Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

custom exhaust idea... what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom exhaust idea... what do you think?

ok, i have a d16z6 all motor and nitrous street/ strip 95 coupe. the current exhaust i have is a dc 4-1 header coupled to a test pipe "cat". the cat-back is a stock exhaust w/ a cheapo canister muffler on the back, and the problem is, i want a new exhaust because i do run this at the track during season and the stock exhaust has kink-bends in it. not only that, the sound is deafening and raspy. my question is what would be the problem w/ fabricating a straight section of 2 1/4" exhaust pipe coming off the cat-back flange with a long resonator followed by a high performance muffler, no bends, similar to the "ground pounder" muscle car exhausts, stopping midcar. I know someone's gonna mention exhaust fumes, but i really don't think it would be a problem. the concept sounds unrestricting and cheap. would it sound weird or cause to too much backpressure loss? thanks because ive never heard of anyone doing this

Modified by sohc steve at 7:52 AM 11/18/2005

Modified by sohc steve at 7:52 AM 11/18/2005
Old 11-18-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (sohc steve)

Dude, It's gonna be LOUD.

No muffler plus resonator is still going to be loud.

Plus there's not going to be much performance gain by having an exhaust "dump" as they're referred to.

Backpressure is only really your enemy with F/I (i.e. Turbo/Supercharger)

Plus it's only a 4cyl (and i say Only because i own a 4cyl civic as well so don't take it as me being a smartass or cockey or anything)

Old 11-18-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (mattjp)

it is going to have a 18"-22" resonator follwed by a dynomax super turbo muffler, but it's just not going to bend and exit out the rear, and i want some back pressure, thus i'm thinking 2 1/4" exaust. you guys see what i'm thinking? not open header. it couldn't be that different sounding from a conventional exhaust, and i think it would be cool. that's what i'm leaning towards right now, so someone let me know any flaws in a system like this.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are worrying about how the exhaust bends why are you getting a Dynomax Super turbo muffler? The muffler is more restrictive than the over the axle piping. You will just be wasting your money.

BTW, I have the super turbo muffler and magnaflow 22" resonator in 2.5" and it sounds great!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (dwnthehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BTW, I have the super turbo muffler and magnaflow 22" resonator in 2.5" and it sounds great!</TD></TR></TABLE>I can vouch.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM

because i have kink bends in my stock exhaust piping and it's all rusty. also it would be a cheap and easy fabrication, and even lighter than having a full bent exhaust. i just don't want to spend $400+ on an apexi wsII. the system will be very unrestrictive but at the same time quiet. and that's another reason i want the dynomax muffler, because everyonelikes it, it's cheap, and most of all much quieter than my current raspy rice farter.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 AM

RSR GTII exhaust.. sooo straight and no resonators and no bends!

Old 11-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Trial User

Location: where police tryna cath you ridin dirty, CA, riverside

ugly
Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (pandaegy8)

I would think you would have clearance problems with the muffler scraping if you are low, fitment issues, and like it or not fumes could enter the vehicle. If you use a cheap muffler, you won't gain anything by doing this anyway.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (pandaegy8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pandaegy8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ugly</TD></TR></TABLE>

no way bro...
Old 11-18-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (boostin_elf)

i would be worried about how low it is. you better pray you never need a tow. Also, the raspy sound comes from the test pipe. a larger straigter exhaust will only be louder and raspier, regardless of the resonator. IMO, all those extra problems are not worth the 1-2 hp you might gain, just get some mandrel bent pipes, a hi-flow cat, and a muffler.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (boostin_elf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostin_elf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no way bro...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes way, "bro". And it hangs 2 inches from the ******* ground: you can't road race or autocross with that.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM

I have a crappy aftermarket header with no cat, no res, and a stock muffler and it is almost silent outside of the car it pops every once and awhile but other than that its silent
Old 11-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

type r exhaust. i picked up mine for 100 bucks.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:19 AM

You will loose back pressure and it will make you car slower, my last setup was gsr block wit ctr pistons and a b16 head with ctr cams and all the bolt-ons.plus rc 270cc injectors ecu ,b16 tranny ,4 puck clutch, 8 pound flywheel and i ran 2 1/2 all the way back from the header ..............worst thing i have ever done, it made my so much slower. i would not do it unless your motor is a 2.0
Old 11-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (Jtech_Kid)

I made my own similer to the pics i just took a straight 2 1/2 pipe from the header, below the gas tank w/ a 45 degree bend and a muffler on the end out to the right. it looks pretty ghetto and scrapes but it sounds and looks alright and i spent bout 50 bucks makin it because i'm cheap.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (Hercules)

Thanks for the pics JDMLifestyle, and that's the right idea, but I don't want it hanging out the back, but rather stopping before the stock exhaust starts to bend, like 2 feet behind the cat, get my drift. I can't go all the way back straight, I know I'll have ground clearance problems then, but right before the rear axle 6 inches or so is where the muffler tip will be. And no, you won't see the muffler from outside, and that's not important to me, and yes, I know the test pipeis not helping the raspy factor, but just bear with me. And thank you everyone so far for your input .

This is my effortless renderation of my idea photoshop style:

Yeaaa

Modified by sohc steve at 10:46 PM 11/18/2005
Old 11-18-2005, 09:06 PM

Go for it man... i think its a inventive idea and you could start something new.... try it and see what happens... if you dont like it then its not the end of the world... but if you do it you must do a writeup with pics... good luck
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (TsukubaDreams)

Tell us more when you do it!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes way, "bro". And it hangs 2 inches from the ******* ground: you can't road race or autocross with that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol why cant i autocross? i have and had no problem with it driving it hard through the course.

Speed bumps and here in Indiana we have some of the worst roads you can come across.. ive had the exhaust for damn near 2 years and as you can see that the exhaust is still flawless
Old 11-18-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (JDMlyfestyle)

i didn't notice you were a hoosier! horaay
Old 11-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks good! Throw one of these on the end of the muffler to keep the exhaust fumes from entering the car.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: custom exhaust idea... what do you think? (IHateJDM)

Dude, Mandarel bending is more for show.

If you go to a good shop that has someone who knows how to use a compression bender... You wont have any problems.

Plus, The flow gain from mandarel bending is minimal... Trust me on this, I work in a performance shop and we have a compression bender.

Mandarel is great for charge pipes on your turbo (we used those on our TT C5 Vette project) and compression bent exhaust.

Again, Mandarel bending isn't going to give you more than a 5-10 CFM gain in flow. I'd understand if you had a ****** F-1 car that you need to squeeze EVERY last pony out of... But we own civics. We don't need to go that crazy. Plus why waste the money on it when you can spend it on better suspension parts, or more motor mods.

Mandarel bending is pretty much for show. That's about it. Compression bending retains 90-95% of pipe diameter thru the bend. Crush bending and Compression bending get mixed up all the time. With crush bending it leaves the ridges thru the bends, causing exhaust turbulence and backpressure. Compression bends are smoothe and free-flowing.

As for you SOHC Steve, I think it'll work great. I just didn't fully understand what you wanted for your exhaust if you just wanted to "dump" it under the car.

If you're that concerned about weight and bends, I'd do the muffler under the car about mid way thru ( using a cherrybomb or something along those lines ) and dump it out the side before the rear tire.

That'll reduce maybe 1.5-2 feet of pipe. Granted you're going to shave about 10-15 pounds but with our cars... those few pounds might not make a big deal. They could if you're runing a 13.000 1/4 mile and want to shave it down to 12.999

Disclaimer: Horsepower, CFM Rates, and weight are all numbers off the top of my head. Please don't take them fully into considderation. They're mearly to show how minimal the gains are.