runners with a very narrow inlet? That's teh closest thing to true ram air.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's no where NEAR being ram air.... ram air is just that you have a BIG opening that faces the oncoming air... the force of the car moving forward "rams" the air into the big hole which narrows to a smaller opening (carb or tb)... this in effect forces the volume of air at the big end to be "forced" into the smaller hole...

the small hole in front of a large collector is taking advantage of the "venturi" effect.... by having a large air volume outside a small hole and a large volume behind the small hole it increase velocity of the air coming in through the small hole.

ram air is "forced" IE driving force of the increase air volume is the motion of the car/scoop through the air
venturi is "vacumed" IE driving force of the increased air volume is the suction of the engine being multiplied inside a large volume by having to suck through a small hole.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:18 PM
2.7(p/t)

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (rob d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rob d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It looks like the stock light with-out the glass and painted black.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I helped out b16a ferio make this headlight. You are correct by saying it is the stock headlight. However, the glass was removed and the opening where the headlight sits was cut off, enlarged, and replaced with a 3" pipe and fiberglassed into the headlight housing. We did it this way so it was a complete bolt on for Steve's (b16a ferio's) car.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (jazzyfoo)

Here are some close-up pictures for those of you who might be interested in making your own.

To make it, what I did was first take the glass off the front of the headlight (obviously). I then used a hacksaw to cut off the housing where the headlight bulb sits. Next, get out your dremel and enlarge that hole until you can fit your 3" pipe in there. Once the pipe was in, we layed down fiberglass to make it look a little better. We didn't take the time to use Bondo body filler (which would have made it completely smooth and you wouldn't be able to see the fiberglass like you can on mine). After that, we sprayed it down with like 5 or 6 coats of flat black paint. Then I got about 3 feet of 3/8" hosing, sliced it length wise and then wraped it around the headlight (kind ghetto, but looks better than nothing ) There ya go, ram-air headlight made from a stock EG headlight housing. You can hate on it if you want, I don't really care.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, that's actually pretty cool I bet you could do that to 6th gens the same way.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by demented_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

isnt this kinda dangerous?cant something like go in there and **** up your engine such as water and ****
Old 08-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (92SiHatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92SiHatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

isnt this kinda dangerous?cant something like go in there and **** up your engine such as water and ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I wouldn't worry about it. I tried his way of "ram-air" once. I never really called it ram-air personally, just extension of my stock airbox trying to get some colder air. I tested it on the highway and driving around town and in the rain and stuff, never had a problem. Only thing, it didn't really help out Now, the headlight I made...that's a different story
Old 08-08-2003, 09:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16a ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, I wouldn't worry about it. I tried his way of "ram-air" once. I never really called it ram-air personally, just extension of my stock airbox trying to get some colder air. I tested it on the highway and driving around town and in the rain and stuff, never had a problem. Only thing, it didn't really help out Now, the headlight I made...that's a different story </TD></TR></TABLE>

ohh.you said yours is only for track.whats under your hood?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom ram air. what do u think? (92SiHatchie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92SiHatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ohh.you said yours is only for track.whats under your hood?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: custom ram air. what do u think?